Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Racing
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 30th August 2005, 10:17 AM
Banned

That's right. My buddy just told me we say FA also, F'in A!!!!
Old 30th August 2005, 11:56 AM
Banned

If Durkin had a sense of humour, he would of said something like "G'day Alinghi and welcome to America" or the like. I guess he doesn't want to ******** any one off who tried to beat her.
Old 31st August 2005, 02:10 PM

Question:
Alinghi wins first-up over 1700m in America. Similarly, in Europe this is not an unusual occurrence to see horses embarking on such campaigns.
In Australia, we would be horrified to see such demands put on our elite performers so early in their campaigns.
I know that particularly in Europe the soft tracks certainly assist in the longevity of a horse's racing career compared to our relatively flint hard surfaces here.
Also, I notice that particularly in England it is not unusual for horses to be allowed to amble over undulating hills at a steady pace to get fit for a first up tilt over a distance in excess of 1600m.
This leads me to ask: "do we pamper our horses too much here in Australia?"
Any views on this matter?

Cheers.
Old 31st August 2005, 05:42 PM
Banned

One factor in American horses winning first up may be the recent "fad" in training horses in a Chantilly long, stamina buildg gallops. Our horses are already bred to death for speed so that doesn't have to be trained per se. Michael Dickinson trains his horses on a long undualting course at his Tapeta Farm in nearby North East, Maryland on the shores of the Chesapeake Bay. It's a beautiful facility and has been the training grounds for perhaps (NO Definitely!) the most astounding semi-first up win in horse racing history. DA HOSS won the Breeder's Cup mile off one cheap prep race after being off for 2 years(having won the BC mile that year as well). I remember watching the race and not even being surprised he won; that's how much Dickinson's reputation speaks. I was sure mad I didn't bet him though! He also won the DeFrancis Dash (G1) at Laurel race course in Maryland with A HUEVO in a similar fashion. His website is excellent (TAPETA.COM) and shows a map of where the farm is and where I live (Wilmington, Delaware) for the US geaographic newbies. Tapeta is about 1/2 an hour away from me and I sometimes have to work at the adjacent breeding farm (Michael+William Moran's farm-they breed and race some nice turfers). I often make a "wrong" turn in my work truck to drive around Tapeta. Funny (and scary these days) the things you can get away with in a work van and a friendly wave. Dickinson will usually be driving along in his little Volkswagen or something next to the gallopers. Rally neat. The best quote about him "He could train a team of chihauhas to win the Iditarod!"

Sorry for rambling all the time but stuff like this kicks me in the ********!
Because of Dickinson's success with this type training, lots of trainers are following "the mad genius'" lead. Before it was drill drill drill speed speed speed. Now they realize how much stamina can help a horse's well-being and competitive nature. Of course, the medications here are probably a factor as well. Aussies be proud that you can do it the right way and don't think of it as pampering. AFLEET ALEX (trained by Del Park trainer Tim Ritchey, yep little old Delaware Park might have the best horse around!) has been trained with everyday looong gallops so he can carry his excellent turn of foot(remember the Preakness?) a route of ground. Naysayers were in abundance before the triple crown, especially from some "big time"(Did these guys ever even start a horse in the Triple Crown?) New York trainers. They ended up with foot in mouth disease. Another example is Tommy Voss' style of giving a horse a shot at steeple-chasing to build his strength. If the horse can jump, he keeps jumping. If not, the horse goes long on the flat turf a la "John's Call"(3rd BC Turf, 1st G1 Man O' War at 9 years old!) I saw Johnny fall in his jump career at Fair Hill (another famous training ground in Elkton, MD)nd never thought he would end up being my all time favorite many years later and running in the BC Turf. This small area of Maryland, Delaware, and Pennsylvania is home to so many world class trainers (Graham Motion, Dickinson, Voss, J. Shepherd, Ritchey, John Servis-Smarty Jones, Barclay Tagg-Funny Cide, Bill Boniface-Spectacular Bid, Carl Hanford-5xhorse of year KELSO, etc.), onwers(Christiana Stables, Bohemia Stables, Augustin Stables, Woodstock Farm, Tapeta, Elk Manor Farms(Moran), WINFIELD FARMS!!!-breeder and racer of NIJINSKY II and the top sire of 20th century NORHERN DANCER) and jockeys(Chris McCarron, Kent Desormeaux, Edgar Prado, Bill Hartick, and on the jumps Johnathon Smart, Blythe Miller. Chip Miller, Bruce Miller, Sean and Joe Clancy(they run the Steeplechase News here in the states now), Scotty Schulhofer + Barclay Tagg(yep they were jump riders!). Just an amazing breeding ground of horse racing talent in an area smaller than Ayers Rock!
Old 4th September 2005, 12:34 PM
Banned

ALINGHI might face males next in the G1 Shadwell Turf Mile at Keeneland (the most beautiful track in America in the heart of breeding country in Lexington, Kentucky-GO if you come to the states in April or October) on October 8. Bobby Frankel said her long term goal is the G1 Matriarch at Hollywood Park on Nov. 27. She will definitely not go in the Breeder's Cup as the supplemation fee is much too high to make it viable. alinghi should remain in training until the middle of 2006 when she will be retired and sent home to you for the beginning of Southern Hemisphere breeding season. Who do you think the lucky boy will be?
Old 4th September 2005, 12:49 PM

Don't be surprised if the lucky boy will be either Redoutes Choice or maybe her nemesis here Fastnet Rock would lean towards possibly Redoutes though.
Old 4th September 2005, 04:45 PM
Banned

I thought I heard that. You gotta love classy breeding top and bottom. Lets all pitch in and buy the foal! Propun Stables Zillion Dollar yearling
Old 4th September 2005, 05:18 PM

Sounds like a great idea one problem we need about another few hundred people here to be able to pay for it.
Old 4th September 2005, 10:57 PM
Banned

Ha Ha! At least!
Old 5th September 2005, 12:48 PM

Thumbs up

hey saratoga!

I've posted a question for you in the "Race Betting Systems Forum" and looking forward to your response.

Cheers.