Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Sports and Gambling
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 5th October 2004, 12:52 PM
Former Member

As a mad keen cricketer myself can't wait for this series to start tommorow.
Dont worry about the ASHES, the Gavasker/Border trophy is the biggest in World Cricket at the moment.
There was a picture of the pitch in the Herald/Sun today. Took about doctoring wickets, it has massive cracks in it already and looks like a 4th day pitch.
I got set on India at $4.75 to win. That would have to bet the best value bet i've had for a long time.
As a proud Vic, we may even get to see White play his first test in this match, but, in reality what a disgrace Macgill isnt there. Ive no doubt the Indians will play all three spinners.
Old 5th October 2004, 01:50 PM
Member.

Believe it or not, this was actually supposed to be the most pace-friendly wicket of the whole series, but they've sure put a stop to that. We'll probably just play the one spinner with Katich, Clarke and Lehmann as part timers.

I've backed India to win the series, but this is probably as good a chance as we've had to win there. Katich, Lehmann and Clarke are all good players of spin and they weren't there last time. Also Kasper is a good bowler in these conditions and he wasn't there last time either. I agree it's ridiculous McGill isn't even in the squad.

[ This Message was edited by: sportznut on 2004-10-06 08:34 ]
Old 5th October 2004, 01:54 PM
Member.

Quote:
On 2004-10-05 12:52, mug punta wrote:
Dont worry about the ASHES, the Gavasker/Border trophy is the biggest in World Cricket at the moment.

I agree that India vs Australia in India is a great contest. But I still think you are underestimating England. Despite what many complacent Aussies think, next year's Ashes series will be extremely tough to win and it WILL be between the number 1 and 2 teams in World Cricket. Think about that.

[ This Message was edited by: sportznut on 2004-10-06 08:35 ]
Old 6th October 2004, 11:12 AM

jesus christ, sportznut. a sensible reply regarding english cricket from an aussie :smile i dont believe it!! but i do partly agree with you, it will be a thriller next year if everyone is fit to play. We now have a bowling attack that is second to none when fit. We just need a spinner with top quality, giles is good (much better when he doesnt have to just defend and slow scoring rates) but to have someone like warne or kumble or singh would make us the real deal...

If you lot beat india though it cements this last 5 years as the greatest cricket team in history for me imho.

And when we beat you next year it will make us nearly as good.. heh heh

good luck against india, i think you will need it.
Old 6th October 2004, 11:27 AM
Former Member

Thats what I love avout this forum. Its all opinions at the end of the day.
At the MOMENT, these are the number 1 and 2 sides in the world.
No doubt that the Poms are on the improve but I expect us to wipe the floor with them come the ASHES. Again just an opinion.
Old 6th October 2004, 12:17 PM
Member.

People tend to rate other teams only on how they play against their own team, because that is when you really take notice. India happen to play very well against us, especially IN India, but I think they're only 5th or 6th in the latest rankings.

England are definitely the 2nd best side based on performances against ALL nations, but as most Aussies rate them ONLY on how they play against us, it's no surprise they think they're hopeless. Some Australian fans may get a nasty shock next year if they underestimate them though. I get the feeling that unlike some past English teams, Michael Vaughan's team WON'T be intimidated by playing against us.

[ This Message was edited by: sportznut on 2004-10-06 12:21 ]
Old 6th October 2004, 12:42 PM
4theboyz

Can't remember the last time we won a test series against India in India. The Aussies will find it tough.
Old 6th October 2004, 12:45 PM

About 35 years between drinks 4theboyz!

Old 6th October 2004, 12:55 PM

Does anyone know of a radio station covering this test?
Im looking for one that broadcasts on the internet, but just the name of your local station would help

[ This Message was edited by: Fernando on 2004-10-06 13:00 ]
Old 6th October 2004, 03:51 PM
Member.

ABC radio is broadcasting it, but I'm not sure if you can pick it up on the net.