Thread: Formula 1
View Single Post
Old 7th November 2014, 09:23 PM

Thanks Lord Greystoke. Wasn't sure if anyone was keen on F1 but figured I'd post anyway on the off chance there were a few lurking about!

As Sportz said, Hamilton has effectively been the favourite ever seen it was clear that the Mercedes was miles ahead of the pack. With the pre-season testing clearly exposing Red Bull's massive engine issues with their Renault powerplant, I was very surprised they remained not only short but favourites still!

As Chrome Prince rightly pointed out, 1.20 is too short simply because of the number of things that can happen. All it takes is Lewis to DNF and they're effectively back on terms if Rosberg can win that race (with the best car, there's no reason he couldn't).

Further, the last race of the season is double points.
Worst case scenario for Hamilton:
*Brazil, Lewis wins and Rosberg DNFs. Lewis leads WDC by 49 points.
*Abu Dhabi, Rosberg wins and Lewis DNFs. Rosberg wins the WDC by 1 point!

Rain, reliability, plus numerous unknown factors (such as non-WDC contenders taking more liberties knowing that the Mercs will give way so as not to jeopardise DNF-ing) mean that despite the 24 point lead, Rosberg still has a decent chance.

Al Lewis has to do is finish 2nd to Nico in both races. But knowing Lewis, he won't do that at all, he'll try and win both.

Part of the reason for the 1.20 also is because Lewis has won 5 races on the trot. Realistically speaking the chances of him continuing the run become increasingly smaller surely (I know they're independent events but you know what I mean!).