Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > General Topics
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 25th January 2015, 09:25 AM

Smile Can be unlucky?

I have an experience from a long time ago that I think is funny. This was back when you only had betting at tote agencies (or maybe SP). On the TAB wall they placed the fields'. Directly under the field was a wooden box with your betting tickets and these tickets had the corresponding number of the race. So in row three there was a page of runners and directly under a box filled with betting slips with number 3 printed on them. I had a neighbour who was a bit of a desperate. He knocked on my door at about 11 am and asked me to go to the TAB with him. He had never punted before so I asked him why. He said he had blown most of his wages on the pokies at the pub after work and only had enough money to pay the rent. So he had no spending money till next week. He said he decided to put the rent money on a certainty with the intent of winning maybe $50 which he could use for his spending money. He picked out this horse very good weight for age horse called Winfreux. It was 1/3 on in pre markets. He intended to put his $200 rent money on the place which was no risk. So we went up to the tab and this horse was in race 5. He grabbed a ticket from the box below and put $200 a place on No. 1 Winfreux. Well it won easily and remarkably paid as more the place as it did for the win (This did happen at time with very short horses). I think it paid 55c a win and $60c a place. He was over the moon. He went to the window to collect after correct weight and the lady said that it was not a winning ticket. He said of course it was and looked at the tick which showed Horse No. 1. Unfortunately the ticket was a race 6 ticket. Someone had picked up a race 6 ticket and changed their minds and had put it back into the race 5 box (all the boxes were right next to each other so it was a common thing to happen). We checked race 6 and found No. 1 was a Tommy Smith stayer (General something???) having its first run back in a 1000m race. It was about 100/1. It ran nowhere and he went home to face the music. They separated about 3 months after that. But I cant be critical. A couple of weeks ago I placed a bet on Timeless Prince and took the best of the the 3 totes because it was paying more than the fixed price. I put it on Bet 365 and pressed the bet button and then went to look at the market on an upcoming race. Timeless Prince won and I think it paid $7.90. I went back to Bet 365 to check my winnings and there was nothing. I then saw a box on the right side which said the odds have changed and asking me to confirm the bet. I was so furious. Why would you ask to confirm the bet when the odds change when you are betting the best tote price. Of course the tote price will change. That is the nature of the beast. Very careful from now on to see the receipt number on the confirmation notice.

Last edited by Sheehan1 : 25th January 2015 at 09:29 AM.
Old 26th January 2015, 05:30 AM

good story but you need to use paragraphs.

almost impossible to read on a computer.

You
know

what

I mean ?
Old 26th January 2015, 07:54 AM

My classic story i recall at times a horse back in the 90s i think by the name of Hayley's Belle.

I was in the TAB one Saturday and there was a decent race running with some ok runners of the time, well this this horse shoots out and leads them by a good margin in to the straight then just slows to a walk, the race caller was saying she tired but to me it didn't look it so i marked her down as one to follow.

I followed her all over the provincials and the best she could do was a few placings, i thought maybe i hadn't see what i thought i did, every time i went down to back this horse the TAB agent would say i was devoted.

She would always tell me before i even got to her that we almost did it this time, she was following her as well.

Well i have no idea of the year but i know it was NY day she was entered in a race in Sydney and i was planning on heading down there to back her, we as it would be a big night put pay to that cause i didn't wake till 2pm, headed down to the tab to enjoy the rest of the day.

I get there and this woman has this huge grin on her face and says we did it, i am like your kidding and i missed it, didn't have a cracker on her, and the bite is she paid around $125 and $25 a place, i was gutted.

So a few days later i am back at the Tab putting on a bet she comes up to me while i am looking at the form and hands me an envelope and says it isn't much but thanks, she gave me a grand, so i have no idea how much she had in it.

Can't remember ever seeing that horse run again, a few years later i was at the racing expo and i see the trainer he was answering questions about racing, so i asked him about the horse what ever happened to her, gees you never seen a guy make an excuse to leave so quick.

"If the corporates are treating you poorly , just go elsewhere."
"If they need you , they will soon find out."
"If you need them , you will soon find out."
--moeee
Old 26th January 2015, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun
My classic story i recall at times a horse back in the 90s i think by the name of Hayley's Belle.

I was in the TAB one Saturday and there was a decent race running with some ok runners of the time, well this this horse shoots out and leads them by a good margin in to the straight then just slows to a walk, the race caller was saying she tired but to me it didn't look it so i marked her down as one to follow.

I followed her all over the provincials and the best she could do was a few placings, i thought maybe i hadn't see what i thought i did, every time i went down to back this horse the TAB agent would say i was devoted.

She would always tell me before i even got to her that we almost did it this time, she was following her as well.

Well i have no idea of the year but i know it was NY day she was entered in a race in Sydney and i was planning on heading down there to back her, we as it would be a big night put pay to that cause i didn't wake till 2pm, headed down to the tab to enjoy the rest of the day.

I get there and this woman has this huge grin on her face and says we did it, i am like your kidding and i missed it, didn't have a cracker on her, and the bite is she paid around $125 and $25 a place, i was gutted.

So a few days later i am back at the Tab putting on a bet she comes up to me while i am looking at the form and hands me an envelope and says it isn't much but thanks, she gave me a grand, so i have no idea how much she had in it.

Can't remember ever seeing that horse run again, a few years later i was at the racing expo and i see the trainer he was answering questions about racing, so i asked him about the horse what ever happened to her, gees you never seen a guy make an excuse to leave so quick.

now that i can read,

might have been one of Laurie Connell's.
they seemed to win at big prices and then vanish
Old 26th January 2015, 08:13 AM

Thanks for the syntax lesson. Punting can have some cruel twists at times. I recall a few years ago there was a race in Sydney and Snipers Bullet was in. He had been out of form for sometime and had a big weight. He was about 60/1

I thought (notice the new paragraph) he was very good chance. So I tipped him to my brother in law who rang me up for some tips and I had a good bet on him

Well the race caller called him winning the race but when the photo came out he was beaten a lip. Cant think who beat him. I watched the replay and to the naked eye it looked like he won by a head.

Even the trainer, Bartley I think, told the press that he was in Brisbane and watched the race and thought he had one. He was also shocked that the photo showed otherwise.
Old 26th January 2015, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheehan1
Thanks for the syntax lesson. Punting can have some cruel twists at times. I recall a few years ago there was a race in Sydney and Snipers Bullet was in. He had been out of form for sometime and had a big weight. He was about 60/1

I thought (notice the new paragraph) he was very good chance. So I tipped him to my brother in law who rang me up for some tips and I had a good bet on him

Well the race caller called him winning the race but when the photo came out he was beaten a lip. Cant think who beat him. I watched the replay and to the naked eye it looked like he won by a head.

Even the trainer, Bartley I think, told the press that he was in Brisbane and watched the race and thought he had one. He was also shocked that the photo showed otherwise.

beautiful..
music to
my eyes( or something like that)
and a good story too.
Old 26th January 2015, 09:04 AM

Just too add my own bad luck anecdote.
NRL GF day 2013. Betting away as usual and had a few programming errors so I set about fixing them between my selections.
My selections are finalised in the morning and are only changed by scratchings.

Meanwhile up in Hong Kong the meeting was going to commence at about 4PM and final scratchings came through some time in the afternoon.

But i am beavering away on my own problems and didn't get around to doing an update from about 3PM onwards.

Anyhow about 6.30 i did an update of results and scratchings one only to see that after scratchings i have missed one at in HK at 6PM that paid $90 that i was supposed to have $450 on.

Still haven't got over it.