Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Racing
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 6th November 2006, 01:12 PM

Default Efficient-Greed, Glory or Wisdom?

Hi all,
I'm new and thought I'd introduce myself a little and get some opinions on a subject of interest at the same time.
I love horseracing and punting, and I have studied punting for only six months.
I am at the point where I realise I know nothing about it, at the point where I bet heavier if the odds are poor and wail when the little bet I placed on a long odds choice that seemed to be the horse with as much reason to win comes in and my 'sure thing' gets beaten....lol
I love the horses tho, and EWfficient has me wondering about what you more experienced fellows think.
I admired the grace and balance of the slender champ each time I watched it run and think it is something special. I realise it isn't developed physically yet, but damn it is a fine specimen at speed.It also seems to be half asleep when it finishes, so relaxed despite the leg blur.
When it got entered in the Melbourne Cup I was shocked, thought it must be a publicity stunt.....surely it is too valuable to risk?
So I wonder about other opinions....is it a matter of greed, winning the Cup now..or is it wisdom.....is it capable of winning without risk of breaking down ...or is it the chance for a sick owner to win the cup with his prodgeny for glory?
Old 6th November 2006, 01:50 PM
Banned

g'day diogenes, welcome, i personally don't think its a good idea for efficient to run in the cup.....and rogerson sure knows how to slaughter them. its having its 3rd run in 10 days / 4th run in 20 days, and i think as you suggested, that it is too valuable to risk. its last few runs have all been spectacular and it could be a future star however i don't think it is a real chance of winning tomorrow and should be spelled and work towards the cups/cox plate for 2007
Old 6th November 2006, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogenes
Hi all,
I'm new and thought I'd introduce myself a little and get some opinions on a subject of interest at the same time.
I love horseracing and punting, and I have studied punting for only six months.
I am at the point where I realise I know nothing about it, at the point where I bet heavier if the odds are poor and wail when the little bet I placed on a long odds choice that seemed to be the horse with as much reason to win comes in and my 'sure thing' gets beaten....lol
I love the horses tho, and EWfficient has me wondering about what you more experienced fellows think.
I admired the grace and balance of the slender champ each time I watched it run and think it is something special. I realise it isn't developed physically yet, but damn it is a fine specimen at speed.It also seems to be half asleep when it finishes, so relaxed despite the leg blur.
When it got entered in the Melbourne Cup I was shocked, thought it must be a publicity stunt.....surely it is too valuable to risk?
So I wonder about other opinions....is it a matter of greed, winning the Cup now..or is it wisdom.....is it capable of winning without risk of breaking down ...or is it the chance for a sick owner to win the cup with his prodgeny for glory?

i reckon its because the owner is sick and its his last chance to own a mc horse....deinitely! doubt it will run though, can't win this year, but its a big chance next year...
Old 6th November 2006, 05:29 PM
Suspended. Invalid e-mail address.

Greed. Expecting far far too much of a 3yo.
Old 6th November 2006, 11:37 PM

Thanks for responses guys
Thanks for the welcome Chuck, appreciated, I also think it is covered well in the cup, and hasn't it done enough already eh?
Well, I am completely confused with the cup, Tawqeet looks the one but I am going to have a little each way on Geordieland and a few cheap trifecta's and be done with it. I think I must have been swayed by the clairevoyant!!
Best of Aussie luck to all tomorrow!
Old 6th November 2006, 11:59 PM

diogenes welcome to the forum,

Lloyd Williams is not a stupid man I am sure if the horse was showing any signs of being at the end of his tether he would not be running it tomorrow, Now in saying that do I think it will win? no Would I be surprised is he does win not really to be honest. He has struck a weaker than usual cup field and that gives him a chance but look at the fact he meets a good 4yo like Maybe Better 1 KG better he isnot well weighted in the race. Good luck to them if he wins he will be hailed an absolute champion but he is way unders and badly weighted.
Old 7th November 2006, 05:49 AM

Here in the U.S., it is unthinkable to run a stayer more than once every 3-4 weeks. Of course most here run on the dirt, but FOUR outs in 20 days for a 3 year old? Unbelievable. I think our local state licensing authority would surely jerk that trainer's license.

Welcome to the forum diogenes. I've been here about 2 years and still learn more everyday.

Regards,

Glenn

Retired or retarded? Much the same. I'm retired...

Last edited by TheAvenger : 7th November 2006 at 06:07 AM.
Old 7th November 2006, 07:26 AM
Suspended.

Anyone here who knows anything about breeding, will quickly tell you Efficient is not a stayer's fetlock. It's breading suggest a genuine 1600m horse. If it can get sit and sprints in longer races it can win them.

OK if the Cup is just a slowly run sit and sprint, ANY horse can run 3200m but in any truly run staying race, Efficient and several other runners in the Cup would end up a very long way from the winners.

Last edited by crash : 7th November 2006 at 07:30 AM.
Old 7th November 2006, 07:30 AM

Crash I can't let to many secrets out can I
Old 7th November 2006, 07:33 AM

Did I hear right, Efficient to be scratched?