Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Archive > Online Poker Forum
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 8th August 2005, 10:51 PM

Here is something i have been doing a little reading on,

Robot players - computer programs that play against humans with all the added advantages of instantaneous probability calcs and minimal mistakes. Now here is a worrying trend. Are these 'bots' prevalent or are they another sore loser myth?

I must add that these bots are not in use by any reputable poker company, just by individuals seeking to gain an advantage.
Old 12th August 2005, 01:09 AM
Administrator

That sounds interesting. Where did you find information on that?

Personally I'm not too worried about bots, because it would be hard to make them stronger than the good players. The calculations are not too difficult for humans to master in Texas Holdem (especially as we can have odds tables next to us when we play if necessary) and you have time to think or use a calculator if you want to.

This means the robots are left with the disadvantage of being essentially formulaic. This could be overcome to some extent by a clever programmer but I think the human brain is a very good instrument for assessing some of the less quantifiable aspects of poker. Here are some of the aspects where I think the top brains can at least equal computers.

Changing gear at the appropriate moment. (Computers can be programmed to change gear but getting the timing right might be tricky as there are many factors dictating how tightly to play at any given moment.)

Picking a player's style quickly.

Using well timed comments or showing of cards to get under another players skin.

Recognising a steamer quickly. (A computer might put them on a pair of aces, when a good player recognises their previous bad beat and sees the possibility of them being on tilt. This could make a slightly anti percentage call a good call.)

Logic decisions that are hard to program. (A human might think something like, "I think I'm only 45% to win this hand if I call his all in, but if I fold I'm crippled and unlikely to get a paying place, whereas if I call and win I eliminate a player and come at least third and double my money.") It's hard to tell a computer all the possible situations where things other than the percentages play a part in making the correct decision.

I might be completely wrong about this but I'd back a pro player head to head or in a tournament against a computer. I'd like to know where to get info on it though.
Old 12th August 2005, 08:11 PM

Gattaca,

Just one article, two parts at "majorwager". A US site i believe, if i find more i'll let you know. Only thing is they can be programmed to play non-stop within certain parameters and never get tired, make silly mistake etc. Although saying that the major Poker companies, at least reputable ones have the means and do try to stamp it out. If caught = deep do-do, suspend you're account and keep all your money.

Last edited by mad : 12th August 2005 at 08:15 PM.
Old 14th August 2005, 06:39 PM
Administrator

Thanks, Mad.

It made interesting reading, but there was nothing to convince me that I should be more scared of bots than good human players.

It also made it clear that the poker rooms have plenty of weapons at their disposal for countering the use of bots and you would think they have very good reason to do so. If a perception arose that you can't win playing online because of the prevalence of bots, the human players would start to drop off very quickly and the rooms would lose millions of dollars.

I'm not going to worry too much about the opposition... I'll concentrate on making myself a better player!

G.
Old 19th August 2005, 08:25 AM

It's just bad luck. Because there has been a bad run in the past doesn't mean the next 20 hands or whatever will give you a good run. What has happened in the pasr does not count.
Old 19th August 2005, 01:58 PM

Hi HILLBILLY,

Don't get me wrong i am not referring to any particular time i have lost, bad beat etc. Just an observation made from an article that was written is all.
Old 17th January 2006, 11:31 AM

All this talk about rigged games etc!

It's simple really, you don't go all in unless you know your hand is UNBEATABLE - especially with real money!

There is always a chance that someone will have a better hand than you, especially with a full table, and especially if your hand is not UNBEATABLE.

You can try your luck with a very good hand when the odds are in your favour, but you have to be prepared to be beaten.

Every example listed by the thread starter was an example of a beatable hand.

The odds of being beaten are increased because of the number of players holding cards at an online table.

This is exactly the reason why I only play with a maximum of four other players.

It increases the chances of a strong hand winning, but I can lose unless my hand is unbeatable.

I've seen the bluffers come and go, they get away with it a few times, but ultimately they cop it from someone with a better hand. I'll let a bluffer get the best of me for a few hands, and then bankrupt them when I have an unbeatable hand
*RaceCensus now updated to 31/03/2024
Video overview of RaceCensus here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W821YP_b0Pg

Last edited by Chrome Prince : 17th January 2006 at 11:33 AM.
Old 17th January 2006, 12:06 PM

I counldn't agree more Chrome Prince ... Where do you normally play ?

I am a Royal Vegas and Absolute poker player mainly because that is where I get real money for free.
Old 17th January 2006, 12:09 PM

I play at Party Poker.

Real money for free?

Tell me more wesmip1

*RaceCensus now updated to 31/03/2024
Video overview of RaceCensus here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W821YP_b0Pg
Old 17th January 2006, 02:11 PM

Talking

Chrome Prince,

I play at Absolute poker for the freerolls. You can win cash without putting up any cash.. but it does cost you time. I have won a few and got some money and then I play the cash games to build it up.

I also play at Royal Vegas POker which has a $10 free introduction. I built that up pretty quick at the 10c/20c tables and playing SnG games at the $2 tables.

Absolute Poker has freerolls every 30mins but they are popular. To win it usually takes around 4 hours. But if you are going to play for fun anyway why not play for free money, if you get knocked out just join the next freeroll.

Hope that helps.