Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Racing
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 18th June 2002, 01:07 PM

This site looks interesting.

Does anyone know whether horses perform better if they have 1 week b/t runs, 2 weeks, 3 weeks, or 4 weeks?

Tipsters always talk about horses backing up, but they seem to fail as much as they win. I would have thought that 2 weeks rest provides more recoverly time.
Old 18th June 2002, 02:47 PM

Depends on the race distance. Stayers can appreciate 7 day back-ups or even 3 days (ala Melb Cup). However a lot sprinters need to be kept fresh.

I don't have any stats on this, other than a lot of winners are in the 7-21 days bracket.
Old 18th June 2002, 03:19 PM

Each horse is special when it comes to this phenomenon. Some horses race better with short breaks, others longer. Chief is also right with distance horses vs. sprinters. But there are exceptions which defy logic.
I would suggest going back over a horses previous campaigns and looking at when it performs best.

You can get each horse's FULL form at http://www.ozeform.com under the free members area and "Horse Query".
Old 18th June 2002, 07:35 PM

What I was interested in was which horses win more out of:

1. Horses on a 7 day back-up
2. Horses who've had 14 days between runs
3. Horses that have had 21 days between runs.
4. Horses that have had 4 weeks or more between runs.

Old 18th June 2002, 09:13 PM

Roadrunner, I don't have any reliable stats on this, however, when looking at form for races...the shorter the time between runs, the more reliable the data.

I.E. If a horse won a race seven days ago and the trainer is prepared to start it again in a similar race, his last win is a consistent guide.

If his start was three weeks ago, I would be wary of the winning form holding up for such a long period of time. I would look at that ozeform site to see if the horse has run any trials since the win so you can be sure it is fit.
Trial times are to be treated as a guide only as they are not raceform. If the horse won the trial easily, I would say it is fit enough not to have trained off though. Trial form is more of an indication of the sprinters.