Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Racing
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 7th September 2002, 05:39 PM

Congratulations Horse Cents you're off to Disneyland.
Roan is usually grey with chestnut giving a caramel sort of colour.
I wonder if we will ever see a Roan Rig?
About 1 trillion to one I'd reckon.
Old 7th September 2002, 06:04 PM

Well then, what do you call an Albino Rig?
(not white or grey but actually albino which is NO colour - lacks pigment of the skin and eyes).

Probably useless!

:lol:

Old 7th September 2002, 07:13 PM

G-ROAN. Hey, Hammers - where does a palomino fit in. Golden coat with a white tail - Just like Roy Roger's nag!
Questions:
Q: How do you make a racehore go?
A: Hit it with a whip.
Q: How do you make a racehorse stop?
A: Have a dollar each way on it.
Old 7th September 2002, 07:20 PM

PS. More interesting stuff.
The last word - from "The Horse - colour and pattern" - Copyright © 1994-2001 Encyclopędia Britannica, Inc.

"From the dun of the primitive horse has sprung a variety of colours and patterns, some highly variable and difficult to distinguish. Among the most important colours are black, bay, chestnut (and sorrel), palomino, cream, and white.
The black colour is a true black, although a white face marking (blaze) and white ankles (stockings) may occur. The brown horse is almost black but has lighter areas around the muzzle, eyes, and legs. Bay refers to several shades of brown, from red brown and tan to sandy. Bay horses have a black mane, tail, and (usually) stockings (see photograph
photograph: Morgan stallion with bay coat.). Chestnut is similar to bay but with none of the bay's black overtones (see photograph photograph: Arabian gelding with chestnut coat.). Lighter shades of chestnut are called sorrel. The palomino horse runs from cream to bronze, with a flaxen or silvery mane and tail (see photograph photograph: Paso Fino gelding with palomino coat.). The cream is a diluted sorrel, or very pale yellow, nearly white. White in horses is variable, ranging from aging grays (see below) to albinos with blue eyes and pink skin and to pseudoalbinos with a buff mane or with brown eyes. The chief patterns of the white horse are gray, roan, pinto, and appaloosa. Gray horses are born dark brown or black and develop white hairs as they age, becoming almost all white in advanced years. Roan refers to white mixed with other colours at birth: blue roan is white mixed with black; red roan is mixed white and bay; and strawberry roan is white and chestnut. The pinto is almost any spotted pattern of white and another colour; other names, such as paint, calico, piebald, skewbald, overo, and tobiano, refer to subtle distinctions in type of colour or pattern. Appaloosa is another extremely variable pattern, but the term generally refers to a large white patch over the hips and loin, with scattered irregular dark spots (see photograph photograph: Appaloosa mare with bay colouring.)".
Old 8th September 2002, 09:41 AM

Rain Lover,
I think the colours other than the 6 I mentioned would not apply to thoroughbreds. EG a thoroughbred cannot be palomino. Albino may be a valid inclusion but I don't think I've ever heard of one. You'd want to back them at the night meetings though, I don't think albinos are real keen on sunshine. ( maybe they'd do ok in Melbourne!!! ).

Le Zagaletta has to be the closest thing I've seen to a white racehorse.

Old 10th September 2002, 10:04 PM

And a damn close run in the Craiglee. Had me and Northerly sweating for a while!!
Old 10th September 2002, 10:39 PM

So what's a "paint"? Just a common term for an all-sorts? Its not an official category of any sort of horse, is it?

Hermes
Old 11th September 2002, 07:12 PM
rufhabit

this is interesting stuff. a "paint is just a brown, black or chestnut horse with white patches. There are two types of patching, tobiano and overo. The features of overo patterning will allow some horses to be nearly all white but there will be a bit of colour in the mane or tail and it is the only time a horse has true white colouration except for socks, blazes, etc. In horse there is a gene called a diluting gene and it makes a chestnut a palamino, a bay into a buckskin etc. if both parents provide the diluting gene to the foetus then you get cremellos which to all intense purposes appear to be white. There is no evidence that a true albino has ever existed in the horse world. Horses do carry a gene for white colouring but if the foetus recieves a dominant white gene from both parents it will die in the womb. Hope someone finds this enlightening
Old 15th October 2002, 01:40 PM

Just noticed the Canberra Cup winner Benmanang is a rig.
Old 17th October 2002, 12:37 PM

hammers,