Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > General Topics
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 3rd August 2011, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by partypooper
[QUOTE=AngryPixie]
Lap Top Toshiba C660/01M 15.6" screen

i3-380m Processor
4GB RAM
640GB hard drive
512 MB Graphics
CD/DVD Burner Drive
Windows 7 Home Edition

Just a starting point so any comments welcome.
How much are HN selling the Toshiba c660 laptop for? Using that staticice.com.au website, I found a place you can get it delivered to WA for $665.20, so if you were hooked on that model, then try to get HN to match that price.

The Toshiba c660 comes up a little short when compared to the Lenovo z560 which I mentioned before. The Lenovo z560 has a better processor and graphics card, which may help to future-proof it a little bit, but it does have a smaller hard drive (500GB vs 640GB), but realistically the average person will struggle to ever fill up that much space. Allowing for shipping, the Lenovo z560 will probably cost about $30 less than the Toshiba c660.
Old 3rd August 2011, 10:16 PM

SILVER, FORGOT BUT AROUND THERE$

Shaun. Greenmount mate, not too far from you, well comparatively speaking that is.

But my Daughter is in Palmyra
Old 3rd August 2011, 11:39 PM

Ok. I think the minimum you need in a laptop nowadays is an i3 processor and 4GB ram. Having these two specs will somewhat future-proof your notebook for a few years. Given that as a starting point, I've had a bit of a look around to see what would be the cheapest ... I mean the most cost-effective option available.

Here's the best value 4GB laptop with an i3 processor I could find:
Lenovo G560-06798HM
CPU: Intel Core i3 370 2.4GHz
RAM: 4GB DDR3
HDD: 500GB SATA
Graphics: Intel GMA 4500
Integrated VGA Screen: 15.6” LED Monitor (1366x768)
* 1yr Warranty * WiFi 11N * Card Reader
* 2.7kg * 6 Cell Battery * HDMI * Webcam * eSata

Price is $449, but there's a $50 cashback offer. Plus you can buy it through MSY, which has stores in Cannington and Balcatta, so you won't have to pay a shipping charge. So, all up it's just $399.00. It sounds like a pretty good bargain. Here's the MSY website, and here's the brochure listing their laptop deals (scroll down to page 4, and look for the $399 tag on the right hand side).

Don't know if you've ever been to an MSY store before, but here in Victoria they're an extremely basic, no-frills kind of store, so while you shouldn't expect great service, you can expect a great price.
Old 4th August 2011, 12:05 AM

Here's the MSY Balcatta and Cannington store locations if you're interested in checking them out. Like I said, don't expect to be dazzled by a fancy showroom, but you will find lots of bargains there.
Old 4th August 2011, 12:17 AM

These are the 2 cheapest places in Perth for PC gear and they won't sell you rubbish.

http://www.austin.net.au/

http://www.ple.com.au/
Old 4th August 2011, 12:15 PM

Many thanks Angry, Silver & Shaun 'n'all, I'm sure I'll get something suitable out of those leads, I'll let you know what I get.

Now, for something else, as I said I had several machines playing up so just thought I'd have a go and re-load the disk,...... first with the lap top, presto worked a treat, all my old stuff still there but I can also get on the net now etc. so success.

So then I thought I'd try it on the desktop. copied what I needed to a Flash Voyager USB and re-loaded the disk following the prompts exactly the same, it kinda worked; but has wiped everything and I sarted again with a clean comp, loaded the Broadband USB and it works ok (using it now) loaded Works (as most of my files are Works) but when I plugged in the Voyager all the files are shown as corrupted and can't open??

Got a yell of a shock as there is YEARS of research, so plugged into the Lap Top and breathed a sigh of relief as most of the files are accessable (but not all) does any of that make sense?

The ones that are not accessable come up with that prompt asking what programme created it etc etc

Oh yes and also the desktop er how do I explain .....too big for the screen I suppose you'd say I've clicked everything from herte to there but can't seem to change the setting?