Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Race Betting Systems
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 26th November 2013, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyBen
Paul
Your point about maximum draw down being the main item is very important when working out bank size.
Unrelated to this topic, do you find that you have tracks where your ratings perform well below your norm?

Hi Speedy,

Our ratings perform consistently across all tracks and geographical areas. From a betting perspective, I have no issue betting on any track if the right opportunity presents itself and I have the capacity to bet as I would like.

Paul Daily - Ratings2Win Pty Ltd (Director)
R2W Axis - Axis is Australia's leading horse racing software and database; with sophisticated form analysis tools and accurate performance ratings that include Hong Kong.
http://www.ratings2win.com.au/
Old 26th November 2013, 06:55 PM

michal,
I can relate to your post.
6PM on NRL grand final day - October 6 2013
HK race 5
Working on some software issues i get distracted with something else and don't fully finish of my selections. - i had some problem where i had to run my program twice to get the HK selections.
anyhow because of the distraction i didn't do that.
"Lucky Fortune" is my selection and i was scheduled to have 420 on it.
it wins at avg dividend of about $90.

IMHO that is serious coin

the punting gods are so cruel some times.

the minute you take your eye off the ball they will swoop.

so i agree with what you say - the actual execution is not as easy as it looks on paper and in retrospect.

Last edited by aussielongboat : 26th November 2013 at 06:57 PM.
Old 26th November 2013, 07:00 PM

I have a system that shows similar results, and Michal, your post is interesting, but it doesn't reflect what's happened to my longshot system. I've never had the run of outs you suggest, no where near it actually. My research shows that for instance, even money pops, or 50 / 50 chances can put you out of business quicker than a system with a lower strike rate because you're punting the stats "knowing" that consistency wont allow a run of outs that will destroy your bank, but if you're punting these shorties, then your outlay in terms of % of your bank is much, much higher, so the stress after a few runs of outs is infinitely greater. In short, a run of outs on the shorties and you're gone. A run of outs of say 5 or 6 can leave you hanging by your goolies. How do you come back from that? Yet the stats tell you that the best LOT are the shorties, increasing until you get to 50's plus then the chances of a winner are like 500 / 1. I use my longshot system as one of four systems I punt concurrently and it's as consistent as any system I've come across. shifty, even tho' you're pleased I'm not around (I'll disappear again shortly), if you have a system that's stood the test of time, and has some logic behind it, then go for it.
Old 26th November 2013, 09:04 PM

Hi Aussielongboat,

Thanks for that; Yes, you will remember that date for a while I suspect, its hard to find winners let alone deal with all the problems and issues and setbacks like that especially if one is not in front is hard to deal with, and for many might just be the beginning of the end. The only way to deal with the punting gods is never give them a chance to pounce, easier said then done!!!

Hi Barny,
All systems are different in their dynamic and performance, however no one is above mathematical laws. I learned that the hard way, many times. It simply is much easier to live with them, accept them rather then ignore and hope they miss you. Everyone has to find their own level of risk vs reward ratio and work withing their comfort zone. You obviously found yours, well done!

Kind regards

Last edited by Michal : 26th November 2013 at 09:06 PM.
Old 26th November 2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty
what would be the longest losing streak for a system with a win s/r of 8.4% please?

this is the excel formula to calculate it

=ROUND(LN(D3)/-LN((1-E3)),0)
where D3 holds the sample size and E3 is the probability.

so if you had 1000 bets your longest run of outs (ROOTS) could be as high as 79
for 5000= 97 and 10000= 105.
even in your first 500 you could expect ROOTS of 71 and in the first 100 - 52 ROOTS

so if your bank wasn't big enough you could be ROOTED by the ROOTS
Old 27th November 2013, 05:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyBen

.. do you find that you have tracks where your ratings perform well below your norm?

IMO, you make a good point here Speedy. I record the performance of the Open 1st & 2nd favourites for every race, as it's inherit in the system I use. I believe that tracks used rarely for TAB races like Clare, Hamilton, Warren...etc, have a poor performance with regard oncourse bookmakers Open favourites. But in saying that you can get Eagle Farm say on the 13th of Nov and not one 1st or 2nd Open favourite won!

Design of the course has got a lot to do with it I think. I can't remember which track it was from yesterday, Port Macquarie or Townsville, but the nature of the track design was that after rounding the home turn they were bunched well and then the straight was long and wide which gave the backmarkers a chance to find the lead?

There's definitely something to be said for the track design and local knowledge at indistinct tracks.
Old 27th November 2013, 11:59 AM

Hi RP and Speedy,

RP, you have hit the nail on the head re track design and track racing characteristics. In my opinion anyway, that isn't so much shown in the performance of the ratings for a given track but rather from picking the right horse in a race or letting a race go because the horses that you fancy are disadvantaged. Track specific calculations are taken into account by our ratings software as well in overcoming what you describe on a track performance level.

Speedy, one of the many reasons that most ratings have flat-spots at some tracks, can be explained by the form and calculation methods they use. We have really not written much on this forum regarding the data correction processes that we undertake on a daily basis, but it's fair to say that these routines comprise approximately 35% of all our programming code. This gives you some idea about the enormity of the task required to turn the so called "official" form into something that is accurate and for the most part free from the plethora of errors that otherwise go unnoticed. Below is a link to our Axis educational articles should you be interested that explains in part what we do with our data. It is explained in the article titled R2W Data:

http://www.ratings2win.com.au/learn...tional-articles

We source amongst other things accurate times for every Australian, NZ and HK TAB race run and apply that to our main database. This is a huge and expensive task. But for anyone using the times and margins for that matter, track conditions and even distances that are wrong to calculate ratings then they can't be surprised that many tracks offer seemingly poorer performance. The more significant the errors the bigger the decline in a ratings ability to be correct.

I'm not saying that you can't win with "official" form, of course you can! All I am saying, is that our corrections produce a superior level of performance across all tracks long-term. Having the luxury of not have to second guess the many (good or bad) performances of individual horses, wondering if they are real or if the time was out by a second or more, goes a long way towards maintaining a clear mind so that I can then undertake more detailed form study which in turn allows me to execute my bets with confidence. Oh and the better rating performance doesn't hurt either!

Paul Daily - Ratings2Win Pty Ltd (Director)
R2W Axis - Axis is Australia's leading horse racing software and database; with sophisticated form analysis tools and accurate performance ratings that include Hong Kong.
Old 27th November 2013, 04:17 PM

Thumbs up

Paul
I will read the article. In another life when I used to delve into ratings I never found one that didn't have weaknesses either by course or distance. This wasn't always a problem if I had enough data to know their weaknesses and ignore the ratings in the approp cases. Congrats on overcoming the problem. As a programmer for many years I'm not at all surprised at the amount of code reqd to sort this aspect out.
Old 29th November 2013, 06:17 PM
Banned

I have posted most of this before (I don't know how to provide a link):

Often I see people ask how many losers can be expected before a win (a worst case scenario).

Let C=the prob of at least 1 win from n races, called the certainty, expressed as a decimal.
Let q=the prob of a LOSS in a race, expressed as a decimal.

Now to be 100% certain you need an infinite number of races so this theory expects you to decide on an acceptable certainty usually 90% or 95%.

Thus C=1-prob of all losing
that is C=1-q^n

If you solve this the number of expected outs is

n=log(1-C)/log q

You can use log or ln on your calculator but it has to be the same throughout the calculation.

For example, with the previous place percent example (22% win rate) and chosing C=95%,

n=log(1-0.95)/log0.78
n=log0.05/log0.78
n=12.06 so you can be 95% sure of at least one winner in about 12 races.

To be 99% sure it takes a run of about 18 or 19 races.

The above is based on the binomial theorem of probability which does have some caveats.
gunny