Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Racing
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 7th September 2005, 05:57 AM
Banned

What are you trying to say, Xan? Aussies have some wacky slang?? LOL

I gotta tell ya something, every Aussie I've met or come into contact with has been alright with me! I do alot of Skiing and my Brother(moving to Perth next week, weird ain't it!) used to live near Jackson Hole, Wyoming, so on visits there I would come into contact with a lot of Aussies. Disclaimer: This is only my opinion so don't anybody get offended (can't see how you could anyway). Average Aussie: Happy go lucky, rowdy, beer not wine coolers, boisterous, above average intelligence but not smart ya know what I mean...down to earth, passionate(horses and skiing for sure), and excitable. Doesn't seem like there's too many bad apples down there, proportionately.

I do have alot of trouble with the lingo, but I first try to figure it out before asking. I have no problem asking because I'm an info freak.

My brother told me about a guy calling him something that could be construed as derogatory, but after explaining it he was only calling him a Yank! It seems like a lot of the sayings you guys use come from rhyming with the word it is meant to represent, like "Crocker" meaning shocker, and whatever that guy called my bro. That thing about Rona cracks me up, since we say that also, but mean "he's up to something" either good or bad. I don't see how people could be so dumb.
Old 9th October 2005, 07:43 AM
Banned

ALINGHI is rACING IN about ten minutes in the
Shadewell Turf at one mile. She is the 2-1 favorite right now. Funny that trainer Bobby Frankel took a shot at our Daily Raing Form because they have ALINGHI as leading in all her races in AUS. That's why I asked Sportz about that a while ago. Be back in a bit.
Old 9th October 2005, 09:26 AM
Banned

Host Explodes In Stretch For Shadwell Turf Mile Win
Lexington, KY (October 8, 2005)

Winning jockey Raphael Bejarano raised a fist after winning the Shadwell Turf Mile (G1) at Keeneland.
Host "exploded" in the stretch under jockey Rafael Bejarano to win the $600,000 Grade 1 Shadwell Turf Mile Stakes Saturday at Keeneland.

Still seventh with a quarter mile remaining in the one-mile turf race, the Chilean-bred 5-year-old charged down the middle of the course to prevail by a neck over Vanderlin.

"My horse broke good and went easily to the half," said Bejarano. "Even though he usually shows speed, he relaxed for me. When I asked him to run, he just exploded."

Vanderlin held the lead in deep stretch under British jockey Richard Hughes but the 6-year-old gelding couldn't hold off Host's stretch rally. Vanderlin held on for second, 2 3/4 lengths in front of Gulch Approval.

The time was 1:37.67.

Host won for the eighth time in 14 career starts and increased his lifetime earnings to $647,119 for Melnyk Racing Stables, Inc. He is trained by Todd Pletcher.

Host paid $22.80, $9.80 and $6. Vanderlin, who was sent to North America in mid summer, returned $19.20 and $11.20. Gulch Approval returned $12.

Australian champion Alinghi, the only filly in the 10-horse field, finished eighth under jockey Edgar Prado.

"This filly was training super leading up to this race," said Prado. "She just didn't like the give in the turf course today. She is a champion though, and she will be back to fight another day."

In the race prior to the Shadwell Turf Mile, Dawn of War earned a trip to New York for the Breeders' Cup Juvenile with an upset win in the $500,000, Grade 1 Lane's End Breeders' Futurity for 2-year-olds.

Jockey John Jacinto hustled the 36-1 outsider from the No. 9 position to the lead and the son of Catienus was never headed while posting his third career victory.

"This is the biggest win I have ever had," said Jacinto. "Mr. (trainer Dale) Romans told me that if I wanted to go to the lead, it was okay. My horse is fast and he ran easy."

Dawn of War avenged a loss to Laity in the Miller Lite Cradle Stakes last month at River Downs while running the 1 1/16 miles on the fast track in 1:48.77.

"This horse always tries hard," said Romans of Dawn of War. "We kind of let Laity get away from us a River Downs. From the outside we had to go. It's always nice to have a speed horse at Keeneland, regardless of how the earlier races have been running."

It was 3 1/2 lengths back to second-place Catcominatcha, who was 3 1/4 lengths in front of Kentucky Cup Juvenile Stakes winner Stream Cat. Sharp Attack was a neck back in fourth.

Greater Fool, who had won his only start three weeks ago at Belmont Park, collapsed a sixteenth of a mile past the finish line of apparent exhaustion. He was revived by veterinarians and track workers and walked onto a waiting horse ambulance.

Jockey Shaun Bridgmohan was thrown to the track but was not injured.

Dawn of War earned $310,000 for owners Ken and Sarah Ramsey. The win improved his career record to 6-3-3-0 and increased his lifetime earnings to $403,800.

The winner paid $74.60, $24.20 and $11.20. Catcominatcha, ridden by Rafael Bejarano, returned $16.60 and $8.60 and Stream Cat, with Mike Smith substituting for Kieren Fallon, paid $4.20.

In a supporting feature, Elusive Jazz took the lead at the top of the stretch and gradually pulled away to a three-length victory in the $266,500, Grade 3 Phoenix Breeders' Cup Stakes.

The 4-year-old son of Elusive Quality ran six furlongs on the fast track in 1:11.60 and posted his fourth lifetime victory in 14 career starts. He earned $165,230 for G. James Phelps' Stony Oak Farm, LLC.

"The Breeders Cup is coming up," said Bobby Barnett, indicating that Elusive Quality's next start could be the Breeders' Cup Sprint on October 29 at Belmont Park. "We'll see how he comes out of this race and then decide."

Wild Tale, a 21-1 outsider, rallied from sixth place to finish second, 11/4 lengths in front of third-place Premium Saltine. It was 13/4 lengths back to fourth-place in the field of eight 4-year-olds and upward.

Elusive Jazz, ridden by Robby Albarado, paid $17, $8.20 and $5 as the fifth choice.

"Bobby gave me great instructions," said Albarado. "He told me to keep him covered up. Horses have been coming off the pace today so I was comfortable with my position. He ran on well down the lane."

Wild Tale returned $19.20 and $9 and Premium Saltine paid $4.20.

It was the first stakes win for Elusive Jazz, who increased his career earnings to $306,931.
Old 10th October 2005, 03:36 AM
Banned

Trainer Bobby Frankel was obviously concerned about the condition of the Keeneland Turf course in the pre-race interview when he complained about the chopped up surface and why it was that way in only the second day of racing at the Keeneland meet. Alinghi didn't seem to like the turf, but also seemed to have nowhere to go entering the stretch and may have been reserved by jockey Edgar Prado when he realized he had no chance.

KEEP THE FAITH ran a very game third last weekend after setting blistering fractions on the front end against some of the best turfers here including ARTIE SCHILLER. Good to see the dirt race was a poor judgement call by Bin Suroor(real surprise there!)