Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > General Topics
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 16th May 2011, 08:44 AM

Smile Downloading form from Racing and Sports Website?

Racing and sports data:
I use the racing and sports data - but only on an observational basis.

Does anyone have or know of a way to download their form into excel or some other program. It seems quite useful with the Don Scott and other ratings etc.

thanks

Aussie.
Old 17th May 2011, 05:47 PM

Using a scripting language like Ruby, Perl or (my favourite) Python, the data from just about any site can be extracted. URLs can be constructed by the script to download today's pages. This data can then be stored in a database.

Some sites are harder to do than others, but it's really not rocket science if you know what you are doing. Only problem is sites that change their layout will most likely break the script, and it will need fixing.

If you google rent a coder or similar you'll find a plethora of sites where freelance coders will quote you a price for the job. They would almost certainly do it cheaper than I could
Old 17th May 2011, 05:55 PM

thanks jazzy,
i will see what i can do.

cheers

aussie
Old 20th May 2011, 03:54 PM

'Cause I'm such a nice guy , here's a quick and dirty Python script I wrote a while ago for a mate of mine... Dunno if he still uses it...

It gets all the worksheets for the day and writes the favourites to a spreadsheet. Note, it is a quick and dirty script, there is no error checking, and if it has a problem with something it raises an exception and closes (default Python behaviour)

If you want to try it out you will need to install Python - get it from http://www.python.org - get 2.7 not 3.x - it is not compatible and pywin32 (for the excel stuff) from http://sourceforge.net/projects/pyw...win32/Build216/ - select the right version to match the version of Python you've got.

Anyway, it shows what can be done.
Attached Files
File Type: zip get_rands.zip (1.9 KB, 1215 views)
Old 21st May 2011, 10:17 AM

Smile

thanks jazzy,
i will have a lash and see what i can up with,
cheers

aussie
Old 26th March 2012, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy
'Cause I'm such a nice guy , here's a quick and dirty Python script I wrote a while ago for a mate of mine... Dunno if he still uses it...

It gets all the worksheets for the day and writes the favourites to a spreadsheet. Note, it is a quick and dirty script, there is no error checking, and if it has a problem with something it raises an exception and closes (default Python behaviour)

If you want to try it out you will need to install Python - get it from http://www.python.org - get 2.7 not 3.x - it is not compatible and pywin32 (for the excel stuff) from http://sourceforge.net/projects/pyw...win32/Build216/ - select the right version to match the version of Python you've got.

Anyway, it shows what can be done.

Does anyone know if this get_rands script from jazzy still works or am I not using python properly?
Old 27th March 2012, 05:34 PM

No idea.

I have posted downloads of the data at the end of each month. They are good for research if that is your aim. If you want quick research I have my website which allows you to test certain things from there pages.

If you want a certain system that can't be tested due to the implicity of the site let me know and I will tell you if I can run it manually for you against my database.