Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Sports and Gambling
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 23rd May 2011, 10:37 AM

Default Bookmaker Limits Bets

Has anyone ever heard of a bookmaker limiting someone's bets both over the phone and on the internet even though they constantly lose?

The explanantion I received today from Sportingbet was that I had bet on some prices that had moved out eg outsiders, and now my bets were a maximum of $50- over the phone and up to a maximum of a $10- loss for them over the internet (last attempt was $15- on a favourite in soccer at $1-90 which was knocked down to $11-, WHAT A JOKE)

If I have lost $550- since the start of this year in this account, what is the problem? Is this bookmaker not in the business of making money or is it that they are unable to calculate a market and change prices quick enough? Have I not lost enough?

The only reason I had an account with them was because they have a reasonably comprehensive soccer market but they appear to be a far cry from their overseas namesake.

More than 95% of the time that they have limited my bets before or knocked them back, the selections have lost meaning they have won a lot less from me than they should have. Thus money has been saved or given to other bookmakers or TABs. With the above stats, you would think I should take the tip that they are giving me, I am not good at punting but one continues on.

Sometimes I like to put $60- or $70- on a "Draw" in soccer and these limits make it impossible to get a good thrill out of a game.

I also have accounts with International All Sports, Centerbet, Luxbet, and TABCorp, and none of these have ever limited my bets (last week a bet of $230- on Centrebet - NO PROBLEMS).

What gives? Can anyone explain it?

The male staff at Sportingbet, who I believe may be bookmakers in their own right, all have a very indignant attitude believing they know what is going on but it escapes me. One would think that if a price goes out, then no one is betting on it and they would welcome my dollars to help balance their books but it must be a case of them being a very small betting organisation and $60- on a draw at $3-20 is enough to scare the pants off them.

Anyones thoughts on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Old 23rd May 2011, 11:10 AM

Sounds like you're getting a raw deal there foggy
Don't have an account with that provider myself
Would be interesting (if you knew someone with an account) if they had the same prob placing same bet as you (done around same time)
If they don't get the same response you might have grounds to complain to the NT Racing Commission
Old 23rd May 2011, 11:32 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, Sands, but I think that if I say to the NT Racing Commission that the bookmaker will not let me lose anymore money to him then they will probably not see that as a valid complaint. They would probably post me their bank account numbers to off-load my spare cash to.

If there was a way to get my message across to Michael Sullivan directly to advise him that the methods used by his subordinates are detrimental to the operation of the firm, then it may be more useful.

There is very little customer service with this organistaion, which has probably filtered down from the top. It feels to me that they all have a "god" complex believing they are much better and more well informed than us dumb punters.
Old 23rd May 2011, 04:00 PM

I gotta say Foggy thats the most rediculous thing i've ever heard - limiting your bets to pennies because you've lost on some drifters. Do yourself a favour & just transfer the money into your Betfair account. Close it today.
Old 23rd May 2011, 11:56 PM

Yes, done and dusted. It is just a little offensive to have been with them for around 14 years and they treat punters with such disdain

To have one of their bookmakers say "it is because I was following the money" and then another say "it is because I am backing the longshots", just does not add up.

A VERY UNPROFESSIONAL ORGANISATION THAT CAN'T BE TRUSTED IN THE LONG RUN.
Old 24th May 2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggy
Yes, done and dusted. It is just a little offensive to have been with them for around 14 years and they treat punters with such disdain

To have one of their bookmakers say "it is because I was following the money" and then another say "it is because I am backing the longshots", just does not add up.
Hi foggy,
I know you said you lost overall during those years, but what is the pattern of your winning-losing?

I no longer bother with bookies because I'm restricted to granny bets with three of the better ones, depending on odds.

I can have as much as I like on the fave, but I do not bet on them, I bet mostly in the $6 to $30 market and there I have a very low limit put on.

It could be that you are losing overall but winning on the long shots.

I can assure you they don't like that at all, on the fave they run a reasonably balanced book due to the mug money, but on a $15 shot even at $200 a bet they are hurting badly.

Anyway, if you can get matched on Betfair I don't think you are any worse off.
The fact that you were with them for 14 years, mate, loyalty to the customer is a thing of the past.

Good luck
Old 25th May 2011, 06:31 AM

I would have to guestimate that over the last year or two that 90% or more of these "limited" bets on both the internet and over the phone have not been successful. Meaning that they have cost themselves money each time.

I usually go to some other bookie or exchange. One would think that if they knew how to do their job they could balance their books, especially if they are getting the bets placed long before the game starts.

Clearly, they are a VERY small franchise of the overseas Sportingbet and cannot handle what goes through them.

The talk that they have taken million dollar bets (and $5,000,000-on Lonhro) would all be passed onto the overseas, giant conglomerate with no worries or concern to them.

In my opinion, they are a joke and a pathetic excuse for a bookmaker when the likes of Centrebet, International All Sports and, even the TAB can take bets without even flinching.
Old 25th May 2011, 09:19 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggy
I would have to guestimate that over the last year or two that 90% or more of these "limited" bets on both the internet and over the phone have not been successful. Meaning that they have cost themselves money each time.

You have gone over your results and identified an area where you are making a Loss , yet you are jumping up and down trying to get these Losing Bets on.
Am I missing something here?

Sounds like something I would continue to do, but I'm STOOPID
Old 25th May 2011, 01:04 PM

Just the bets that seem to be limited or rejected by this bookmaker have been 90%+ losers, not necessarily every bet I make. I am in profit this calendar year (so far).

What I hate is being treated like I have attempted to rip this bookie off and their arrogant attitude. I am just your average punter, not someone who is attempting some sleazy bookmaker sting.

I am sure by this bookie's standards we are all stupid and they are the most entelligent operation around. Just too smart for all of us.