Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Racing
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 5th November 2008, 12:20 AM

Anyone in this forum pick Viewed? I dont understand why his odds is so short at 40+ when his form is so bad!!!

My worst MC pick!!!
Old 5th November 2008, 02:06 AM

Matilda, worse than that I backed it on Saturday!!!!!!!!! groan,.....
Old 5th November 2008, 07:18 AM

I hadn't written Viewed off totally didn't have anything on it did think it was massive overs compared to it's stable mate however, The run on saturday didn't really put me off him more what happened in the run all the way up the straight he was like a pinball between Rampant Lion and Princess Coup and was worried that he wouldn't back up from that more than anything.

If the track had a bit of rain on it I would have probably thrown $10 on him even if it was only dead just didn't like him with what looked to be a rock hard surface.

Here is the problem now guys it has happened 2 years in a row now where a so called outsider has won the race because of such a massive form reversal, Not necessarily the case for either year. The problem is the lead up races for the most part were run at such a farcical pace that everyone is left guess what might run the trip out and what might not you don't really get to see where the stamina really kicks in.

Personally all I did was pull even on the race with an E/W bet on C'est La Guerre who went out at ridiculos odds I feel Lloyd would not have paid up with him if they didn't think he was capable this year, so all was not lost on the race but still a disappointing result.
Old 5th November 2008, 07:58 AM
Suspended.

Another dart job. I thought Viewed was way under considering all the hype about the 2 silly favorites and a few others.

Zoe and I have given up on trying to win money on the race. I think we had a 5% tri. for $5 and our usual one win bet each. I picked up the winner on r4 and zoe picked up winners on r5, r6 and r8! A good day overall.
Old 5th November 2008, 08:04 AM

The funny thing is that Viewed won the Brisbane Cup brilliantly in the winter and Wayne Wilson mistakenly called it as Bart's 250th G1 win, forgetting that the race had been downgraded to G2 this year. Well, now here we are 5 months later and Viewed DOES give Bart his 250th G1 win.

Also ironic that when the Brisbane Cup was a 3200m race, it was a pretty awful guide to the Melbourne Cup, but the first year it's run over 2400m, it produces the winner.
Old 5th November 2008, 09:35 AM

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/...7-10389,00.html

What the jockeys had to say after the 2008 Melbourne Cup
November 04, 2008 02:26pm

BLAKE SHINN (VIEWED, 1st): "He was trained perfectly for the race and that was all important. The straight seemed to last forever. I thought I'd won on the line. I wasn't sure, I didn't want to go off too early after the line. I looked to the infield and they had the camera on Bauer so I thought I might be wrong. I was down when I missed the winning ride on Northern Meteor last Saturday (suspension) but this more than makes up for it."

COREY BROWN (BAUER, 2nd): "Shattered. Every chance. There's nothing more that I could have done. I reckon his run might have ended 25 metres out but, to his credit, the last two strides he really hit at the line, but it's not good enough. My biggest disappointment, no doubt."

BRETT PREBBLE (C'EST LA GUERRE, 3rd): "A super run, very strong. He pulled a bit. We couldn't get clear. He should have won."

VLAD DURIC (MASTER O'REILLY, 4th): "Got held up. Needed to get free and rolling a bit earlier. Probably would almost have won if I'd got the right breaks."

GLEN BOSS (PROFOUND BEAUTY, 5th): "She had a perfect run. We tracked the winner but when I asked her she really felt the ground."

CLARE LINDOP (MOATIZE, 6th): "Probably raced a bit too close. At the top of the straight he didn't let down as well as I thought he would. But he boxed on well to the line."

DAMIEN OLIVER (MAD RUSH, 7th): "Didn't quite stay the trip and came to the end of his run near the 200 metres."

JEFF LLOYD: (NOM DU JEU, 8th): "He over-raced but basically needed the rain. He's a bit of a keen horse but got to the line OK."

DANNY NIKOLIC (ZIPPING, 9th): "He ran terrific but I ran into all sorts of trouble behind Gallopin when he dropped back really quickly. He lost all momentum, probably lost five lengths there. He's got home and run ninth and probably run the best sectionals of the race. He was very unlucky."

CHRIS SYMONS (NEWPORT, 10th): "If he had drawn better he would have been closer. He got home as well as anything else. Went terrific."

MICHAEL RODD (ICE CHARIOT, 11th): "Ah, went well."

CRAIG NEWITT (GUYNO, 12th): "He probably ran up to his best."

STEVEN KING (LITTORIO, 13th): "No excuse, the two miles was too far for him."

CRAIG WILLIAMS (VAREVEES, 14th): "She just lacked a turn of foot."

GREG CHILDS (BOUNDLESS, 15th): "Had every chance."

NICHOLAS HALL: (RED LORD, 16th): "He'll be a better horse next year but he got the trip OK."

MARK SWEENEY: (PRIZE LADY, 17th): "She just didn't see it out."

JOHNNY MURTAGH (SEPTIMUS, 18th): "He might not be the horse for the race. When they got into the straight he just stopped."

STEPHEN BASTER (BARBARICUS, 19th): "Just didn't stay on the day.'

WAYNE LORDAN (ALESSANDRO VOLTA, 20th): "Travelled well but wouldn't let down. Maybe the track was too firm but he's still only a three-year-old and I think he'll be back."

COLM O'DONOGHUE (HONOLULU, Last): "The ground was too quick for him.

JAMES WINKS (GALLOPIN, Failed to finish): "Couldn't breathe. I had to pull him up ..."
Old 5th November 2008, 09:37 AM

Quote:
JOHNNY MURTAGH (SEPTIMUS, 18th): "He might not be the horse for the race. When they got into the straight he just stopped."

Well, what a surprise. Who would have thought that would possibly happen when you went at such a suicidal pace?

Seriously, what were those idiots thinking?

Last edited by Sportz : 5th November 2008 at 09:40 AM.
Old 5th November 2008, 10:02 AM

Read in today's paper they were just outside the time for the Hip's Don't Lie race for the first 1000m of the race.... 58.5sec vs 57.8 (or something to that effect!)
Old 5th November 2008, 10:46 AM

hows this,
a good friend of my sister in law knows jack about horses, only bets occasional first fours has jagged the first 4 3 times for an outlay of $72!!! 1.6 mill... she said she just liked the names
Old 6th November 2008, 04:07 PM

Thumbs down

post13,
I was concerned this may be a negative aspect in the running of our greatest race.
What about the tactics employed by the overseas visitors...?
The officials certainly "hauled" the aaaaa trainer in for a "please explain?"
However, I feel there is a "sense of arrogance" displayed by some of our guests whereby they may feel they "are doing us a favour" to appear in our premier racing event.
The race and all it's history is bigger than that!

Cheers.