Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Sports and Gambling
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 1st March 2004, 01:47 PM
Member.

Did anyone bet on the Oscars? I bet nice and early and I reckon I've got pretty good odds about my tips.

Best Film: Lord Of The Rings $1.20 (today it's paying $1.04)
Best Actress: Charlize Theron $1.35 ($1.04)
Best Supporting Actor: Tim Robbins $1.60 ($1.25)
Best Supporting Actress: Renee Zellweger $1.40 ($1.12)

I didn't bet in the Best Actor category, because I couldn't choose between Sean Penn and Bill Murray. I think Penn will probably win but I'd love to see Murray win it. I think Peter Jackson will probably win Best Director too.

[ This Message was edited by: sportznut on 2004-03-01 13:50 ]
Old 1st March 2004, 05:42 PM

Sportz,
Good luck to you, I was going to have a bet but couldn't get any info which barriers they were coming from :grin:
Old 2nd March 2004, 12:59 AM
Member.

I did well with my oscars tips, but I must admit that it wasn't really that hard. I thought they looked like good things all along.

[ This Message was edited by: sportznut on 2004-03-02 01:01 ]
Old 2nd March 2004, 12:07 PM

Hi, Sportznut.

I too had bets (small) on the Oscars. My bets were identical to your selections, but I backed both Murray and Sean Penn in the Best Actor category, and was able to show an acceptable profit. My bets were with Betfair where the odds were vastly superior to the TAB, as is 99% of all betting.

To my recollection, there never has been any major upsets with Best Movie, Best Actor and Best Actress. The Oscar always seems to go to the fav or second-fav in these categories. Maybe because the race has "aready been run" enabling the punter and bookie to reduce the nominees to only two possibilities.

Old 2nd March 2004, 12:31 PM
Member.

Michaelg,

I suppose you got better odds than me? I bet with TAB Sportsbet and I actually thought I did pretty well considering the odds that they ended up.

Anyway, you're right, the favourites almost always win Best Actor, Actress and Film. It's the Supporting Actor and Actress where you sometimes get upsets, but they too looked like good things to me this year.

[ This Message was edited by: sportznut on 2004-03-02 12:33 ]
Old 2nd March 2004, 04:37 PM

Sportznut.

My bets were placed Monday about 8 a.m. and they more or less coincided with your prices. It's surprising those generous odds had been available at the TAB, even at the very commencement of betting.

If you compare the current prices for Sunday's Formula One car race, Betfair beats the TAB hands-down. I'm not a car fan, but with Betfair's odds I'll most likely have a bet on several drivers as it seems they win just about every race. I believe this also applies to motor-bike racing.

[ This Message was edited by: michaelg on 2004-03-02 16:39 ]
Old 2nd March 2004, 05:07 PM
Member.

Motor Racing is one of very few sports that I'm not really a fan of. Yes, you're right though. The races are normally won by the same drivers. However, in the past there has often been a high attrition rate in the Australian Grand Prix, meaning it is one place where there is at least some chance of an upset.

[ This Message was edited by: sportznut on 2004-03-02 23:10 ]