Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Sports and Gambling
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 30th January 2004, 07:35 PM

I've been betting on the horses for years with some years profitable and some not. I always get restless with my approach but that's another story.
I've started betting on Tennis of late and it is a game I've played and followed for years. So far I'm doing very well albeit on a low sample. I was wondering how many of you out there make a consistent profit on tennis and do you think it is easier than the gallops?
I see the structure of the game as one which generally ensures the better player on the day wins (i.e you can have some bad line calls or a lapse in concentration, lose a game or maybe even a set but still win the match).
I don't buy tips on principle as for me there is no satisfaction in winning if you don't figure it out for yourself. Perhaps we could start a regular discussion on tennis? I just don't know how many people are interested.
Old 3rd February 2004, 12:53 PM

I have been betting on Tennis for about a year and found it far more profitable than the horses, however I have subscribed to the Tennis package on this site which gives excellent information and without that info I would struggle. Last year I made a profit 9 months out of 10 with a POT of just under 20%. This year has been a bit up and down with a great week the first week of the Open followed by a bad week last week but I am sure it will settle down just like last year now that the players current form is more apparent.

Good luck if you decide to do it yourself but to me the knowledge of a real expert is worth every cent of the subscription price.
Old 3rd February 2004, 01:02 PM

Hi becareful, did the POT of just under 20% include or exclude your subscription cost?
Old 3rd February 2004, 01:03 PM
Member.

Well, as my name would suggest, I'm a big fan of most sports and I like betting on most sports too. I actually like futures betting a bit more than individual match betting though.
Old 3rd February 2004, 01:10 PM

Quote:
On 2004-02-03 13:03, sportznut wrote:
Well, as my name would suggest, I'm a big fan of most sports and I like betting on most sports too. I actually like futures betting a bit more than individual match betting though.

If not a long story sportznut & assuming we are still talking tennis, what's the difference between "futures" & "individual match betting" ?
Old 3rd February 2004, 01:23 PM
Member.

'Futures' betting is simply betting on an overall event before it starts. For instance, backing Roger Federer at $5.50 to win the Australian Open before it starts, instead of backing him at $1.50 in the final.

[ This Message was edited by: sportznut on 2004-02-03 13:25 ]
Old 3rd February 2004, 01:36 PM

Gotcha sportznut, thanks.

Old 3rd February 2004, 11:07 PM

MyHatMyCoat,

The POT was just on my turnover so excluded subscription cost. But the great thing about the Tennis betting is the strike rate is very high so you can risk a much higher percentage of bank than with horse racing so the turnover is higher (and therefore $ profit is higher). Last year I started with a modest bank and multiplied it by around 10 times by the end of the year so it wasn't hard to cover the subscription costs!
Old 4th February 2004, 12:15 AM

Thanks becareful, sounds like you're on a good money spinner there.
Old 11th March 2004, 01:31 AM

Quote:
On 2004-01-30 19:35, Dirk Gently wrote:
I've been betting on the horses for years with some years profitable and some not. I always get restless with my approach but that's another story.
I've started betting on Tennis of late and it is a game I've played and followed for years. So far I'm doing very well albeit on a low sample. I was wondering how many of you out there make a consistent profit on tennis and do you think it is easier than the gallops?
I see the structure of the game as one which generally ensures the better player on the day wins (i.e you can have some bad line calls or a lapse in concentration, lose a game or maybe even a set but still win the match).
I don't buy tips on principle as for me there is no satisfaction in winning if you don't figure it out for yourself. Perhaps we could start a regular discussion on tennis? I just don't know how many people are interested.
DIRK GENTLY. FULLY AGREE WITH YOU ABOUT THE TENNIS. I THIK ANY SPORT WITH JUST 2 possible outcomes is a good betting proposition if you know a lot about the sport as you will be right probably often enough to make a handsome profit ; snooker and darts also;