Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Sports and Gambling
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 28th October 2005, 09:44 PM

Moeee,
A couple of practical ideas that I have found useful.
1. If you're in a vicious circle of depression, betting, losing, more depression then you need to break the circuit. In my case, as a youngster, I was spending a lot of time at the TAB (they had only just started up) and I got a job where I couldn't even get radio reception let alone put a bet on. Drastic but it broke the circuit.
2. Keep a record of all your bets, losses and winnings. It's really easy if you are betting through an Internet account. I use a spreadsheet to keep a record.
Most punters will tell you they are up or square over a period of years - most punters lie because they don't know, and if they did, they would not bet as much. When I started adding up all the bits & pieces $10 here, $20 there, I was amazed not only at the amount I had lost but the silly bets I put on. I bet smarter now.
3. Finally, put your bets on early and walk away - go do something useful. Come back and check when the tracks are shut. Sitting in front of a live broadcast with your Net account open is like a glutton sitting in the pantry. Don't make it hard for yourself.
Cheers.
Old 28th October 2005, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Lover
Moeee,
A couple of practical ideas that I have found useful.
1. If you're in a vicious circle of depression, betting, losing, more depression then you need to break the circuit. In my case, as a youngster, I was spending a lot of time at the TAB (they had only just started up) and I got a job where I couldn't even get radio reception let alone put a bet on. Drastic but it broke the circuit.
2. Keep a record of all your bets, losses and winnings. It's really easy if you are betting through an Internet account. I use a spreadsheet to keep a record.
Most punters will tell you they are up or square over a period of years - most punters lie because they don't know, and if they did, they would not bet as much. When I started adding up all the bits & pieces $10 here, $20 there, I was amazed not only at the amount I had lost but the silly bets I put on. I bet smarter now.
3. Finally, put your bets on early and walk away - go do something useful. Come back and check when the tracks are shut. Sitting in front of a live broadcast with your Net account open is like a glutton sitting in the pantry. Don't make it hard for yourself.
Cheers.

This post sounds a lot like me 6 months ago. Visiting the tab everyday not having a clue how much how i have won or lost usually the latter lol and chassing losses.

Finally i put pen to paper and figured out what my problem was and why i was losing. In the end it came down to what i belive as sensory overload ie. 15 tvs with odds, sky and tvn tv's, other people, noise from the bar obviously in a pubtab and interruptions from other people.

I then thought of ways around these problems. First off i decided to have a month off the punt and save to have an actuall bank and not just spending whatever was in the wallet. Easy!! After one month there was $1000 straight into a ias account, that killed two birds with one stone as now i have betting records and i actually know what i have in the bank.

I discountinued visiting the tab and will only usually have a $3 tri for some fun if im down at the pub with mates having drinks. Or unless a blackbooker pops up i might jump on. Many losses have happend on a drinking session so thats been banned. lol.

I can now sit in the comfort off my own home with NO distractions,i can have form spread out everywhere, have the net running with access to even more form and info and sky/tvn on the tv. I have found this to be a hell of a lot more succesfull and i hope this might help someone.