Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Racing
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 23rd March 2006, 06:20 PM
Suspended.

Default CRASH'S PLACE PLACE

Boy, everyone knows here I am a win only man mostly. However, I'm a bit intrigued by efforts to bet the place and make a profit. Not so easy considering the SR required to beat the place due to odds paid.

Obviously the best place [no pun intended] to look is at the reasonable shorties as they seem to pay up to 50+% of the win price often enough to maybe make a go of it.I came up with a little bit of a system as guidance plus a bit of race reading, so lets see how we go for awhile. Concentrates on 1st to 4th PP favorites. Maximizing odds is definitely the go, so AIS is my preferred bet site [anyone know a better one for place bets?].

The system guidence is: I ignore all maidens, 2yr. olds, Cups, Stakes and Special event races and below C2. Distances between 1100m and 2050m on good tracks only [PP is for good tracks only]. First and second uppers are ignored as are 57+kg. carriers except on Sat. [57 1/2 kg. is OK] after claims.
Everything else is race reading with a 'yes' or 'no' bet.

Today I had 4 selections. 2 of them have already run with 2 to go in WA.

Place only-

Albury:
R5/6 Paint box [unp]
R8/7 Coolroom Candidate [W$4/$2 STAB and $2.07 AIS where I placed my bets].
York:
R6/4 Under Attack
R7/7 Old Value

Outlay 4 units.

Last edited by crash : 23rd March 2006 at 06:46 PM.
Old 23rd March 2006, 09:28 PM
Suspended.

Place only-

Albury:
R5/6 Paint box [unp]
R8/7 Coolroom Candidate [W$4/$2 STAB and $2.07 AIS where I placed my bets].
York:
R6/4 Under Attack [2nd $1.43 IAS and $1.30 STAB]
R7/7 Old Value [unp].

Outlay 4 units. Return AIS 3.5 units. Loss 0.5 units. 3 out of 4 to make a profit is a hard ask.
Paint box started 2nd. fav. and Old Value Fav. Both had good Jocks. See what tomorrow turns up.
Old 23rd March 2006, 09:50 PM

Unlucky today crash.

You need to find some value runners rather than try to tip 75%. If you can get all your runners paying $2.00+ you only need to hit half of them.

Good Luck Tommorrow.
Old 23rd March 2006, 11:59 PM

I had a big place only bet yesterday in Prince Rhubarb looking it had decent form and was meeting a field of only 8 hurdlers, got $2.25 with surebet and was just hoping that it would get run down in the straight, it did and that made me very happy, as there is nothing worse then betting place and it gets up and wins, other then running fourth that is.
Old 24th March 2006, 01:03 AM

Crash,
My "turf" here (so to speak) as you know I have been heavily into place betting for a few years now (apart from my spell away)

What I really want is BEST of 3 totes, I'm told it is available but I can only find it for the win NOT place only.

My compromise is to back Half of the stake @ best of 2 totes (i.e. S/Tab + NSW TAB) and the other half @ Unitab, so at least I always have a taste of the best price.

My S/R is still hovering around the 75% mark.

Interesting though, my stakes have been spread around a bit so far (deliberately) so am more than a bit concerned about that OTHER thread regarding winning accounts being closed.
Old 24th March 2006, 07:02 AM
Suspended.

Thanks punters for the input.

This place business really is an interesting exercise. Yesterday was my second go at it. The day before I had about 15 bets and broke even. If I had left the 'Newmarket' alone and the race before and after it [loss bets]. I would have made money. I was using a straight system approach. Something I made up that does produce a high SR but mostly too many bets [yesterday was an exception].

PLACE THE RULE-FITTING FAVORITE SYSTEM

Any day except Sunday or night and public holiday meetings.
Ignore below class C2 races. Cups, Hurdles, 2yr olds and Stakes races.
Distances 1100m to 2050m only and in Good conditions only.

1, select the PP favorite.
2. must not be first or second up unless it has a very good record for 1st and 2nd up.
3. must not be carrying more than 57kg. after allowances. 57 1/2 kg. for Sat. Metro.
4.must be in barrier 9 or less except on big tracks.
5 must have raced within the last 21 days.
6 if the PP favorite fits the above it's a Place bet.
7 if the favorite doesn't fit the rules move on to the second favorite etc.
8 if more than 1 horse is on the 2nd fav. line, the lower TAB No. is 2nd. etc.
9 Ignore the race if one of the first 4 PP favorites doesn't fit the rules.
10.Do not back females against males [unless her name starts with Macka:-)]

On Wednesday this produced too many bets. I back-fitted it over about 100 races from races with the PP odds I'd copied and pasted from the WAtab site [trying to build a PP databank but it's a bit of a drudge putting in all the results at the end of the day]. A very high SR of about 85% was achieved.
SA last Sat. was 8 out of 8. Melb. lost [on every Stakes race]. NSW [lost on the stakes except 1] and Qld both won.

I think the go is a bit of race reading and not too many bets. A few
big bets is always better than small bets and lots of them [win or place]. The system needs another rule to reduce bets [last start 16 days?] or race reading anyway.

Trying for $2+ odds gets into rocky ground. A place of $2.50 is often from a runner paying up to $15 for the win ! The $2 to $6 SP [they pay up to $3.50 the place] to win seems to be the best ground to find place bets with value I think [longer odds are too heavily backed for the place and $15 SP is often paying only $2.50/$3 P], but I'm not sitting in front of a monitor all day so I go on the PP odds only. AIS pays better than 2 Tabs [only]. Trap there is that often the 3rd TAB price is often better!!

Last edited by crash : 24th March 2006 at 07:31 AM.
Old 24th March 2006, 12:14 PM
Suspended.

Well I'll I'll see how these go today. They are all the horses by the rules above.

I'll have a look at their form and decide which is a bet or not for myself personaly. Maybe all of them, maybe not. But for interest sake I've put them all in.

Albury.
R4/4 KING OF ILLAWARRA
R6/7 PRETTIFY
R8/1 DOWER [NZ]

Port Macquire [DEAD]

Rockhampton
R2/5 RAINBOW DANCER
R8/3 PEDREE

Sale
R7/3 OUR RAPHAEL
R8/2 TWELVE OAKS
Old 24th March 2006, 12:21 PM

Crash, try this one: must have a win in exposed form UNLESS 1st up over 1200m OR LESS, also no 3kg claimers, that usually sorts em out!!
Old 24th March 2006, 01:09 PM
Suspended.

The win in exposed form is a good one Party. But jeez, there are a few good claimers around. Keen as mustard these kids. I do rule out 4kg. claimers though !

Sale R7/3 certainly deserves some more place dosh on it. Heck, I might even take it 1x6 each way !

Albury R8/1 might get a few more place pennies on it [has a claimer too].

They all look reasonable place bets after a look at the form.
Old 24th March 2006, 06:09 PM
Suspended.

AIS Prices.

Albury.
R4/4 KING OF ILLAWARRA [unp]
R6/7 PRETTIFY [$2.06p]
R8/1 DOWER [NZ] [unp F]

Port Macquire [DEAD]

Rockhampton
R2/5 RAINBOW DANCER [$1.64p]
R8/3 PEDREE [$3.33p]. $4.30 STAB !

Sale