Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Racing
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 10th October 2005, 03:51 AM
Banned

Pretty much a joke if Sir Dex doesn't get in after the prep races he has run. He's beaten some very good ones and only has the one bad race as I recall(last out).
Old 10th October 2005, 06:07 AM

SS it is a joke if either of those horses don't make the field they are both top quality stayers and are both very realistic chances in this race but if they both get in they are only just going to scrape in.
Old 10th October 2005, 07:54 AM

I really think that they should do everything in their power to get the best in form horses into the big races. For example, perhaps the first 4 or 5 horses home in the Turnbull Stks and Yalumba Stks plus the winners of a couple of other races on Oct 1 & 8 should all be exempt from the ballot. It would be ridiculous if Confectioner and/or Sir Dex don't get in and some of the other non performing qualified horses do.

Last edited by Sportz : 10th October 2005 at 07:59 AM.
Old 10th October 2005, 08:15 AM

No Sir Dex has not run a bad race. His last start was good. It is a joke if Sir Dex does not get into the field. He should be in the top 4 in the betting not struggling for a spot in the field. Our WFA ranks are poor, and he has stood up as a shining light as has Confectioner. Aside from these two, give some of the youngsters a chance, railings etc, rather than including horses like plodder bullet. I wouldn;t have a clue about how the process and am just putting forward this opinion from a fair/unfair rationale, but what has plod bullet done to get into the field? Count Ricardo, Grey Song, Swift Tango, Moscow ballet the list goes on of hacks who shouldn;t be there.
Old 10th October 2005, 09:03 AM

Well, basically it works like this: The winners of a handful of races are exempt from the ballot and can run as long as their owners/trainers want them to. They're the first three on the order of entry list - El Segundo, Leica Falcon, Perlin. Then, the rest of the order is based purely on the weight assigned to them by the handicapper. This whole system seems a bit silly really because it's all based on the handicapper's original opinion of the horses a couple of months before the race is actually run.

The higher up the horse's handicap weight is compared to weight for age, the more likely it is to gain a start. That's why owners/trainers will often actually want their horses to be given a penalty by the handicapper after winning one of the lead up feature races. It's because it will raise their horse up the order of entry.

WFA for Hollow Bullet is 54 whereas WFA for Confectioner and Sir Dex is 58. That means that on the weights, Hollow Bullet is just 2.5 kgs below WFA, and Sir Dex and Confectioner are 5 and 5.5 kgs below. That's why they're so far down the list.

Hope that explains it a bit for you.

Last edited by Sportz : 10th October 2005 at 09:08 AM.
Old 10th October 2005, 09:32 AM
Banned

Sportz, thanks for the explanation. It does clear it up for this Yank. I also didn't see Sir Dex's last race but I thought he didn't hit the board and just ran an allowable bad one, but now knowing he didn't, it still stinks if he doesn't get in considering his recent form (that the handicappers don't consider! LOL).
Old 10th October 2005, 09:40 AM

Yeah, nothing wrong at all with Sir Dex's last run. A good 4th and he finished ahead of Plastered, Vouvray and Dizelle which are all given excellent chances in the cup. Those three horses will all probably be more suited this week however.
Old 10th October 2005, 09:48 AM

Question Will they or won't they ?

Will the discetionary powers be used to leap frog Confectioner above 6 other horses.....?

He (Confectioner) clearly has the best case to be included..... but how do you justify burning 6 other horses and their connections - I would be absolutely ropable if I missed out......

Still.... hope he runs (doubtfull).... cos my money has been on him for a long time.....

What do others think?
Old 10th October 2005, 10:04 AM
Banned

Thanks about the Sir Dex finish. I wasn't sure if he just didn't fire or got a nice fourth or fifth. He really is a gamer(No Blue Collar Jack, but heh!!! LOL) and usually gives it his all. But he sure doesn't like to win by much and always gives me heart attacks. Then again he doesn't like to lose either! That's one intangible that I love in a horse, HEART. Reminds me alot of Silver Charm and Real Quiet over here in their hey day. They actually have determined that some of the best horses actually do have much larger hearts than their counterparts. SECRETARIAT-maybe the greatest of all time-no THE GREATEST- anywhere(IMO and alot of others) had a HUGE heart and that's what started the weird study in the first place.
Old 10th October 2005, 04:36 PM

They were saying Confectioner has bigger tabs on racing in the Caufield Cup because of the amount of money which has been put on the horse. Now to me they inclusion of a horse should be inconclusive of the amount of money being backed on the horse before its included or not included in the race. But that was said on Racing Retro the other night.