Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > General Topics
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 7th March 2018, 09:30 PM

Thumbs down Betfair Account Restricted

Got this email from Betfair today. I run two bots with market refresh rates of 10,000 ms and am not currently betting anything with them (maybe that's the reason?):

Hello

With regret, we have restricted your Betfair account with a delay to Exchange market data (odds and volumes). The restriction is in accordance with our Terms and Conditions; in particular the intellectual property clauses with reference to Betfair data. For further information, view our T&Cís at http://forum.betfair.com/aboutUs/Te...terms-betting-1. The relevant terms are highlighted below.

Your data usage profile represents that of a commercial user. Note that usage of Betfair Exchange market data by any user in a commercial context requires a data licence. Betfair offers a commercial data licensing scheme, details of which can be found at https://developer.betfair.com/get-started/.

Should you wish to consume data for testing and or analysis, please use delayed data as applied to your account or the historical data services - https://historicdata.betfair.com/#/home.

Ď6. Cancellation, Termination, Suspension and Breach

We may restrict your access to Betfair, suspend or terminate your account, withdraw your offers for bets, void any bets outstanding to your account, cancel any unmatched bets or cancel and void any outstanding or matched bets in our absolute discretion without cause at any time including if:

v: ... your accountís Ďpublic market dataí usage (Ďpublic market dataí includes market prices, traded Volumes and market depth) could represent Ďbusiness usageí (Ďbusiness usageí includes any use by a betting operator or any use by an individual or organisation supplying data or services to a betting operator)í

― Earl Nightingale
Old 7th March 2018, 09:43 PM

Yep that rule has been in there for a while. Luckily it didn't exist when I started as that would have been annoying.

I would suggest you stop doing it as there is generally no second warning. Or just start betting and generating turnover and you should be fine.
Old 8th March 2018, 01:15 AM

Running two bots at once plus not placing bets is something they crack down on. Just run one bot and bet the minimum, they'll be watching you closely. The problem is that now you have an in place delay which they won't remove
And their historical data is riddled with errors, cannot be relied upon to be accurate as there are scratchings still included and they miss chunks of trades at a time.
*RaceCensus now updated to 31/07/2018
Video overview of RaceCensus here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W821YP_b0Pg
Old 8th March 2018, 08:15 AM

I got the same one on the weekend. I complained that I run a bot for research analysis purposes (about 8 individual instances) and it is for a mutually beneficial purpose in the end.

Iíve tried to access the historical data but it doesnít matter whether I use IE or Chrome or my Ipad, it comes up as unknown error for the basic package so therefore useless. It looks like the Basic package is pointless anyway. There is no way I am going to pay to access their data to financially benefit them. If they canít see the mutual benefit, then tough luck to them. They will miss out on numerous commissions.

They havenít slowed me up yet or cut me off and if they do I will kiss them goodbye. Iíve been with them for about 8 years constantly producing income via commissions for them and this is the thanks I get.

I assume they must be cracking down on everyone. I got this advice even though I have my bot placing back and lay bets daily.
Old 8th March 2018, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenewguy
I got the same one on the weekend. I complained that I run a bot for research analysis purposes (about 8 individual instances) and it is for a mutually beneficial purpose in the end.

Iíve tried to access the historical data but it doesnít matter whether I use IE or Chrome or my Ipad, it comes up as unknown error for the basic package so therefore useless. It looks like the Basic package is pointless anyway. There is no way I am going to pay to access their data to financially benefit them. If they canít see the mutual benefit, then tough luck to them. They will miss out on numerous commissions.

They havenít slowed me up yet or cut me off and if they do I will kiss them goodbye. Iíve been with them for about 8 years constantly producing income via commissions for them and this is the thanks I get.

I assume they must be cracking down on everyone. I got this advice even though I have my bot placing back and lay bets daily.

I would ring and ask what threshold you need to be at to continue to be able to use the service the way you are using it.

Obviously they have identified you as costing more to run the infrastructure then your commissions generate. To them you are costing them money rather than making them money. So in the end it is not in their best interest to continue allowing you to use that service.

They don't care about your personal research purposes if its costing them money. Not sure why the free basic data would be a problem anyway unless you are trying to trade positions on the market. Once you identify something you could put it in your bot and bet it thus increasing your commissions and getting them off your back.

Simply reduce your usage (why do you need 8 individual instances as cant these be in the same program ?) to a point below where you are costing them money. In the end you need them more then they need you right now and its best to try and fix the problem (by betting more and generating more commission or slowing down you consumption of their resources).

I am yet to receive a notice. Are you guys turning over enough to get to a betfair VIP level ? Once you reach that level you get much better help and support from within betfair.
Old 8th March 2018, 06:41 PM

Just to give you a guide I am generating roughly 15K a year in commissions and I have not got a letter.

This is not surprising as I would be a profitable customer to them regardless of how much I used their infrastructure.
Old 9th March 2018, 03:37 PM

Iím definately not at VIP level and agree I need them more than they need me.

Looking at it, it looks like they restricted my 2 instances using UK simulations a couple of days before I got the notice. In the last 2 months or so, I have never had a day in either system not get matched less than 4 times and both days both were at zero. I had no live systems in the UK but both my RSA & NZ simulations worked normally.

The letter also came from the UK, all other correspondence I have had with them I assumed originated in Aus.

Other than that, I was turning as much as I normally do, Iím not a big better yet, trying to get the bank up to a level where I can make at least 1K a week profit with a diverse set of systems. 2 of my active systems bet everyday on multiple horses in probably 50% of races and my lay systems still doing what they do very slowly.

Anyway to appease the Betfair gods who I go down on one knee to, I now have only one instance collecting the information that I will break down my self and have dropped all overseas simulations and give the thought of taking them live a miss while I run those that are currently working for me.

I still donít think I was costing them money. I wonder how they dont see the advantage of giving the historical data free to those who want it. Smart people can scrape the info anyway and potential commissions from a dope like myself are missed.
Old 10th March 2018, 11:30 AM

It's not only the server usage they are concerned about, they see an opportunity to get you to pay for commercial access, which is very expensive and would add greater profit than the commissions you are generating.
The writing has been on the wall for quite some time now, there is a huge opportunity for another exchange to open with reduced commission, like a lot of the UK customers, especially traders went to Betdaq. Unfortunately for us, Betdaq is not an option, but there is a huge opportunity for one of the TABs to open an exchange based platform. It would be a slow start, but liquidity would grow very quickly.
*RaceCensus now updated to 31/07/2018
Video overview of RaceCensus here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W821YP_b0Pg
Old 10th March 2018, 02:59 PM

I used a fake NZ address a couple of years ago and got myself a Betdaq account to see if I could. I never used it. I had planned to use it once I hit premium charges.

Iím heading to the UK in July so I might impose on some relo over there that I have never met and try and set one up properly while Iím there and operate it via a VPN if needed in the future and maybe run my simulations on it while turning over some dollars.

Iím hoping the changes I made make Betfair happy. In addition to the 8 simulations I was running, I also run a control simulation on my live betting which really I havent needed to since the last API change so maybe I was sucking up a bit more than I needed.

Another exchange would be great in Aus even if just to create some competition.
Old 10th March 2018, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenewguy
Iím hoping the changes I made make Betfair happy.

Have you talked to them? It doesn't hurt even to just send them an email and communicate that way. They can be really helpful if you explain what you have changed and whether that alleviates their concerns.

To give you an example, a few years ago I was trying a trading system which layed horses and then traded out of those positions closer to the race time. The problem was sometimes it only got matched for small amounts and to trade out I needed to do back bets which were less than $5. This raised red flags against my account. I talked through the issue with them and together we came up with a mutual beneficial solution but it took a few weeks of back and forward and me changing my code to get to an agreement. If I hadn't had talked to them I would have had to throw the system away or would have had my account banned for betting under the limit. They actually put a note on my account so that it wouldn't get banned while we were working out the best solution.