Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Racing
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 17th May 2005, 04:52 PM

Default 3KG apprentices on topweights

If you analyse the races on a continuing basis you will note the folly of backing topweights with 3kg apprentices employed to allay the impost of topweights in handicap races(eg. 61kg and above).
Whilst the utilisation of a "3kg boy" will definitely benefit the horse in respect of weight carried, the loss of judgment, cunning, experience and acumen displayed by the senior jockeys will outway any percieved benefit of employing this category of rider in the long-term.
I recommend that any form student think very closely about this in the future.

Cheers
Old 17th May 2005, 05:18 PM

It depends on who the "boy" is.

J. Mott is a star.

It would be seemingly no disadvantage to have him on board.
Old 19th May 2005, 03:48 PM

Default 3kg apprentices on topweights

Yes, hullo, your point is valid but as we have seen in the past, 3kg "boom" apprentices certainly are worth following while they are "hot."
Due to their ongoing success they certainly get onto better horses but invariably soon lose there weight allowance or have it diminished and only the elite or select few go on to greater heights as senior riders(eg. D. Gauci, D Oliver etc). No offence to these riders but only those of particular talent prove to be stars of the future.
I'm mainly talking about those 3kg boys put on to relieve the impost of a well performed runner which is in the market for today's race but the connections of these horses in most cases would be better off utilising a competent senior rider due to the fact that less "dead weight" is carried by the horse.
Better balance, race tactics and experience displayed by the senior rider will in most cases outway the perceived advantage of lightening the weight the runner has to carry.

Cheers.
Old 30th May 2005, 04:20 PM

Default 3kg Apprentices on topweights

Since I posted my last article, have you noticed that in the four Saturday metropolitan venues that this category of rider has resulted in the following:
0-17, - did you get that!
Quite a few of these were favourites and I noticed that some form "experts" continually select this category of runner in their "tips."
I am only attempting to point out to serious punters that this category of rider should be eliminated in their form study or should be viewed warily.
The only exception I make is when a topweight is ridden by these 3kg boys when the runner has a history of jumping to the front at the start and leading.

Cheers.
Old 31st May 2005, 07:24 PM

I reckon if your backing a horse with a 3kg claimer on it, you want it to be a leader or on pacer. As long as the kid can sit on then the claim is an advantage. If it gets back unless the kid can actually ride they often struggle to balance the horse and get into it. On a front runner though as long as they're reasonably balanced I'm happy to back them.
Old 2nd June 2005, 02:55 PM

To be more precise in this matter, what I originally meant was to be cautious of those topweights to be ridden by 3kg apprentices and the horse is still favourite for the race in question.
Media hype and vested interests assure the public that this horse will continue on it's "winning way." However, the astute punter will soon realise this a trap for the unwary.
That is the point I am making - just be aware of the pitfalls.

Cheers.
Old 2nd June 2005, 03:19 PM

Yes umrum I agree with your opinion and it reiterates what I have stated previously. That is, that 3kg apprentices on a topweights are OK as long as the horse has a history of being a frontrunner eg. that great old campaigner, Star Of Florida, whose consistent wholehearted performances now assure him of imposts in excess of more than 63kg in any race he contests.

Cheers.
Old 2nd June 2005, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanadu
Yes umrum I agree with your opinion and it reiterates what I have stated previously. That is, that 3kg apprentices on a topweights are OK as long as the horse has a history of being a frontrunner eg. that great old campaigner, Star Of Florida, whose consistent wholehearted performances now assure him of imposts in excess of more than 63kg in any race he contests.

Cheers.

cheers mate, good points.