Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Racing
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 6th October 2005, 09:31 AM

Default Makybe Diva WILL win the Melbourne Cup

Okay, I'm not basing this on her form which is most certainly strong enough in any case. This is what I'm basing it on:

When TAB Sportsbet opened their betting on the Melbourne Cup this year, they ran a special promotion. For a short period of time, they offered a special price of $21 about both Vinnie Roe and Makybe Diva. Loads of people jumped on quickly. Well, silly me, for some reason I actually believed all of the damn talk about Makybe Diva which was that they weren't going to even attempt the Cup with her this year. Instead I only put a piddly little $5 bet on Vinnie Roe.

Being the pessimist that I am, I just know that she's an absolute certainty to win the race now that I've missed out on those juicy odds. And she'll only be about $3 on the day. As for Vinnie Roe, he probably won't even come out here for the cup now.

Last edited by Sportz : 6th October 2005 at 09:43 AM.
Old 6th October 2005, 09:43 AM

Default Money Talks.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportz
Okay, I'm not basing this on her form which is most certainly strong enough in any case. This is what I'm basing it on:

When TAB Sportsbet opened their betting on the Melbourne Cup this year, they ran a special promotion. For a short period of time, they offered a special price of $21 about both Vinnie Roe and Makybe Diva. Loads of people jumped on quickly. Well, silly me, for some reason I actually believed all of the damn talk about Makybe Diva which was that she simply wasn't going to even attempt the Cup. Instead I only put a piddly little $5 bet on Vinnie Roe.

Being the pessimist that I am, I just know that she's a certainty to win the race now that I've missed out on those odds. And she'll only be about $3 on the day. As for Vinnie Roe, he probably won't even come out here for the cup.
The money they have put on in the past two days say's she will win going backward........ (maybe Vinnie is scared... ??).........but I'm still on Vouvray
Old 6th October 2005, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix
The money they have put on in the past two days say's she will win going backward........ (maybe Vinnie is scared... ??).........but I'm still on Vouvray

According to newspaper reports $150,000 was bet on her alone yesterday, she is now into $4 in the pre-post markets.
Old 6th October 2005, 12:11 PM

Red face

might as well maintain my obvious unpopularity on this forum bydisagreeing with you to Sportz!!Lee Freedman has stated all along that he was training her specifically for the Cox and that it would be to big an ask to back up in the Cup,and that he was waiting on the owner to advise him if he wanted to run in both.I remember laughing to myself when they had that promo you mentioned.At that stage I was convinced that neither would even run,from memory the minimum bet on her or Vinnie was $5 and maximum $50.The Diva quota was apparently sold out in 3 hours.Even if Vinnie does come,and I doubt it will,I think he had his chance to beat her last year and couldnt,and Dermot Weld is too smart to spend megabucks to come back with him when he knows he cant win,or at least cant beat her on her own turf.

Looking at cold hard stats,the imports record is pretty poor,regardless of all the hype that surrounds them,yet people get sucked in by it every year!!Having said that,and not wanting to contradict myself,I have some good doubles going in the CC with Distinction,which is already booked to come,and ran a big race last year for 6th from memory.I just hope they wise up and put a local jockey on it.

Another cold stat to consider,how many 7yo mares have won the Cup and how many mares have won it with the steadier of 58kgs??

And another stat,the record of favs in the Cup is abyssmal.Imo anyone who takes even money in the Cox,which I believe she will be,she's in to $2.30 already,or $3 in the MC,has obviously got more money than sense.

Imo the CC and the MC are fairly open this year,there is no standout at this stage.And remember the words of a bloke called Bart whose won the odd one or two,they have to have a lot of miles in their legs leading up to the Cup And run the wekend before to top them off.Dont forget the horse that bolted in with the Adelaide Cup Demerger.I took 25s its now in to 10s,so must be a bit of money for it,and it will run 2 miles right out.

Think the Cox is a 2 horse race,with Xcellent beating the Diva with Lad in 3rd spot.He has an incredible turn of foot(like her)it may come down to luck in running or the best ride on the day.He has only had 7 starts for 6 wins,for at G1,my only concern is the strathayr surface and the tight turns ay the Valley.

I will go on record by declaring him NEARLY a good thing at e/w odds.Have had a good hit at $6.50 and intend to unload more.

I am not canning the Diva,she is one of my favourite horses,but really think he is the heir apparent to her throne.

Apologies for digressing from your original topic.

cheers and good luck whatever you back.
Old 6th October 2005, 12:16 PM

So, are you saying that if you HAD backed Makybe Diva at $21 back then, you WOULDN'T be feeling very happy with yourself now???

Put it this way? If someone offered you $21 now, would you jump on???

That's what I mean. I'm not saying that she's any certainty to win the Cup, but surely $21 is looking pretty damn good right now.

Last edited by Sportz : 6th October 2005 at 12:20 PM.
Old 6th October 2005, 01:16 PM

Question

Maybe I am not as loopy as a lot of you seem to think,but I am entitled to my opinion,whether you agree or not!Yes,I would have a NIBBLE only if offered that price now,but I still dont believe she will run.Maybe you guys know something I dont,BUT I have not yet read anywhere that she is a certain starter yet.IMO they are waiting to see what the Cox takes out of her,and if Xcellent does beat her and he goes on to the Cup with a huge weight advantage,she will not run,so you could have got $51 and it would mean ************ all!!And I believe you are crying over spilt milk!!If you had $5 on Vinnie when there certainty he was even coming,why didnt you risk another $5 on the Diva??Cant work out your logic there mate,sorry.
Old 6th October 2005, 01:32 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel417
And I believe you are crying over spilt milk!! If you had $5 on Vinnie when there certainty he was even coming,why didnt you risk another $5 on the Diva??Cant work out your logic there mate,sorry.

Ahhh yeah, neither can I right now. It was only a $5 bet, so I don't know why I didn't do the same with her. But I have to say that at that stage I was pretty confident that he WOULD be in the cup and almost certain that she WOULDN'T be. Shows how futile it is to try to work out what they're going to do months out from the race.

Last edited by Sportz : 6th October 2005 at 01:38 PM.
Old 6th October 2005, 08:25 PM

Talking

mate please dont think that I was having a go at you or your punting integrity,I just truly belieieve thwt SPORTSBET THOUGHT WHERE TRYING TO SUCK IN A LOT OF MONEY OFF MUG PUNTERS WHO COULD NOT RESIST THE $21 ON OFFER ON TWO HORSES THAT THEY REALLY THOUGHT WOULD NOT EVEN BE GOING AROUND.tHAT IS FRAUD,AND i REALLY HOPE THEY COP IT UP THE YOU KNOW WHERE.
Old 6th October 2005, 08:40 PM
Banned

and grey's inn will win the yalumba and the cox, because i left it out of my stable, when i wanted it, but chose vouvray instead
Old 6th October 2005, 08:42 PM

The only early bets I have had have been involved in doubles nothing massive bet wise but the odds were not to bad at the time I think one I had was Vouvray to win the Caulfield Cup and Railings to win the Melbourne Cup at $465-1 for $10 obviously if that by some miracle gets up then I will be ecstatic. The same bet right now sits at $170-1 so I guess if nothing else I also got some great value compared to now but only if both horses end up starting in the cups that is the chance you take. I also had $5 e/w on Railings for the MC at $61-1 he is now $17-1 that looks alright to the ting that worries me about Railings is the fact that I don't think Hawkes has ever trained a cup winner might be wrong there I also doubt he has really had a horse that could win certainly recently anyway.