Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > General Topics
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 18th March 2012, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UselessBettor
From wikipedia:

The safety of the series' working environment was called into question by People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA), which criticized Luck over the injury and euthanization of two horses during filming for the pilot and the seventh episode. The American Humane Association (AHA) said both racehorses "stumbled and fell during short racing sequences" and that "the horses were checked immediately afterwards by the onsite veterinarians and in each case a severe fracture deemed the condition inoperable." HBO pointed out that precautions had been taken: Each horse was "limited to three runs per day and was rested in between those runs."[7][8] On March 13, 2012, HBO agreed to suspend all filming involving horses while investigations took place over the death of a third horse.[9] The AHA insisted the stoppage remain in effect until a comprehensive investigation was completed; it also noted the horse's injury did not occur during filming or racing.[10] The following day, HBO canceled the series, saying that while it "maintained the highest safety standards throughout production ... accidents unfortunately happen and it is impossible to guarantee they won’t in the future."[
I take their word for it but there are thousands of races every week with a minuscule number of horse fatalities.

How come they had suffered this unprecedented misfortune while not even under pressure of racing?
Strange to say the least, but life is always stranger than fiction.
Ce la vie.
Old 18th March 2012, 08:54 PM

bummer
Old 19th March 2012, 11:50 AM

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sho...-+Show+Tracker)

Reasonable balanced article here on the cancellation & state of US racing - as I suspected the producers employed the use of (for want of a better description) 'broken down hacks' & then probably all stand around scratching their heads when they breakdown wondering where they went wrong...

Pity all-round, really enjoying the show so far
Old 19th March 2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Kentucky’s Turfway Park installed the first Polytrack in 2005 after a meet in which 24 horses died. The next year, running on rubber, only three horses broke down. Arlington Park, outside Chicago, cut fatalities in half with a synthetic surface. On the other hand, 12 horses died during last year’s 37-day Del Mar meet.

This seams high number i don't know what our statistics are.

"If the corporates are treating you poorly , just go elsewhere."
"If they need you , they will soon find out."
"If you need them , you will soon find out."
--moeee
Old 19th March 2012, 01:10 PM

Very high, I doubt we would be anything near those dirt tracks, I find it bewildering that they haven't been forced to convert to synthetic.

Having unfortunately witnessed a few breakdown hopelessly at the races over the years, it really does/can put you off & to imagine race meetings losing as many as quoted in that article, it's no wonder people in the US are staying away in droves, doubt I would be going.
Old 19th March 2012, 01:35 PM

I remember back 10 years ago i used to go to the Sunday Warwick Farm races that were promoted as a family picnic day on the grass.

I know i wouldn't be taking the kids if there were that many horses breaking down.

"If the corporates are treating you poorly , just go elsewhere."
"If they need you , they will soon find out."
"If you need them , you will soon find out."
--moeee