Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > General Topics
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 1st January 2018, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UselessBettor
Horse racing is full of randomness and chance. It takes a really good data scientist to work through that and find the gems. It also requires a lot of domain knowledge (knowledge of horse racing, etc

That's it, that's what I was looking for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's certainly NOT confirmation of something I already knew, I had pondered as such, as I had pondered many other things as to why random expert programmers hadn't jumped in and cleaned up.

You've rubber stamped it UselessBettor.

Thank you so much
Old 1st January 2018, 01:17 PM

Rubbish
Old 1st January 2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puntz
Rubbish

I'm certainly not a programmer, I haven't the aptitude for it. There's no need to second guess me, it was a genuine question, and something that has been at the back of my mind for a long time. Surely, you being a programmer, would have seen my question and instantly knew that I'm not a programmer, never have been, and don't aspire to be.

I'm a simple win bet only punter.
Old 1st January 2018, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puntz
UB, it's not that simple, if it was yes it would have been done.
but thanks for the suggestion, may reconsider that option.

UB is totally correct, the script was based on an idea, if the idea is sound then it could be re-written in any language.
--moeee
Old 2nd January 2018, 04:37 AM

Shaun,
the script was based on an invite and live demo with the programmer to view the operations of systems running in real time.
Basically I wanted something made to stitch what was there all in one package, including sending the bets, on auto.
It took 6 months to produce after testing and more testings. Then it took me 2 years to get my side of the street sorted, the script. It worked.
We are talking teletext days as the data source, the exact same data you now get online. Hence the updates of the main stand-alone program that runs the script did not happen. So ya left with a dormant script, and other dormant scripts from other clients and an obsolete main program/server.

Snert, same here, punter only.

Here's the catch.
trying to illustrate a concept of one's own methods on a forum does not do justice to our each individual ingenuity no matter where your at as punter, programmer, financier.
Only a few are all 3 who live entirely 100% off the profits from winning bets and nothing else, starting from scratch, zilch, broke to at least moderate "income".
Old 2nd January 2018, 01:26 PM

The reason major automation experts etc don't bother with automating horse racing and sports in australia is that there simply isn't big enough winnings available. Bookies limit anything that wins and the Tote's have 15%+ takeout. Then you're left with betfair who simply don't have the turnover big enough for a really big player or player's to make enough money out of it unless its a major tournament/match. Day to day racing turnover simply isn't big enough, yeh someone could make a few hundred thousand if they are really good but its not like the millions you can make from global stockmarkets if you have solid automated systems. Thats why you don't get stockmarket automation people swapping over.

As far as I know only hong kong races have the size of money involved that allow people to potentially make millions but even in saying that you're still combating other people creating new automations all the time and fighting against the book %, its a much harder game. Share trading/automation all you're paying is brokerage.

The more I look at horse racing the more I believe that whilst automation is a nice thing to aim for its incredibly hard to not only achieve in the first place, but to maintain as well because advantages get eroded. My true belief of automating a system is either to accept a very small advantage and huge turnover like UB does which still only works on thoroughly tested systems or to create your own rating/concept that can in no way be replicated for automation.
Old 2nd January 2018, 03:36 PM

Thanks evajb001, top notch.

All I've ever been involved with is analysing data on Aussie races. The info from you and UselessBettor on this is invaluable. It's a piece of the puzzle I needed.
Old 2nd January 2018, 03:56 PM

It's a piece of the puzzle I needed to confirm that what I'm doing is sustainable because no-one in their right mind would do what I'm doing (which is why it's sustainable).

Racing is as complex as the universe, random but in many ways predictable.