Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Racing
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 19th October 2002, 08:11 PM

What an exciting day!
Platinum Scissors is a good horse no doubt. But for Gay to say that she hasn't trained a better horse - she was a little carried away with the moment surely! And to suggest running him in the Melbourne Cup - she has to be kidding! I think that the Derby will come down to a race in three. Helenus, which I think will win and I thing could be something very special; Platinum Scissors; and Davidoff. I watched this horse race today and it was a certainty beaten. Oliver rode it probably too well! Never got a crack at them until got clear at the 80m mark, and would have beaten Platinum Scissors and co clearly if he could have got out.
Two really top line horses who have been badly out of winning form, bounced back today. Assertive Lad has done nothing lately, but was far too good, and the same story for Rubitano. We should just back the best horse in the race, and ignore recent form!
Such a theory would certainly have held us in good stead when betting on the Caulfield Cup today. Northerly was clearly the best horse in the race, and during running was never going to lose. Never ever going to lose. What a champion. Perfectly ridden - ridden like he was a good thing, and that's how it panned out. I thought that Distinctly Secret's run was outstanding, especially from a Melbourne Cup point of view. He looked the goods to me, but must wait till after the Mackinnon etc before we make our final decisions on the Cup.
Next Saturday has the potential to be the greatest race any of us have ever seen. If you think you can pick the winner using form, statistics, videos etc you are dreaming. Grandera is the unknown but according to the mail, only has to stay out of trouble to be right in the finish. What a race! The other four chances are Sunline, Defier, Lonhro and Northerly. All champions who are to be admired and respected. Nothing else has a snowball's chance of winning. I can't wait! And the shame is that it will be over in two short minutes, but let's hope it is the spectacle that we are all salivating over. It shapes as a race to stay in our memories forever. My advice is to not bet, but just enjoy the experience. If you must bet, back the one which will give you the most goose bumps if it wins. The one that you really in your heart want to win it. And I know for me that that is Sunline. Her last race! What a shame, but we knew it would all end someday. I hope she goes out a winner, but that's just me. What do you all reckon?
Old 19th October 2002, 08:59 PM

Well done Punter65, you expressed many of my thoughts I was going to say after Northerly's performance. Handicap or WFA he has the goods. Though I think it was just guts and heart that kept him going strongly those last 100m to keep Fields Of Omagh at bay.

Back to 2040m and WFA. That won't affect his weight though it does act as a handicap to just about every other horse except Sunline. Yes, which horse to win and which to miss out. The only solution is the biggest deadheat in history, but that would be just as cruel.

I predict Northerly by a nostril to Lonhro with Sunline on the outside to get her full body in the photo finish of all time. Where is Defier? Victim of those last 40m.

I agree, no bets just watch the spectical.
Old 20th October 2002, 01:26 AM

I have a point of view when it comes to races like this...want to get goosebumps?

Don't watch the race live or listen to the radio. Videotape it and replay the whole race in slow motion. I have done this before - it's heart in the mouth stuff!

Seriously, I WANT Sunline to win.

Unfortunately, she is on the way out and others are on the way up. Imagine the extra millions the connections would get if she won her last race being a Cox Plate!
Old 20th October 2002, 06:38 AM

Spotted the runs of both Davidoff & Distinctly Secret myself punter65. Both should have at least run a place.