Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Race Betting Systems
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 20th May 2007, 07:27 PM

Angry, many thousands of people do not agree with you but that's ok, just as a matter of "interest" (no pun intended) who do you bank with?
Old 20th May 2007, 07:35 PM

I think this will only work with Australian sports books but they could introduce BPay service as they have with the Tabs this would solve the problem or create a bigger one.
Old 20th May 2007, 07:50 PM

Banks will be Banks ............I dont have a credit card (thank god) only a visa debit card and if I did have one, I (as in me personally ) wouldnt be using it for the punt .
Old 20th May 2007, 08:21 PM
Suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryPixie
No a cash advance is a personal loan against your credit card regardless as to whether you've recieved cash in hand or not. Your borrowing money from the bank to gamble with. You've recieved no product or service.

Regardless of the semantics, if one is now doing it they all will follow suit.

Ok, so I buy a video player at my local Harvey Normans with my credit card. Am I borrowing money from the bank? Of course I am. It's called a CREDIT CARD for OBVIOUS reasons. Why? Because EVERY purchase is done with BORROWED money!!! Not to be confused with a cash advance, because then I'm borrowing CASH [the real folding stuff], not goods or services.

Oh deary me, why was I born into THIS world!!!
Old 20th May 2007, 08:26 PM

Poop

I've no doubt that many thousands don't agree. It's whether the banks and the legislators do that's the issue. I've nothing else to add other than agreeing with Floydboy below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydyboy
Banks will be Banks ............I dont have a credit card (thank god) only a visa debit card and if I did have one, I (as in me personally ) wouldnt be using it for the punt .

That's the cleverist thing anybody has said in this thread. Any talk of using credit for the punt should be stopped immediately to protect the weak willed.
Old 20th May 2007, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash
Not to be confused with a cash advance, because then I'm borrowing CASH [the real folding stuff], not goods or services.

If you transfer money from your credit card to a savings account you've made a cash advance. You've recieved no cash in hand but the money is there for you to use at a later date. If you transfer money from a credit card to a betting agency again no cash has changed hands but the money is there for you to use at a later date. You've consumed no product and received no service. All you've done is given the betting agency the authority to hold the money in proxy for you to use at a later date.

Quote:
Oh deary me, why was I born into THIS world!!!

I'm concerned others may be getting the indication that it's ok to bet on credit. IT'S NOT!!! So I'll contribute no further.

All the best
Old 20th May 2007, 09:37 PM

People buy food on credit.
People buy petrol on credit.
People pay their mortgages from a credit card.
Pay for weddings
Pay for cars
Pay for holidays
Pay for computers

I see no difference in paying for gambling via credit card.
Whether you pay for the punt via cash, direct deposit, credit card, if you have a problem, no matter how you pay for it, you'll be in trouble.

Punting via credit card can be done for many reasons (partypooper knows one), including convenience and international wagering. Some sites, that is the only way you can get on.

The question is not how you fund it, the question is if you can handle it responsibly.
*RaceCensus now updated to 31/03/2024
Video overview of RaceCensus here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W821YP_b0Pg
Old 20th May 2007, 09:51 PM

If my bank trys that on i will go the the newsagent and buy $500 worth of lotto tickets with the CC card then take them to court for discrimination.
Old 20th May 2007, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydyboy

Chrome, glad you're with me mate, but I'm not going to spill the beans any further, I bet you smiled at the above eh? hee hee!

Crash, not too many times we see Exactly eye to eye but in this case, BRAIN power prevails........

One last ditch effort to give that 1 ton penny a shove,
I used my credit card 5 times today:

(1) I PURCHASED a betting package (tips) from a well known racing site, I receive , well actually NOTHING, (not having a go at any PARTICULAR racing site here)
What I mean is I'm only receiving information that may be good, it may be bad, or I might decide not to use it even though I've paid for it.

(2) I PURCHASE a racing book from a well known gambling site, (they promise to send it by express mail)

(3) I deposit $1000 to my Sportsbet account, they credit my account with $1000, (they receive $1000 cash from my bank less a % commission) but I may decide not to use it, and maybe withdraw the amount later, but if I do use it I may receive no cash whatsoever??

(4) I buy 10 slick picks from the local newsagent, and keep my fingers crossed (11,000,000 to 1, ouch)

(5) I buy a $2 sim card for my mobile + a $300 credit. (Vodafone)

Now, in all cases the 5 merchants here receive CASH from my Bank, I do not receive ANY cash, but...........

my bank (I mean literally) recieves a % commission from all 5 of those Merchants on my purchases, so they are already making money.

Now IF I choose to pay off the outstanding balance b4 the due date I will not pay the bank any interest, but theyve still made money. If I do not then they will also charge me interest.

IF YOURE WITH WESTPAC however,

(1) gambling site, youre hit with 1&1/2% fee instantly + interest at around 16% from day 1, even though the service proved to be a dud so I didn't use it????

(2) Gambling site, its a BLUUDDY book, but I get hit with 1&1/2% fee instantly + interest from day 1, what's more the book never arrives!!!!!

(3) Same 1&1/2% fee instantly + interest from day 1, even though I decide not to have a bet this year.

(4) Same 1&1/2% fee instantly + interest from day 1, even though the missus washed me jeans and the tickets were disintegrated, so not even a chance to win the Mil.

(5) the sim card went the same way as the lotto tickets, theres a $300 credit there but I can't use it, or I may have CHOOSEN not to use it anyway.

Vodofone still gets their cash and the bank still gets their % commission and I still have to pay my credit card off regardless.

Floydyboy, Angry, nothing personal mates but keep going as you are please!!

As a last word I quote Chrome:
The question is not how you fund it, the question is if you can handle it responsibly

BUT, there is more than one way to SKIN a rabbit!

PPS, Angry, WHO do you bank with?

Last edited by partypooper : 20th May 2007 at 11:28 PM. Reason: omission
Old 20th May 2007, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by partypooper
PPS, Angry, WHO do you bank with?

A few different places but I've never held an account with Westpac. Don't quite see the relevance of the question.

I'm sure there are many people who use credit responsibly, but there are also many that don't. It's just a rule for me not to use it for the punt.