Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Race Betting Systems
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 6th March 2011, 02:03 PM
Banned

Default Questioning the Don Scott approach

Is there any point using the Don Scott approach to handicapping anymore? Firstly, as many use this approach value is very hard to find, but more significantly, the framers of the ratings based handicaps essentially use this approach so the horses would most likely be handicapped in accord with the DS method.

I am convinced that to win it is essential to get over the odds and to do this one has to look outside the square, betting on horses others have overlooked. Is it time to examine time-weight again?
Old 6th March 2011, 02:54 PM
Suspended

If you going to follow the same path as many others, then you must be capable of doing it better , or you shall lose.

The only way to beat them is to find a path that is not being followed, but is in fact shorter.
The problem is that after a hundred years or whatever, most paths have been explored.

An area that could work is to limit your studies to finding longshot winners.
Most Punters try to back the winner of the Race and that is usually amongst the Favoured Runners, and the Price will often be pretty much an accurate reflection of the Chance of Winning.
But of the roughies, the Odds are only approximate, sometimes VERY approximate.
Amongst these roughies are to be found Overlays.
Old 6th March 2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunny72
Is there any point using the Don Scott approach to handicapping anymore? Firstly, as many use this approach value is very hard to find, but more significantly, the framers of the ratings based handicaps essentially use this approach so the horses would most likely be handicapped in accord with the DS method.

I am convinced that to win it is essential to get over the odds and to do this one has to look outside the square, betting on horses others have overlooked. Is it time to examine time-weight again?
There is nothing wrong with DS's approach, even today.

And as long as PT Barnham's maxim holds true, and I see no sign of it being proven wrong, astute punters will WIN.

There are even free DSct ratings given out, but does the average punter take any notice or analyse them?

No he does not.

But each to his own beliefs.

Good luck
Old 6th March 2011, 04:07 PM

I am confused, if any of you think you are following a Don Scott method that made and lost him a fortune you are sadly mistaken.

I read his books and can say that racing has changed in such was regarding weight and class that he would have to create a whole new idea for today's racing.
Old 6th March 2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun
I am confused, if any of you think you are following a Don Scott method that made and lost him a fortune you are sadly mistaken.

I read his books and can say that racing has changed in such was regarding weight and class that he would have to create a whole new idea for today's racing.
Shaun
You may have read his books but not followed what happened to him and his punting.

And may I pray, you tell us what changed?
Old 6th March 2011, 04:30 PM

The minimum weight was raised, this was a key element in working out his weight ratings, as you would have noticed most of the lower class races have changed from what was around in his day.

I am not saying you can adapt his method but is today's Don Scott ratings as good as they were in his day, maybe or maybe not.
Old 6th March 2011, 04:50 PM

Quote:
The minimum weight was raised,
I can't see the relevance.

Quote:
I am not saying you can adapt his method but is today's Don Scott ratings as good as they were in his day, maybe or maybe not.
The oldest and most successful (POI) purveyor of racing info is still happily using his weight and (modified) class ratings, and while my opinion doesn't matter, so am I, and the bank balance speaks for itself.
Old 6th March 2011, 06:07 PM

Here are some interesting things usign DS ratings and R&S.

If you bet the DS highest rating selection you lose 16% on unitab.

If you bet any horse that were priced higher then the rated price you lose 20%.
If you bet any horse that are at least double overlays you get a los of 18%.

If you took the highest DS Rating selection and those that were overlays you get a 15% loss.

All figures are unitab.

The DS Rating system obviously needs some filters for it to be proftiable.
Old 6th March 2011, 06:54 PM

Or maybe you lay some of them (using filters)
Old 6th March 2011, 08:47 PM
Banned

got a mate who only backs lucky number 7 - last time i asked him he reckons he was only doing 15-20%...