Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Race Betting Systems
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 7th December 2012, 08:03 AM
Vortech

Default More Testing

Just a quick question. Over the past 3 months I have tested a total of 1561 systems from the period 2008 through to 2010. Systems only passed the test if they profited in each year.

146 systems remained so I tested over 2011 and 2012.

Out of these 14 remain.

I've managed to source out a way to get more data going back to 2000.

Lucky dip part 2.

A. Pay the monies to get the data and test my 14 systems hold up. Does data from 2000 to 2007 merit any meaning to today's racing.

B. Start betting?

Selection sizes range from 89 through to 1021 and the Pot varies as you can understand.
Old 7th December 2012, 08:26 AM

Lucky dip part 2.

A. Pay the monies to get the data and test my 14 systems hold up. Does data from 2000 to 2007 merit any meaning to today's racing.

B. Start betting?

Selection sizes range from 89 through to 1021 and the Pot varies as you can understand.

C. Offer a selection of the 14 to Joe P (>150 sample size?) - "tested over last 5 years" etc. Any bites - collect the $$$ and then buy the additional data

D. Offer any remaining systems that stack up over 10yrs as a Premium offering

E. send us a post card from Honolulu you sod!

LG
Old 7th December 2012, 08:37 AM

PS Top system in each category might be marketed as System V (5 years results) and V+ (10y+)

Let them work out what the "V" means?

Lots of wedge, Mr V (and a coupla nice Hawai shirts thrown in)

LG
Old 7th December 2012, 08:54 AM
Vortech

LG your an ideas man thats for sure.
Old 7th December 2012, 11:37 AM

Depends how much the data costs IMO, I purchased some NBA season data from a website from the past 6 years but only because it was cheap as chips and was formatted in excel exactly as I wanted.

I'd say data based on previous 3-4 years is getting close to enough so if you could source maybe 07 and 06 on top of that i personally believe that would be enough but others may have a better idea. Also i'd suggest you need more data for the systems that have had fewer selections over the last 3-4 years. Whereas the systems that have had more selections you probably need less additional data.

Not sure about your mentality towards systems but I like the idea of having something in play every 1-2 days even if it means my POT and ROI is lower then someone looking for the perfect winner twice a month or something. It's personal preference but thats just how I am, so that might help point you towards which systems you want to concentrate on and determine how much additional data you need.

The other idea is rather then purchase additional historical data is to actually forward test these 14 systems over the next say 3-4 months (if you have the time up your sleeve and not in a hurry).

Lots of options and paths you can go down, depends a lot on your mentality IMO. If it was me i'd probably start live betting them with small money but others would say thats a rubbish idea because its not proven against data you haven't used to create the system or test it. But thats just the gambler in me, i'd prefer to give them a shot that they work .
Old 7th December 2012, 11:46 AM
Vortech

Thanks evajb001.

I was going to test the data over the next 6 months leading into the 2013.

Appreciate your comments
Old 7th December 2012, 05:57 PM

Don't worry with more data.

Test with small stakes now. Who cares if it made a profit in 2000!!!!
You only care should be that its making a profit in 2013 as that is what matters.