Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Racing
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 11th September 2009, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2bet
...lots of my good mates are racehorses...
Hahaha thanks. That gave me a good laugh so early in the morning
Old 11th September 2009, 07:25 AM

I feel ,what we have here, is a classic battle between the Technocrats & the Workers.

The word on the street ,says, that the Jockeys blood boiled over , when it was suggested to them ,that they could be sued for their actions if they withdrew their services.

That would make anyone cranky.
Force workers to work ... what does that remind you of?

The Jockeys have an eclectic talent, I mean , you couldn't exactly call the army in to take over their duties , could you?

Lets see how many millions will be lost before it is resolved.
Its a 1.01 bet, that the money lost from that virus will be minuscule compared to what the losses of this will produce.
It could be billions.

The Technocrats have nothing to lose because its not their money, they have no vested interest in this industry , if it gets destroyed , no big deal to them , so this could go for some time.

It is said money talks, well lets see what it has to say at the end of the day & quickly.

Maybe a generous donation in the right direction may make it all go away.

Maybe an SOS to Bob Hawk & his negotiation talents is needed to sort this one out.

Cheers.
Old 11th September 2009, 08:19 AM

they couldnt just wait one more race so i could go large on kathy oharas ride on STAMPEDE.killen me!

its just crazy that they would make rules in the part of the race that is the most important- the finish.

horses repspond differently to the whip or how they are scrubbed. the people that make the rules think they are robots and you have 4 power coins and you must use those power coins wisely to get to the wire first.
Old 11th September 2009, 11:04 AM

Unhappy

The ARB's stand is not good for the industry. Punters will lose confidence in the product if the current rules stand as they are. The change put up by the Jockeys gives every horse a chance to win the race and not be subjected to "what ifs". There is no grey area unlike the current scenario.

I have benefited (Deer Valley) when the jockey has surpassed the current rule as well as lost (Typhoon Tracy) when the winning jockey also surpassed the current rule. How did I feel - both elated and let down!

I feel it is idiotic that, at the most important time in the Racing calendar, we are "trialing" this rule. This should have been done over the less important Summer months and then the results could have been discussed and (obvious) changes made before the Autumn racing began.

What is next on the ARB's agenda disqualification and relegation to last of horses/jockeys that "break" this rule?

This will be the time I give up the punt.
Old 11th September 2009, 11:30 AM

Send your thoughts direct to the ARB. This is their email addy : arb@australianracingboard.com.au

I have just sent mine which read..."
I would like to add my comments to the no doubt countless other letters you are receiving regarding this matter.

As the horse racing industry is the second largest industry in australia and this change is a major amendment, the largest I can ever recall, exactly what statistics/facts had a bearing to arrive at this decision.

It is my view that every owner/trainer/punter is entitled to his horse being given every possible chance to win the race.

These jockeys have to control massive beasts that are about 10 times their own body weight, make decisions in a split second, look after their own safety plus others around them. And now they have to count how many times they use their (padded) whip in the middle of all this,.......come on now...!!

I could not believe watching tv this morning and seeing a remark from your representative along the lines of ".....we have to cater for community standards..", or words to that effect....."

Old 11th September 2009, 01:55 PM
Suspended.

I've told them I'm not punting again until they remove the new whip laws.

If they get enough punters saying that, it might get their attention!
Old 11th September 2009, 07:32 PM
Suspended.

The whip rules will not work in the big races.

Look at last week in the MAKYBE DIVA STKS. To anyone who watched the replay, Oliver flogged Vigor to the line [bad luck if your money was on 2nd. place-getter Typhoon Tracy]. Big deal, a reprimand from the Stewards! Even for a fine, some jocks are going to ignore the new rules especially in big prize-money races. Pity the poor punter as it's hard enough already picking winners.

Can anyone imagine any jock with a winning chance worrying about the whip rules in the Cox plate or the Melb. Cup? :-)
Old 11th September 2009, 08:18 PM

Problem solved remove all whips from races no complaints about over whipping a horse and no worries about a fine.
Old 11th September 2009, 10:03 PM

well my 2 cents worth, I was about to add my support for the Jocks, in light of such an unbelievablely STUPID rule, Oh my God!

Remember though the first people to benefit from a Jockeystrike is the "Punter" as collectivly we are millions better off!

Unfortunately there's a lot of losers in the industry my heart bleeds for the "TAB" and all those poor Bookies, owners and Trainers out there, but genuinely for all the employees that will be affected sooner or later if it continues... not to mention the spin off affect, media employees etc etc.

The LAST people to suffer will be the hangers on, those in all the jobs for the boys hovering on the outskirts of the racing industry, lets just say the hierarcy and their drongos' THEIR pay will not be affected at all untill it's very , very serious, ........ Jocks you would need to be in for a long long fight, (they've seen to that)

BUT, as a quick solution, Shauns suggestion is not so DAFT, i.e. the genuine nags that don't need whipping will rise to the surface, the lazy (equine) and their offspring will fade away, the natural Jock that can get the best out of a horse without flogging it will prevail, and the other bloke who can only prevail at the expense of the horses hide will slide into oblivion!!

So Shaun, yes you have my vote!

No profanities please. Moderator.

Last edited by Moderator 3 : 12th September 2009 at 09:45 AM.
Old 12th September 2009, 07:05 AM

"One jockey in western Victoria said: ''I hope they're not looking at picking on Monday and Tuesday meetings so we lose our bread and butter and suffer the financial consequences while the big-earning jockeys sit back and wait for the Saturdays and take no financial" (SMH 12th Sept.)

Solidarity comrades ??????

The establishment will pee this one in..........