Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Race Betting Systems
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 29th October 2013, 11:21 AM

Default Unders and overs revisited

I was looking at the AAP prepost market and back analysing the results of 1M+ the somebody had summarised.
These had been linked to the tote prices.
I was under the belief that the tote market is a 85% market. Prepost is generally over 100%. Thus to get a 100% market the prices must ease. However some firm and some stay the same. meaning that those that ease must ease longer.

So I started looking at the number that firmed. And found that significantly more firmed than eased. which put my initial thoughts out of whack.

Then I searched for an answer and had the eureka moment. The AAP prepost are the odds expressed as currency and the Tote prices are not odds but a formula based on the market less the rake. Two totally different things. However the tote price is a reflection of what the market thinks the odds are.

Hence a $2.50 PP odds has to match with a $2.10 tote odds. This being $2.50 chance minus 15% minus the round. Hence the pp odds to tote price
are always going to be unders. Which in turn explains there is a significant parity between unders and overs (It is not until you get to the $40-50 band that the unders equal the overs).

Food for thought and discussion. Also adds to the fact that unders are more profitable than overs.
Old 29th October 2013, 11:26 AM
Banned

What ?
Old 29th October 2013, 11:50 AM

I'm with darky I don't exactly follow what your saying. I think what you mean is AAP prepost market is sometimes up around the 150% mark while the Tatts market is usually around the 115-120% mark. So that way the AAP prices are generally speaking going to be lower than the Tatts prices most of the time due to the framed market %'s.

If your going to compare the AAP prepost, any other prepost or your own ratings to Tatts for example you should always re-calculate them to a 118% market or thereabouts. I do mine to 115% just for ease but then you can actually compare them appropriately (apples for apples we say at work) instead of comparing a banana (150% market) to an apple (118% market).

I hope the above is what you were basically getting at, otherwise i've misunderstood your post more than i thought.
Old 29th October 2013, 12:05 PM

Evajb.
Basically we have to compare apples for apples. A tote market of 100% -15 and overround comes to circa 120%. the AAP at 150%+ has to reduce the odds to be equal. Decrease the odds - increase the $. Yet across the board the $ is decreased. What do we do? maybe we have to reframe the PP first before using them.
Old 29th October 2013, 12:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by beton
What do we do? maybe we have to reframe the PP first before using them.

Reckon you have answered your own question there.
Old 29th October 2013, 12:41 PM
Banned

Thumbs down

I don't always agree with the stuff PaulD01 puts out, but I do agree with this quote re the AAP Pre Post,"It is nothing more than a subjective/predictive rating that has been adopted in order to provide something to the masses to facilitate TAB turnover"

For me it's purely a marketing tool and you can convert it into any percentage you like, it counts for nothing. It's a hype tool. Most punters haven't got a clue who to Back in a race. Think about it, a bunch of brickies knock off early, call into the club to have a drink and a punt, pick up a Tele, look at the prepost and go, "Yeah, this 2nd favourite looks like a bit of value" and Back it? The whole pre post scenario doesn't rate as a tool in the kit of a serious punter, IMO.
Old 29th October 2013, 12:51 PM

Tend to agree RCP but does that in itself make it a tool? i.e. ignore the top 3 favourites according to AAP as they are overbet and look at say the 4th to 6th favourites?

I don't use their ratings at all myself, not currently anyway but just food for thought. The way I approach everything now is to look for the underbet profitable angles not the overbet profitable angles or the overbet high strike rates (hope that makes sense).
Old 29th October 2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinconpaul
I don't always agree with the stuff PaulD01 puts out, but I do agree with this quote re the AAP Pre Post,"It is nothing more than a subjective/predictive rating that has been adopted in order to provide something to the masses to facilitate TAB turnover"

For me it's purely a marketing tool and you can convert it into any percentage you like, it counts for nothing. It's a hype tool. Most punters haven't got a clue who to Back in a race. Think about it, a bunch of brickies knock off early, call into the club to have a drink and a punt, pick up a Tele, look at the prepost and go, "Yeah, this 2nd favourite looks like a bit of value" and Back it? The whole pre post scenario doesn't rate as a tool in the kit of a serious punter, IMO.

RCP As a layer you should find this a valuable tool for exactly the reasons you state here. The first five in the PP control 80%. But the top PP only wins 25.9%.

The top PP is only the tote fav 54% of the time and accounts for only 18.8% with the other 7.1% when it is in the other 4 top positions. Do the maths right and you will always lose backing and always win laying.
Old 29th October 2013, 02:12 PM
Banned

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by evajb001
Tend to agree RCP but does that in itself make it a tool? i.e. ignore the top 3 favourites according to AAP as they are overbet and look at say the 4th to 6th favourites?

I don't use their ratings at all myself, not currently anyway but just food for thought. The way I approach everything now is to look for the underbet profitable angles not the overbet profitable angles or the overbet high strike rates (hope that makes sense).

I agree with you Josh, you need to identify situations where the market consistently under or overbets a runner and build a system around it. For me it's meant becoming a student of price, not form, and how price, particularly oncourse bookmakers price interacts and behaves. It reflects a lot of the bad traits of punters, that you can go the opposite on?
Old 29th October 2013, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinconpaul
I agree with you Josh, you need to identify situations where the market consistently under or overbets a runner and build a system around it. For me it's meant becoming a student of price, not form, and how price, particularly oncourse bookmakers price interacts and behaves. It reflects a lot of the bad traits of punters, that you can go the opposite on?
That para is full of gems, RP. But how is price not a function of form, in some respect? i.e. the Like all markets, prices being a measure of value based largely on what is known, already disseminated - form being the most obvious example??

LG