Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Sports and Gambling
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 21st October 2005, 05:50 PM
Suspended

Default Gambling Problem?

Bit of plagiarism from a reformed or possibly ex-gambler.

"I do not want to stop the gambling.I want to stop the consequences of my gambling."
Turns out,the only solution for him was to stop the gambling.

My consequences are that I have wasted a lot of living time and financially I am a lot worse off.
Any gamblerholics out there who can give me some advice as to how to make my gambling less painful?
Surely stopping can't be the only solution?

SPORTZ? You seem to be devoured by your pursuit of gambling.
How do you fit the rest of your life in?.Are you for example,wheelchair-bound?.Do you have a bottomless source of income?
What are you doing right that I am doing wrong?
Old 21st October 2005, 07:16 PM
Banned

Moeee, for me it was how much money i had ,speaking from personal experience, years ago i was pretty well off and i use to go down the TAB nearly everyday and have $200 and $500 bets a race [before i was betting on sports] use to win some but in the end i lost badly, Now there is only a certain amount for me to punt with and its mainly on sports and [only the carnivals on the horses]ITS NOW REVERSED FOR ME and i have won on the footy seasons [NRL & AFL] for the last 4 years, i dont take short prices as i use to i dont try to get too analitical [not sure of the spelling]of games , if something doesnt feel right i pass,for me its about self control.

cheers.
Old 21st October 2005, 08:58 PM

I have a gambling problem...At one stage in my life namly this nrl season,i spent countless hours gambling due to online punting. I made money no doubt about it.. I also have a full time job as well. This keeps my head clear from the stresses of gambling. I did a big collect and planned a holiday as well as a shopping spree. One of the things that i have learnt is to collect your winnings and put it to good use,so you dont regret it later on.. I never found the time to buy an mp3 player,but finally a win i recall on charlton to bt some team payed $6..I placed $150 and that made my week. That was prob my most sucessful punt. Other than that Ive lost a few too especially in sports i know crap about,because i was bored and had nothing to do.

not having placed a bet for a week and regret missing out on adelaide -3.5 to bt nz in the nbl..great value that was...I dont plan to punt til next nrl season..might prob just wait til the big race.

Anyways Chelsea this week @ 1.40 is good value..my opinion..could b wrong.

dont let gambling control your life.. it ruins your relationship and affects those around you..long term 95% of gamblers will lose out..Ive never in my life heard a sucess story. take your winnings and run like a pig..
Old 23rd October 2005, 10:47 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldmember
Moeee, Now there is only a certain amount for me to punt with.

cheers.

How does this part work?
Do you get someone to manage your finances.Do you give the pay packet to your missus?
I have often found that often the miserable feeling is in direct proportion to the amount lost on the day.
Old 23rd October 2005, 10:52 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefan
dont let gambling control your life.. it ruins your relationship and affects those around you..long term 95% of gamblers will lose out..Ive never in my life heard a sucess story. take your winnings and run like a pig..

2 things.There ain't no winnings and I can't run to save my life.

Actually I don't want to stop.
Many hobbies cost money to participate in.
I pretty much would like to pay a certain amount to keep my interest in Gambling.
HEY!
I think I have got to the root of the problem.
Set aside an amount and that's it!
Thanks guys.
Now HOW MUCH per week?
GOLDIE?
Old 23rd October 2005, 11:05 AM
Banned

mate you can only bet with what you are prepared to lose....
Old 23rd October 2005, 05:12 PM

I havent had a bet for a couple of months ,bought myself a camera and find that taking pic is lots of fun .....I found that youve got to get away from the win a million mentality ......if you can only afford $2 bets welll so be it get your money on and watch it go round ....Ive found a lot of it is down to ego ...wanting to be right when the others backed the fav.....but if losing makes you depressed or affects your family,then its not worth it ...you should do what makes you feel good not what makes you feel bad about yourself. The last couple of yeras Ive enjoyed myself ...Ive lost, but not much and its a small price to pay for the enjoyment I got out of it but then it all became a chor so I stopped ......But if I lost ...I never cursed, because thats punting ,but like they said dont let it run your life.
Old 23rd October 2005, 07:08 PM

i agree with the saying,only bet what you are prepared to lose..In all honestly, i have no problem with losing $20.However I never look at the bigger picture..the long term loss. I bet a majority of punters can sleep good at night after a $2 loss..When we start adding up that loss which can accumulate to thousands of dollars our thoughts will definetly be different. Who looks at the long term loss. All we look at is the result within the next 80-90 minutes.

Go enjoy your winnings,yeh buy a camera,an ipod,a holiday,enjoy it..Because if you cant withdraw money from your account,you will prob never. I learnt it the hard way.

My question to all punters..

How much % of your bank needs to grow before a withdrawl?
Old 23rd October 2005, 07:22 PM

Yes the "when is the time to stop" is a hard one. People who win think the winning can only continue. But over time they eek into their winnings, and they soon become lossings.

For me, i look at it this way. put aside $20 a week for gambling and thats that. Im not fussed at lossing $20 a week, but i would be fussed lossing $20 a day.

Basically, i bet throughout the week until i loose $20. So come Tuesday i could be $30 up. by Satday i could be -$15. Or i could loose it all on the one day. But with $2 bets it doesn't happen too often.

I follow a similar PPM tips (party poopers one's) i also have my harness racing too. Those tips are not time consuming, so im not loosing a lot of time, and as they say time=money.

If i was to loose $20 a week for a whole year. It might seem a lot when i stop and think about it. But the progressive loss isn't really a problem.

I think Chuck put it in a nutshell really.

And then thefan makes us wonder "when do you really stop" for me... it is an ego thing stated by goldmember, i enjoy being right. The money in itself wont make me a millionair, it wont win me a house. But it gives me my own personal enjoyment. I also play hockey, and its $250 for a stick, $30 for shin pads, $10 for socks, $150 for mouthguard, $50 for shoes, $10 per match, fuel for travel travelling around 2 hours including there and back, i also have to pay for my own injuries.... went to hospital. Registration is over $100 So in a season of 14 matches: It could well be $1000 in total for just one season.

Now $20 * 52 = $1040. For me, its the exact same amount of money gambling my $20 a week as it is playing hockey for a year.

Yet... you get all this niggling "you shouldn't be spending your money on horse racing, you'll end up broke"

Just keep record, and make sure you dont random bet.
Old 23rd October 2005, 08:54 PM

oaksnaf ur actually correct. Well there aint too many punters like yourself. You see it as enjoyment and entertainment,true,in gambling you have to enjoy it as well. However a majority of gamblers wont put aside that $20 nor be disciplined enough to not keep chasing after losses. Ive had many losses and wins. There hasnt been a loss big enough so that id effect my life and those around me.
I actually enjoy watching the horses run now without placing a single dollar on the event. I really needed someone to tell me that,gambling wont make me a millionaire or buy me a house... I look at life and gambling as a lesson.Everything happens for a reason.. Im really glad i had a big loss on the dragons/tigers match... i withdrewl all my funds up 400% up already and knew it was time for quits.. I was always told by many punters that by withdrawing you could be missing out on more opportunites.. I dont see it that way now..I could of blown the whole bank on a bad week. In the end money is actually nothing,its just something man created,but its the most powerful tool in the whole world..It controls people and holds power to those who hold it. Losing isnt the worst thing to come out of gambling, making those around you suffer is worst and fuking your head up..
One thing ive seen alot of people do is that, when they started out gambling a small win was a great celebration.Over the span of gambling,their lossess accumulated even though they were winning.The winnings would either be invested back on gambling.It was a cycle. They might make $500 a week in wages working a fulltime job but winning $1000 in an hour on horses still isnt enough for these punters.Why? Because their losses over the lifetime of their hobby has accumulated to over $100,000.. I feel sorry for them.. These punters will never collect or withdraw.. GAMBLING ISNT EASY MONEY!