Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > General Topics
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 7th April 2014, 11:14 AM

Default TAB now banning successful Punters/Fixed Odds Bettors?

A recent article from Fair Wagering:

TABCORP AND THE ‘GENUINE (COMMERCIALLY VIABLE) CUSTOMER’

PDF http://fairwageringaustralia.files....exp-feb2015.pdf

Fair Wagering has been handed an extraordinary document that lifts the lid on Australia’s biggest wagering operator’s attempts to severely restrict winning punters at TAB retail outlets.

It looks as though Tabcorp recently sent the document out to agents on its 2600-strong retail network across New South Wales and Victoria. The missive appears to be an attempt to placate agents in at least 100 TAB’s who have reported plunging commissions as a result of restrictions placed on the size of all bets, even if just one punter is winning.

Tabcorp referred to “expanded risk management” in their fixed odds division at a recent mid-year presentation – we now know what it means for punters, and it ain’t pretty.

Tabcorp have officially joined the scourge that has become rife within the Australian corporate bookmaking community.

They are no longer bookies and are simply accountants who wish to manage money (bets) from mug punters.

Because all punters are “mugs” and have trouble with even basic English, we at FWA have paraphrased some of the key points in Tabcorp’s “Fixed Odds Liability Q&A” to help you to better understand corporate language.

If you want to read it for yourself, here it is. Otherwise, allow us.

From Tabcorp document, "Fixed Odds Liability Q & A"
From Tabcorp document, “Fixed Odds Liability Q&A”

i.e. We drove all winning punters off our website by rejecting any bets that didn’t suit us. Don’t get too excited if they roll up to your agency ready to bet big, turnover lots and help your business.

As soon as one of our bookmakers (accountants) get a whiff that a winning punter is betting in a TAB agency, we’ll flick a switch and shut the agency down. No 10 second reset or phone call will help.

i.e. If we have to manage all 2600, we will. The winning punters that we are trying to get rid of have thankfully only made it to 100 agencies so far.

i.e. VERY IMPORTANT POINT. Only losers are “genuine customers”. We don’t want winning punters getting in the way of our profits. If you spot a winning punter (non-genuine customer) in your agency, stay calm; alert us, we’re here to help.

From Tabcorp document, "Fixed Odds Liability Q&A"

i.e. If it’s 6pm on a Friday night and there are only two punters in your agency having $1 mystery trifectas and a winning punter (non-genuine customer) walks in wishing to bet big and hard with your turnover incentivised agency, DO NOT BET THEM. We at headquarters make a gross profit of $10 million a week off fixed odds bets. That’s not enough, we want more!

Don’t worry about your own little business, that’ll sort itself out in the long term, sorta, kinda??!!

———-

We are informed that the NSW Office of Liquor, Gaming and Racing are looking into Tabcorp’s new fixed odds management procedures. We’ll forward this onto them.

Tabcorp, through tab.com.au, retail outlets, Luxbet and Sky Racing are the undisputed driver of the racing industry. They need to, and are entitled to be profitable. But who is betting to lose? We all need to at least know that one day maybe we can be winners. If this new style of management becomes the norm, we will all only ever be losers. Tabcorp can take us for granted at its own peril.

Perhaps there should be a warning whenever you enter a TAB outlet in New South Wales or Victoria – ‘WARNING: GENUINE CUSTOMERS ONLY. BETTING TO WIN WILL NOT BE TOLERATED.

Source: http://fairwageringaustralia.com/tag/banned-punters/

Will keep this updated with any information I receive.
Old 7th April 2014, 11:51 AM

Default Fixed odds revenue at @tabcomau up 38% assisted by risk management

Old 7th April 2014, 11:54 AM
Banned

Simply utterly insane.

& where the hell is the ACCC in all this??
Old 7th April 2014, 02:44 PM

Flabergasting!

― Earl Nightingale
Old 7th April 2014, 03:13 PM

Anyone been affected or heard of others that have? I thought the TAB were one of the good guys.
Old 7th April 2014, 06:07 PM

TABCORP is a business. If they are to compete with others in the punting realm then they have to use the same tactics or find themselves losing money.

The only way it will stop is by government intervention.

I don't bet anywhere but betfair now. And who knows that could be gone to Aussies soon as well (Don't say it can't happen, just look at Greece).
Old 7th April 2014, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat123
Anyone been affected or heard of others that have? I thought the TAB were one of the good guys.

Yep- walked into a tab in Sydney's south the week of round 3 in the NRL , so a fortnight ago. Try to place a bet of $3000 on an NRL team. The lady says I'm sorry you can only have $50 on that, I said I beg your pardon, she says yep orders from above. I said so - $50 max bet? Yep she says , ok I will write another 59 tickets out for the same bet to get the same result, is that ok? She says yeah sort of I think so- yes do it that way.
Had a mate I bet with on the same sport, ring up to place 2k on the same game on our account and the operator says no. He says what do u mean no? No I said it's too much, he then gave her a mouth full saying it was our money and we could do what the hell we wanted with it, she gave in and placed the bet.
Old 7th April 2014, 07:32 PM

As I may have said before, whether or not you are a losing large punter, anything over $50 flags you as a professional and not a recreational punter.
They want recreational punters only, as they believe they are all mugs.

They are costing themselves millions by this nonsensical limit.
I know many large punters who have lost "professional" amounts ever year.
And I'll take 1.01 odds that this will be their defence.
Responsible gambling et al.
*RaceCensus now updated to 31/03/2024
Video overview of RaceCensus here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W821YP_b0Pg
Old 7th April 2014, 10:40 PM

Seems there's only a couple of good bookies left now.
Old 7th April 2014, 10:44 PM

I was banned by Luxbet ages ago.
I'd like to know who these alleged "good bookies" are.