Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > General Topics
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 27th October 2009, 08:04 AM

Default Windows 7

I'm still using Windows XP. I never dared get Vista after all the issues that were being reported. However I could be tempted to get Windows 7 if it works well and is an improvement over Windows XP. So I'm wondering if anyone here has got Windows 7 and how you find it.
Old 27th October 2009, 11:02 AM

Yes have been using windows ultimate for a week or so and works great, if you have never used vista it is a bit hard to get used to but that will pass.

So far it works with most things but if you have a particular program you want me to test it with let me know.

I use google chrome for web browser and it is nice and fast, i would also say this must have been the fastest OS that i have ever installed.
Old 27th October 2009, 10:43 PM

Thumbs up

Marcus

You'll find Win7 runs very well on lower end hardware. If the machine runs XP ok, it'll run Win7 just as well. The OS has a smaller footprint than Vista (around 10GB-12GB for Win7 Enterprise), and we've not seen any of the same driver issues that Vista exhibited. There are some nice features such as XP mode (not in all Win7 versions), which allows you to run a WinXP virtual machine in the background, and have the apps installed on that virtual machine appear to be running on the Win7 desktop. This is great for older apps that may not work on 7, but you'll need a machine with either AMD-V or Inter VT-x. We've not seen an app we couldn't run under 7 yet at any rate. Bundling Media Centre in all versions is a nice touch too. Additionally Win7 knows what to do with solid state drives and will turn off incompatible features such as indexing and disk defragmentation, both of which are the enemies of SSD's.

All the best
Old 2nd November 2009, 06:52 AM
Suspended.

Cool

Well after all the time Microsoft has had to [finally] sort out the software, driver problems and remove some of the bloatware in Vista, they have just re-released it and called it 'Windows 7'.

XP works really well so why spend the money on a new OS for a bit of extra desktop eye-candy when you boot up your PC? I'll change from XP when it's no longer supported and W7 is a heck of a lot cheaper!
Old 2nd November 2009, 11:42 AM

I would normally say the same but Windows 7 runs very nice on my laptop and i would say better than xp does at this point but every one has to make there own choices.
Old 4th November 2009, 09:15 AM
Suspended.

Thumbs up

Get the best from W7 [or XP] here:

http://www.blackviper.com/Articles/OS/OSguides.htm

"•Windows 7 Super Tweaks
◦Tighten up the Operating System, plug some security holes and make your system perform like new again. A listing of performance tweaks that I do after a clean installation, but most are valid even after years of service". BViper
Old 4th November 2009, 12:40 PM

Thanks for that, Crash. Looks like some interesting and informative reading coming up....
Old 4th November 2009, 05:38 PM
Suspended.

It's also worth looking at how he sets up his Outlook Express without spam software. No spam or other unwanted mail gets through!

I have been using BVipers site since 2003 to set up my OS and mail handling everytime I do a reinstall. Great stuff.