Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Race Betting Systems
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 1st July 2002, 03:04 PM

Becareful's right, using $10 as the turnover figure is totally misleading.

If you used the $210, and the last bet lost. You'd be left with a Loss on turnover of $10/210 = roughly -5%. A much more accurate guide of your performance than -100%.

If you used $10 as turnover your record would look like this

No of selections
Strike rate
66%
No of bets
Strike rate
0%
Result
$10 loss
POT
-100%

Looks like you're betting on the wrong horse.

Old 1st July 2002, 03:08 PM

I guess the difference between our ideas is this - do you want to know how your selections are performing or do you want to know how your bank balance is performing.
Old 1st July 2002, 03:15 PM

If you get the selections right and use the most appropriate betting strategy - the bank looks after itself.

In golf, you won't have any birdie putts if you keep missing greens because you're choosing the wrong club to hit.
Old 1st July 2002, 03:41 PM

Freddy,

An allup bet can't have multiple dividends. It is one bet on multiple races. The only way multiple dividends can apply is if bets on each race are placed as separate entities.

I can't place a win bet on a horse and collect if it's in front at the 400 metre mark unless it's also in front at the finish line. You only collect on an allup if ALL selections win.

However, I take your point that the success of your underlying selection process might be hidden if you only take into account the strike rate of the allup bet as a whole, rather than the overall win strike rate of each selection.

Perhaps separate banks are the answer??

Old 1st July 2002, 03:52 PM

If a computer program automatically placed bets for you from winnings - what would your turnover be?
1. Initial bet.
2. Total of all monies wagered on total no of races.

Its the same thing as an Allup bet, you have the choice to place individual bets or have one automated bet that re-invests all winnings.

Old 1st July 2002, 03:54 PM

Hammers - the bank figure is exactly the same whether you record it as multiple bets or a single bet. eg. $10 on allup paying $2x$2xlose - initial bet is $10 so bank is -10, pays $20 so bank now +10, next bet $20 so bank back to -10, pays $40 so bank now +30, next bet $40 so bank back to -10, loses so bank stays at that.

Reenster - an allup is not a single bet - it is multiple bets that the TAB places for you. Each bet pays a dividend (if it wins) that is reinvested into the next race. This is the way the TAB accounts for it so why should we look at it any differently?

Of course this raises the question of would a serious punter place all-up bets automatically and lose control over the reinvestment? I certainly wouldn't because you have no way of knowing when you place the bet what the divs for 2nd and 3rd legs are going to be. Say you have an allup with $10 on first race which pays $3.00, 2nd race pays $4.00 but your last selection gets heavily backed and at jump time is only paying $1.10 the place - do you really want to risk your $120 just to get an extra $12 if you don't feel the horse deserves to be that short. Alternatively maybe the jockey for 3rd leg gets injured in 2nd race and is replaced by apprentice who has never ridden the horse before - again do you want to risk your $120? For me it makes more sense to place the bets individually so you can take your profit if something happens to change your mind about the 2nd or 3rd runners.
Old 1st July 2002, 04:08 PM

I think we have well and truly covered that issue.

Old 1st July 2002, 04:37 PM

Gee i did not want to start a war...lol....i agree with Freddy...as i put my bets on indevidualy for the all up...i would take the total amout invested.....i have been thinking about this and if you take each bet as an andividual then you must take each collect as one...see if you think this works
bet$10 wim $2x$2x$2
1st outlay $10
return $20

2nd outlay $20
return $40

3rd outlay $40
return $80

total outlay $70
total returns $140
top 100%

i guess at the end of the year if you have more money than you started with then you are in front...and thats what counts

[ This Message was edited by: Shaun on 2002-07-01 18:37 ]
Old 2nd July 2002, 08:13 AM

hi

the only time to use an "allup" bet is when you are placing your wagers early and will not have further contact with the tab for the day. this allows you to have a small bet, while not having any control, as stated in an earlier post, and the chance to receive a large divvy. otherwise bet each race individually for better control and no different profit.

there is nothing worse than to back several early winners just to see all your profits and stake lost on one lousy short head loser

therefore a betting strategy i would recommend to rid yourself of the "guilt" of so called allup betting, is to remove my initial stake as soon as possible and also take other small profits along the way if my days bet and price total allows

regards

dinodog