Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Racing
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 9th October 2006, 10:59 PM

simshmick, good on ya for a good start, just a word of advice (based on personal experience) better to only gloat about winners posted BEFORE the race, or you will really take some STIX, hee hee! no "pun" intended, that's just the nature of this site, you don't need to worry about the price reducing to $1.60c or so the win, very, very few will actually back it, unless you're a ************ wonder tipper! good luck!
Old 9th October 2006, 11:30 PM

Hi

I have to agree with party on this .

Think of it this way i had 50 on TERANABA on the nose. How do you react to that statement first thing you would probably say to yourself is yeah right easy telling everyone after the race.

Cheers
ubetido
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body,but rather to skid in sideways, BEER in one hand- PIZZA in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO!
Old 9th October 2006, 11:59 PM

Hey Guys,

I expected this response, I wasn't going to post my win but seeing as i had already posted my long term plan thought i should include each week. I couldn't get near a computer as i had been travelling (travell 200ks each way each week for work).

i really have no reason to make up my pick after the event. but will always try to post my bets before the races obviously,was almost going to give the week a miss but had to have a crack when i saw cheeky choice going out to 5+.

Simon
Old 10th October 2006, 12:01 AM

and don't get me started on teranaba. another guy at the Tab with us had $5 on the nose, would have loved a piece of that!
Old 10th October 2006, 12:59 AM

Hi Simshmick

No problems would you have posted had it lost? I can understand that on raceday many things change and what is deemed a bet can become a non bet and vice a versa.

These guys on the forum are a great lot and very knowledgeable in their own right so i am sure that wish you well.

Cheers
ubetido
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body,but rather to skid in sideways, BEER in one hand- PIZZA in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO!
Old 10th October 2006, 05:34 AM
Suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
It's fine to have a goal.

But unfortunately there is a world of difference between having a goal and achieving it.....

.....You must know at what odds you should back each horse and at what odds you should not back a horse. This can vary from horse to horse. It is just too simplistic to eliminate all bets under say $3.00 or $4.00 or whatever.

I note this forum is full of selection methods and elimination rules but very sparse on ideas of how to know when a selection should or should not be a bet based on its odds.

Because that is the ultimate skill ... being able to handicap is the key to winning long term ...

PS ... I'm not sure on what basis you could have been very confident about Racing To Win winning the Group 1 George Main Stakes. The gelding was jumping up in distance from 1300 metres to 1600 metres. Sure, it had won the Doncaster Handicap over 1600 metres, but its previous start was over 1500 metres, not 1300 metres. In its career it had never gone up in distance more than 200 metres from its previous start. In addition, Court's In Session beat Racing To Win when they met on the 26th. August. I thought the race was a bit of a trap race, and odds on Racing To Win didn't look like value to me. Left the race alone.

My 2 bob's worth is with Neil on this one.

Even though RTW won, it was a shocking bet.
'Any price a winner' is the quickest way to the poor house. There can be winning bets that were bad bets and losing bets that were good bets.

Good handicapping and recognizing poor value are the 2 main foundation stones to building punting success. I believe RTW as a bet selection, was a standout example of the worst of both these foundation requirements.
Old 10th October 2006, 05:45 AM
Suspended.

[QUOTE=simshmick]Hi all,

many may think i this is a bad idea but i going to embark on an expirment/project. I want to raise 10 thousand dollars. at the moment the idea is to buy a motorbike.....

Wish me luck! hopefully i'll be riding soon! QUOTE]

Being a bit of a bikie myself [I've got a MG Californian 1100] I was wondering what sort of bike your [hoping] to buy mate?
Old 10th October 2006, 07:02 AM

Smile

Im looking at getting a 100 scooter. Yeh I know im a bit of a dare devil. But hey there cheap to run and heaps of fun. There you go even put a rythme in there for everyone. Cheers bm
Old 10th October 2006, 08:46 AM
go4it

totally agree with neil & crash in all they pointed out to you.
One other VERY IMPORTANT factor is money management
i.e how you bet your selections.
Without a good staking method you aint' going to get that bike for a long time!
Old 10th October 2006, 10:30 AM

Hey all,

thanks for the replies, and suggestions. Thats one thing i really enjoy about this place, learning and hearing views from experienced punters. I guess there only one way to learn and in this game it can cost you money. I forsee this thread/project becoming not only an attempt at reaching a goal but hopefully a path to becoming a better punter.

all wins/losses will be posted with a bank update, i have no qualms posting a loss.