Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > General Topics
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 4th April 2009, 02:45 AM

Default massive usage

OK, so I appreciate that some of the "EXPERTS" here are very busy so I appeal to anyone who has the time to help.

My problem is that I am using a plug in type Broadband but it's chewing up like 4 MB PER MINUTE (started about a week ago)

I have auto updates turned OFF

I've done a Hijack report thing but I can't see anything that shouldn't be there but I really wouldn't know anyway!

So any ideas greatly appreciated.
Old 4th April 2009, 06:36 AM

If it were me I'd call the service provider. They should be able to help, and with a bit of luck you'll get one that speaks "good" english lol
Old 5th April 2009, 12:22 PM

thanks mike, nah tried that ......no help
Old 5th April 2009, 07:14 PM

1. Have you updated and run Spyware Doctor for infections?

2. You appear to have reminants of Norton's Antivirus, delete the entire Symantec folder.

3. Download Noadware, update it and scan for malware, if it finds anything other than cookies, email me and I'll supply you with an activation number to remove the threats.

4. Download Malwarebytes Antimalware, update it and perform a deep scan for infections.

5. Run Hijack this and tick only the boxes that have (file missing), or (no name) or (no file) at the start or end of the entry.
Delete these references.

Did you try an unsuccessful Service Pack upgrade?
It appears that some Service Pack entries are there but some didn't install correctly.
Apologies for not getting back to you sooner, I've been unwell.....again.
*RaceCensus now updated to 29/02/2024
Video overview of RaceCensus here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W821YP_b0Pg

Last edited by Chrome Prince : 5th April 2009 at 07:18 PM.
Old 6th April 2009, 06:28 AM
Suspended.

Party,

Removing Nortons is not so easy. Even if you can remove the Nortons folder parts of Nortons will still be on your PC. Nortons has a removal tool but even this will not remove all of this bloatware!

To completely remove Nortons go to: http://www.askdavetaylor.com/how_to...on_from_pc.html

Many steps involved but they are simple to follow. I'm using the free Online Armor firewall [best I've ever used] now and it works very well with the free AVG anti-virus. Both programs are install and forget. No tweaking involved.

Also, be VERY careful about what you remove using Hijack This. You best bet is to visit the Spyware Warrior forum and post your problem and a recent Hijack This log in the section: "HijackThis Logs- Help with spyware removal" http://www.spywarewarrior.com/index.php

Good luck!

Last edited by crash : 6th April 2009 at 06:41 AM.
Old 6th April 2009, 07:34 AM
Suspended

Sorry I can't help, but any information is better than no information.

I had that sort of thing once.
And it worried me because I only can have about 30 Meg per day rations or I get slugged a hefty bill for excess usage.

I got by for a few days by getting my page I needed, then going Offline, read or do what I had to do, then go back Online.
Then go the Page or whatever I had to do, then go Offline.
Lot of mucking around.

It turned out that some website was causing me to upload Megabytes of data.
I got rid of the problem maybe by doing a system restore, but more likely by playing around with the registry.

Have a go at running msconfig and see if there is anything in your startup Folder what could be a problem.
Hijack this can often find the problem too.

Google searches give good results if you can actually insert the correct keywords to use.
But Googling is gonna eat up your Megabytes while your virus is still alive.

I've had so much bullaaaa over the years, and I managed to get rid of them, but my memory is terrible and I can't recall any repairs and if I get caught again, I'll be no better off than I was when I got caught the first time.

Good Luck with it.

You could always get another cheap Computer and use it until you get the information to repair your faulty one.
That is what I do now.
Have a spare Computer for times like these.
Old 6th April 2009, 11:46 AM

Crash,

I've seen his HijackThis log.
*RaceCensus now updated to 29/02/2024
Video overview of RaceCensus here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W821YP_b0Pg
Old 6th April 2009, 12:54 PM

Thanks heaps Men, thats given me something to get my teeth into. Chrome one has to be very humble when asking for a freebie, especially when its *your* bread and butter job, Sso any help (if) any is greatly appreciated.

Crash I'll try all of the above,Moeee, thats what got me completely bamboozled, as its a plug in type, I used my lap top instead, but it behaves in exactly the same way, daft question but is it possible for the usb thing to be compromised in some way?
Old 6th April 2009, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome Prince
1. Have you updated and run Spyware Doctor for infections?

2. You appear to have reminants of Norton's Antivirus, delete the entire Symantec folder.

3. Download Noadware, update it and scan for malware, if it finds anything other than cookies, email me and I'll supply you with an activation number to remove the threats.

4. Download Malwarebytes Antimalware, update it and perform a deep scan for infections.

5. Run Hijack this and tick only the boxes that have (file missing), or (no name) or (no file) at the start or end of the entry.
Delete these references.

Did you try an unsuccessful Service Pack upgrade?
It appears that some Service Pack entries are there but some didn't install correctly.
Apologies for not getting back to you sooner, I've been unwell.....again.

1&2 done,

3 done, only 3 cookies picked, rated no great threat

4 done

5 done that

Re Service Pack, I got a pop up from MS you know the usual updates available, bla bla so went for it then it came back with what I told you about Office?? but it was after that the problem became obvious(may be just co-incidence)

Also as a separate issue, I still had Norton on my laptop so updated and ran that, also didn't pick anything up??
Old 6th April 2009, 09:55 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by partypooper
Moeee, thats what got me completely bamboozled, as its a plug in type, I used my lap top instead, but it behaves in exactly the same way, daft question but is it possible for the usb thing to be compromised in some way?

Whats the usb thingo?
Is it a wireless Internet Modem.
How do you know you are losing 4 Megabytes per minute?

I have a 3 wireless modem and they have a thing called dashboard and it has a display called VOLUME and it usually says I am going through a lot of Megabytes, but after speaking with the 3 people, I eventually got someone who said to ignore it.

So do you have a wireless Internet and only had it a week or 2?

I have on the bottom row on the right of my monitor an Icon of 2 little screens
If I right ckick on them and open, I can then see hoe much I am using and have used this Internet session.