Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > General Topics
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 31st December 2014, 01:51 PM

Question Building a Betfair Bot

Can a Betfair bot be built with no programming knowledge whatsoever?

I've looked around on this site and others and it seems you need some semblance of programming knowledge. The developer site on Betfair are going on about some gobilty gook that I don't understand.

Also I didn't want to spend any money on it as I can do what I would like to do with the BF Bot Manager multi strategy bot but that costs something like $30 per month.

― Earl Nightingale
Old 31st December 2014, 02:37 PM

Ocho,

The simple answer is yes a simple bot can be built by using the samples.
The long answer is it depends on what you want to do.

Let me know what you want to do and I can give you a better guide.
Old 31st December 2014, 03:45 PM

Learning to program takes years of full-time effort for the average person, and then it would take at least a few months to put a non-trivial bot together.

When I started punting I already knew how to program, and if I had found something that did what I needed for $30/month I would have jumped on it and saved myself a whole lot of time.
Old 31st December 2014, 04:03 PM

I've been wondering the same thing myself lately. I've got limited program coding knowledge but i've built websites essentially from scratch and worked with macro's in excel etc a fair bit now. Of late I've wondered if I should/could create something that automates my bet placement and race/form recording for me so it could even run while I'm not home.

I understand its a pretty monumental task but it would be pretty rewarding and potentially time saving once it was in place.

I think the biggest issues is not really having any idea where to start. I'm pretty good at picking things up once I have some initial direction or examples to work with.
Old 31st December 2014, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evajb001
I've been wondering the same thing myself lately. I've got limited program coding knowledge but i've built websites essentially from scratch and worked with macro's in excel etc a fair bit now. Of late I've wondered if I should/could create something that automates my bet placement and race/form recording for me so it could even run while I'm not home.

I understand its a pretty monumental task but it would be pretty rewarding and potentially time saving once it was in place.

I think the biggest issues is not really having any idea where to start. I'm pretty good at picking things up once I have some initial direction or examples to work with.

Since you know excel.

Start here for sample code...

https://api.developer.betfair.com/s...?pageId=3834079

and then read the getting started guide.

https://api.developer.betfair.com/s...ted+with+API-NG

If you know some simple VB then this should be easy enough for you to work out.
Old 31st December 2014, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UselessBettor
Ocho,

The simple answer is yes a simple bot can be built by using the samples.
The long answer is it depends on what you want to do.

Let me know what you want to do and I can give you a better guide.

I've seen some samples on a web site or two but wouldn't have a clue what to do with them. Do you just download them and run them? As I said, I wouldn't have a clue.

― Earl Nightingale
Old 31st December 2014, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UselessBettor
Since you know excel.

Start here for sample code...

https://api.developer.betfair.com/s...?pageId=3834079

and then read the getting started guide.

https://api.developer.betfair.com/s...ted+with+API-NG

If you know some simple VB then this should be easy enough for you to work out.

LOL, I'm stuck at the first instruction: Clone the repository at... What does that even mean?

And then it says: Open the Excel workbook. Obtain an app key and session token (from where?) and enter them into sheet Example cells B3 and B4 respectively.

Oh well, I thought it was worth asking.

― Earl Nightingale

Last edited by The Ocho : 31st December 2014 at 04:37 PM.
Old 31st December 2014, 07:13 PM
Banned

Google DIY Betfair Bots forum, lots of info there
Old 31st December 2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
LOL, I'm stuck at the first instruction: Clone the repository at... What does that even mean?

And then it says: Open the Excel workbook. Obtain an app key and session token (from where?) and enter them into sheet Example cells B3 and B4 respectively.

Oh well, I thought it was worth asking.

Me to
And therein lies the paradox, it works for some straight off the bat,for others it's possible, and I don't know what else there is.

What they are saying is, "we won't sell you or give you a "car" to drive or play with, unless you build your own from scratch in accordance with these specific tools,(program code) then you can play, and it does not come with a warranty."

So basically it becomes a white elephant after hours and hours of figuring out the language, trying to look for similarities with basic Excel VBA Recorded Macros and it's a totally different ball game. But in the mind many know what they want to do, yet can't put it out here or there cos it's simple yet complicated and everyone has an opinion.

Woops, there goes another race, must rush, em bot off off to the TAB before it's missed.
Old 31st December 2014, 09:20 PM

Puntz just a quicky .. are you still off the death sticks mate?

Cheers LG