Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Racing
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 29th August 2006, 04:55 PM
Suspended.

So now we have punting being all about 'mathematical formula' .
OK, so any half decent shopkeeper [or maths teacher for that matter] should be a punting marvel !

Punting has never been about maths [any idiot can use a calculator]. Maths is involved sure, but so is breathing air. All the maths ability in the world won't tell you who is going to win the next race. If there was a maths formula for winning on the punt, everyone would have it by now and there'd be no punting industry.

Last edited by crash : 29th August 2006 at 04:59 PM.
Old 29th August 2006, 05:05 PM

Ahhh Crash,,the planets have collided.I agree with you. )

We are up to post 120 in this thread and so far TheEasyRun has said nothing.

He has told us "what he is going to tell us" but so far he hasnt told us.

We have digressed into mathematical probabilities and possibilities,as Bob Dylan said,"There's a battle out there and it's raging".But so far,after 120 posts nothing of any consequence has emerged.

It's not a question of a new poster with new ideas being lambasted.Other than a couple of,"I can do such and such" statements, no new ideas have been forthcoming,and the whole thread has degenerated into something akin to an American soap opera.

Anyway I'm sure there are more episodes.
Old 29th August 2006, 05:15 PM
Suspended.

Smile

I agree and aren't most of us glued to our tele every night watching them [soap operas].
Old 29th August 2006, 06:00 PM

Hopefully TheInsideEdge will start a new thread when he continues. For blatantly obvious reasons.

Meanwhile, Crash,

the recent superiority of pragmatic mathematicians in this caper is now well-documented and cannot convincingly be disputed.

The really useful maths involved is not taught here in traditional institutions but thanks to the Internet those with the basics can eventually ferret the gems out.

If they persevere then AssumeTheCrown and maybe some other youngsters here can look forward to expiring as billionaires.

Those longer in the tooth can only aspire to a fraction of that.
Old 29th August 2006, 07:02 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash
OK, so any half decent shopkeeper [or maths teacher for that matter] should be a punting marvel !

Punting has never been about maths [any idiot can use a calculator]. Maths is involved sure, but so is breathing air. All the maths ability in the world won't tell you who is going to win the next race. If there was a maths formula for winning on the punt, everyone would have it by now and there'd be no punting industry.

[any idiot can use a calculator]

you havent met my missus have you crash. LOL
Old 29th August 2006, 07:25 PM

Quote:

Crash I believe you are confusing picking winners with punting to make a profit.

Any idiot can pick winners, the challenge lies in making a profit and that is where the maths comes in.

I could pick 30 to 40% of winners and still lose because the odds are against me.

Maths is used to find the winners that are value.

The whole gambling industry revolves around maths as Shaun said, that's how bookies and Betfair "traders" make their profit.

While the actual handicapping is the first stage, it's all pointless if you can't make a profit from it.
*RaceCensus now updated to 30/06/2024
Video overview of RaceCensus here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W821YP_b0Pg
Old 29th August 2006, 07:35 PM

Quote:

I never said it was the only thing to punting, but it is a big part of it.

Don Scott used maths to find the best weighted horse in a race.

Many now use time ratings to work out the best prospect to bet on.

It is possible to pick winners and make a profit by just using maths, as it is possible to do the same with out maths.
Old 29th August 2006, 10:28 PM

Syallbus23, Glad to see you are fan of "The Man" from way back!!!!! you could also say "The loser now will later the Win", but there again I'm just a "Fanciful Twit"
Old 29th August 2006, 10:33 PM

Quote:
I agree and aren't most of us glued to our tele every night watching them [soap operas].

NA!
Old 30th August 2006, 05:10 AM
Suspended.

Cool

[QUOTE=Chrome Prince]Crash, I believe you are confusing picking winners with punting to make a profit.
Any idiot can pick winners, the challenge lies in making a profit and that is where the maths comes in.
QUOTE]

Chrome,
You have the art of mis-direction down to a fine art [I said: 'any idiot can use a calculator' which you have mis-directed to mean: 'any idiot can pick winners' etc. etc.

Only you could interpret [imply] from my post that what I referred to as 'punting' in the context of my post, meant anything else than making a profit and then move smoothly into reverse gear back to maintaining punting is all about mathematical formula: 'The whole gambling industry revolves around maths as Shaun said, that's how bookies and Betfair "traders" make their profit'.

The whole universe revolves around maths, but as with many pastimes, maths won't make you a good living from it. See how good a golfer, chess player, surfboard rider or lawn bowls player [or 'successful' punter] you can become with your mathematical formulas chrome :-))

PS: I ain't never seen you shine here picking winners mate, but you sure talk about it a lot [of hot air?] :-),

Last edited by crash : 30th August 2006 at 05:24 AM.