Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Race Betting Systems
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 19th August 2007, 08:03 AM

Default Quinella v Exacta

Hi All

I was wondering if anyone's done any research on the relationship between quinella divs v exacta divs? I was planning on backing my top 4 rated selections for each race in a boxed quinella @ 5 units ($30). However I saw a few exacta divs for my test races that were more than twice the quinella div so thought about staking 2.5 units on an Exacta box (for the same outlay) in the hope of improving my POT. However the exacta divs I received in my "live" races yesterday were not twice as much as the quinella which suggests the quinella was the way to go. Clearly it'll differ from race to race but wondered whether anyone has any thoughts on the relationship between the two divs over the long term?

Also, while on the subject of divs, I wondered whether anyone has researched the relative merits of taking top fluc v the guaranteed "TAB" odds (usually guarantee to beat 2 of 3 TAB divs) that the online layers offer?

Many thanks
Old 19th August 2007, 08:34 AM
Suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky12
Hi All

I was wondering if anyone's done any research on the relationship between quinella divs v exacta divs? I was planning on backing my top 4 rated selections for each race in a boxed quinella @ 5 units ($30). However I saw a few exacta divs for my test races that were more than twice the quinella div so thought about staking 2.5 units on an Exacta box (for the same outlay)
Many thanks

5 units of quin. for $30 or 2.5units of exacta for the same price. Yes the exacta often pays double quin., but for your $30 you get double the quin. units which often would put you well in front of the exacta return for the same money. And as you have noted, the exacta doesn't always pay twice the quin.
A couple of the downsides of on-line betting are the obvious dangers of credit-card betting for a very small price advantage and the loss of convenience of being able to walk into any TAB outlet and withdrawing hard cash in the hand. No bank charges either.

It's a personal decision really but if your a $100 a week out of pocket bank punter like 90% of punters, I can't see the point in moving from the convenience of TAB punting into the possible risks of credit-card punting. The big risk being over-punting, often induced by punting and drinking at the same time. Like I said, It's a personal thing but self control and money management are always going to be the big issues. On-line CC gambling in the USA has recently been banned for very good reasons.

I have one NT account with IAS [after trying a few, the best of the bunch I think], a Betfair account and a Stab account. Like most things in life, all have their advantages and disadvantages. My fear of her in the kitchen is far greater than my fear of over-punting with a CC. If I was single I'd stick to the TAB only.

Last edited by crash : 19th August 2007 at 09:01 AM.
Old 19th August 2007, 09:23 AM
Banned

maybe this is one issue that many here who have punted for some time would agree on - funding of betting accounts of any type via credit card is lunacy

while going out & whacking that monster plasma tele on the cc might not be the smartest financial move one could make, unless a thief pays a visit it will still be there in the morning.

not the same could be said for many a punting account

sorry if ive strayed off the thread subject
Old 19th August 2007, 09:32 AM

Here are my winning bets for yesterday with the price i got and the Tab price

MR2 MASTER O'REILLY $3.80 / $3.20
MR4 SLEEK CHASSIS $1.40 / $1.20
MR6 MALDIVIAN $4.00 / $3.90
MR7 BON HOFFA $6.90-$2.60 / $6.60-$2.10
MR7 FLASH COUPE $10.50 / $9.20
MR8 UNIVERSAL QUEEN $1.30 / $1.20

The win bet returned 30 cents more for the dollar
The place bets returned $2.70 more for the dollar

I think that answers the question of where the better prices are, i can place all my bets early and still getthe better prices.
Old 19th August 2007, 10:11 AM
Suspended.

Your right Shaun and there is no arguments about the better overall price of winners on-line.

It's the price of losers that can become the real bugbear for many punters, when as they often do using a CC, punt far more that they can afford.
If your a good money manager no problems, but Aust. is going to go down the toilet due to spending money we haven't got, so CC punting is obviously an issue that can't be so simply ignored by just quoting more attractive on-line prices.

Higher return = higher risks, just like the stock market and a lot of people come to some real grief there.
Old 19th August 2007, 10:26 AM

when i was younger i had mates that were gamblers and would put thier whole pay through the Tab, if you can't handle the punt in those cases it won't matter where you punt.

If you are interested in the better prices but are worried about using a CC then you could deposit via BPay you will have to wait a day for the money but i am sure that won't bother you.

If you want instant transfers ask your bank about a Visa Debit Card works just like a CC but you need the funds in your account for it to work no Credit
Old 19th August 2007, 11:59 AM
Suspended.

The best way to go sure [no CC use] but there are sites, well one in particular I'm thinking of, offer instant $500 credit [and more] at the click of a button, no CC involved. I don't know what their interest rates are, but I'm sure they are large. They encourage wagering debt!
Old 19th August 2007, 01:01 PM

Wink

Sparky12, the exacta will generally pay more than double the quinella if the winner is an outsider or at a higher price than the second horse.

Because the TAB take-out is less for the quinella than the exacta (NSW TAB - I don't know about the other TABs) it would be logical to assume that the quinella provides better value - or less bad value because approx a 16% take-out on quinellas should not be connected to the word "better".
Old 19th August 2007, 02:30 PM

Michael G - many thanks - that makes sense based on some analysis I have done - think I will stick to the quinnellas for now. I use Unitab mostly for my test dividends, don't know what their takes are from the respective pools but be good to find out.Crash - I think everyone on here would agree that on-line wagering fraught with danger. However most of us on here (I suspect) are puting in a few hours each week to try and avoid becoming one of the masses losing on the punt. I think our ability to make any sort of profit is aided by the improved returns the likes of IASbet and Sportsbet (and Befair) appear to provide. For example, yesterday I made a small profit on my betting (via IAS and Sportsbet) which would have been reduced to a marginal loss under Unitab divs. Sure, its only one day and its the long run that counts but from what I've read here and elsewhere, we need to chase improved (and value) odds whenever we can if we hope to make a profit in the long run?
Old 19th August 2007, 02:44 PM
Suspended.

Smile

Yep, chase value for sure ...but always weigh risk in the equation. For some, the little extra from on-line punting is worth it and [obviously] to many others it isn't. Almost all punters lose regardless of odds or where they bet.

PS: When it come to winning at punting, punters generally [no, I'm not being personal] are no different to fishermen :-))

Last edited by crash : 19th August 2007 at 02:55 PM.