Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > General Topics
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 26th April 2012, 07:56 AM

Default Interesting read.

Old 26th April 2012, 09:42 AM

To a point he makes sense, but for it to work the prices would have to be tied together with some sort of matching process for it to work.

As betfair does now for a punter to get a particular price another person has to be willing to lay at that price.

With TAB the price is dictated by the amount of money on a particular runner.

Would it be as simple as saying i want to lay the fav at $3 to win $10 so i hand over $20 or would i have to hand over $30 to create the pool.

Would it work as a par mutual pool, i can't see this being possible as you would not know what you are going to lose so how would they know what you should be paying.

Betfair pool has both sides in the market so a $100k pool is $50k of back and $50k of lay so looking at the same situation if they were all backing and laying that fav at $3 then the tab would get 15c for every $2 invested so that is $7.5k for this market, they would have to double the current betfair take out to match what they get from a race now.

Not sure if the maths work out correct as the higher the price of the winner the more a backer pays.

the TABs are just not interested in change.

"If the corporates are treating you poorly , just go elsewhere."
"If they need you , they will soon find out."
"If you need them , you will soon find out."
--moeee
Old 26th April 2012, 11:29 AM

the TABs are just not interested in change.

This is the real issue - if they still refuse to accommodate emergencies in the Melb Cup, what hope is there of the TAB's ever making a move away from has served them so well? None, unless of course their bottom line is eroded.

So wouldnt it be a hoot if Betfair not only survived the recent changes but actually prospered? Would have this punter chuckling all the way to the bank
Old 26th April 2012, 12:17 PM

There's no hope if it's a pool or even if it isn't, because the TABs will want in excess of 15% rake from the "pool" making it uncompetitive by comparison to Betfair prices.

P.S. In the good old days, your Holden Special didn't concertina itself around a telephone pole requiring the occupant to be cut out with the jaws of life, or split into two sections. It was also built to last more than five years and had more than triple the layers of paint they scrimp on today.
Sure it can absorb most of the impact, but this is only effective in certain types of accidents. You knew in a rollover for example, the roof wouldn't crush down to seat level.
*RaceCensus now updated to 29/02/2024
Video overview of RaceCensus here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W821YP_b0Pg
Old 26th April 2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norisk
None, unless of course their bottom line is eroded.

I reckon they'd have done their modelling and realised that at the end of the day your average punter couldn't give a toss and will continue to funnel money into the coffers regardless. You just have to look at poker machines and the lotto to realise that for the masses it isn't really about making money.

Why change when you don't have to? I think they're meeting their "average" customers expectations quite nicely.
Old 26th April 2012, 01:11 PM

You would have to think with the corps and betfair that the bottom line has shortened a bit, betfair have a good pool size these days.

I guess some of the corps money goes in to the tabs to even out the best tote price.

"If the corporates are treating you poorly , just go elsewhere."
"If they need you , they will soon find out."
"If you need them , you will soon find out."
--moeee
Old 26th April 2012, 09:36 PM

Well said Angry.

Forget about saving people who may use certain systems found on this site.

If I hear another person with their aggressive hat on, saying how concerned they are about naive punters blindly using certain systems on this forum and therefore such systems should not be printed
I will scream.

If anyone is that concerned for them.

Stand out the front of your local TAB with a placarder , espousing the end is neigh for them, if they continue with their foolish habit of betting where the price drops after your bet goes on.

It makes you wonder how its legal, especially the rounding down to the nearest .10 cent. instead of .05 cents that all other businesses have to adhere to by law.

What would happen if punters bet somewhere else on just the last Sat of each month.
The TAB would soon change a few things , but while mug punters continue to act like mug punters , they deserve everything coming to them.
Old 27th April 2012, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhagwan
If anyone is that concerned for them.

Stand out the front of your local TAB with a placarder , espousing the end is neigh for them, if they continue with their foolish habit of betting where the price drops after your bet goes on.

I might do that this arvo just for a laugh Bhagwan!! Great idea

The Schmile

"I buy when other people are selling.”
― J. Paul Getty
Old 27th April 2012, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryPixie
I reckon they'd have done their modelling and realised that at the end of the day your average punter couldn't give a toss and will continue to funnel money into the coffers regardless. You just have to look at poker machines and the lotto to realise that for the masses it isn't really about making money.

Why change when you don't have to? I think they're meeting their "average" customers expectations quite nicely.

Agree totally Angry Pixie,

I used the restrooms at a club yesterday and had to walk through the pokie room. It's almost like Sci-Fi, watching all these people vacantly stare at these machines, like they're being brainwashed before being sent off to their ultimate destination......

The Schmile

"I buy when other people are selling.”
― J. Paul Getty
Old 27th April 2012, 07:04 AM

Yeh agree AngryP, the only issue being that I seriously doubt the next generation of would be punters will put up with what most here did coming up & will be much more likely to shift to 'sexier' technologies, like BF (if it still exists) & any future spinoffs, or do as most seem to be already doing & mostly bet on sports & often with the corps.

Could be though that wont make one iota of difference to the TAB's longterm but I wouldn't be betting my Tabcorp shares on it (if I had any).

Last edited by norisk : 27th April 2012 at 07:06 AM.