Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Racing
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 23rd March 2009, 09:12 PM

Default And The Best Price is?

Hi Guys,
Over the years I've seen advocates for the various different betting agencies having their two bobs worth and I'm wondering if anyone has stats that could solve my dilemma. I've had a S-Tab a/c for years and a Betfair a/c for a few months. I only back short priced horses, usually favs or 2nd favs and to be honest I've been disappointed with the prices offered by Betfair at that end of the market, especially considering their whack still has to come out.
The rare advantageous price hardly warrants keeping the a/c open so I'm considering cutting and running and consolidating. But where? There are plenty of tempting offers about at the moment but I'm not sure what they all mean. I can understand Best of Tote but Top Fluc? That sounds straightforward but not so.For example, I saw best fluc shown on a website as being less than the opening price. That doesn't seem logical to me.
So, my question is, does anyone know definitively if one method of betting is better in the long term than the others for short price horses, whether it be straight win with a bookie, Top Fluc, Best on Tote or something else? Or is it all a matter of swings and roundabouts? Should I just keep my Tab a/c and throw my hands in the air?
All advice and suggestions gratefully received.
Old 24th March 2009, 01:06 AM

g'day foxwood...i'll leave it to this forums gurus to provide more exact advice..but i would suggest the old tab a/c to be the least best option...
Old 24th March 2009, 08:43 AM
Suspended.

If you can make a profit using the TAB it's a good account to keep because your winning make no difference to their profit margin and it's a simple account to use for most punters, especially those who are not betting big bucks [most of us].

Getting the best out of Betfair or bookies requires a lot of skill.

Last edited by crash : 24th March 2009 at 08:49 AM.
Old 24th March 2009, 09:04 AM
Suspended. Invalid e-mail address.

Old 24th March 2009, 10:36 AM

Hi Foxwood,

What crash says is correct in some cases it all depends how you bet what you bet on and how much you bet.

You say you bet mostly favs, i have found betfair can be up and down in this area once you get past the 2nd fav most time the price is much better than what you will get with the bookies are Tabs, the one thing i have found with betfair is if you are using thier webpage to place your bets you may find it hard to get the price you want if it is close to race time as the prices move faster than the page refreshes, you may need a third party program to place your bets you can find info on them by searching the forum.

If you are planning on betting on horses lower than $4 i would go best fluc with bookies or if you are a little unsure split your bet in half and take best tote and best fluc.
Then we come to the question of what bookie to use as they all offer different products, you will need to compare what they offer for weekend and mid week racing, personally i use sportsbet on week ends as they offer best of 3 totes or SP with the one bet.

If you get to the point that the bookies no longer want your business then best option is to open 3 TAB accounts and divide your stake between them to get an average price.
Old 24th March 2009, 08:06 PM

Thumbs up Thanks

Thank you one and all for the advice. I will keep my Tab a/c for the time being but I will keep a close eye on the Sportsbet website for a weekend or two before committing myself.
Good luck to you all.