Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Sports and Gambling
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 27th November 2004, 11:18 PM

Hello,

Was just wondering whether any of you fellow punters actually work in the industry in any form-aside from punting :razz:-because I am looking at getting into the industry-harness-horse-greyhounds.

Today I was down at Healsville greyhound track today. I went into the judges box, met stewards, went down to the boxes when they launched, into the kennels, see the doc. The rounds basically. I am looking to get into the PR and Communication/Journalism side of the industry. I have a meeting with the Advisor soon about writing for their mag, and I am also visiting Sandown for some possible work/experience. But from jan15 I will be working casual at Heaslville :smile:.

So does anyone else work in any of the industries. Or know someone who does??
Old 1st December 2004, 12:58 PM

Hey moeee you know Peter Quilty?? I will be learning about greyhound journalism next week when I go to the GRV building for two days with the possibility of gaining some experience and maybe some future work in greyhound journalism. So will get all the hot goss aswell
Old 2nd December 2004, 10:34 AM

yeah i work for a bookie at the horses, we go to meeting such as moruya, queenbeyan, nowra, ocassionally canberra, saphire coast, and the once of year meetings like bong bong, braidwood, all the year hah cowboy meetings,,

heaps of fun, wish i could do it as a full time job.........

jimmy
Old 8th December 2004, 08:00 PM

Does anyone here buy the Advisor a greyhound racing mag??

I will be writing 1 or 2 articles this weekend for either the internet site grv.org.au or the mag. Its just to get a feel for the way the articles are written. As today i was at the GRV office for most of the day with peter Quilty the main journo guy, i also met the people who are actually the watchdog.

Also, Jan 15 onwards I could be assisted judge and assisted steward at heasville greyhound. I will find out tommorow or next week
Old 9th December 2004, 09:49 AM
Suspended

WELL,WELL.
Just mind you don't pop your fly buttons there,Oaksenuf!
I'm still undecided about greyhounds.
Someone at the TAB told me they have a brain the size of a peanut!
Old 9th December 2004, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moeee
WELL,WELL.
Just mind you don't pop your fly buttons there,Oaksenuf!
I'm still undecided about greyhounds.
Someone at the TAB told me they have a brain the size of a peanut!

Since there are very few Greyhound journo's... or of that kind, they make a healthy sum each year i am lead to believe. Plus if i enjoy what i do, that will keep me happy.
Old 9th December 2004, 05:31 PM
Suspended

Possibly few journos do greyhound stories,due to the fact that very few people give a rats-******** about greyhounds.
In fact even with the input I have put into the greyhounds in the last 10 weeks,I still can't find the enthusiasm to enter the Thursday night comp.

Sorry Sportznut,you deserve much better.
But I'll make up for it in 2005 AFL season!
Old 9th December 2004, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moeee
Possibly few journos do greyhound stories,due to the fact that very few people give a rats-******** about greyhounds.
In fact even with the input I have put into the greyhounds in the last 10 weeks,I still can't find the enthusiasm to enter the Thursday night comp.

Sorry Sportznut,you deserve much better.
But I'll make up for it in 2005 AFL season!

Yes that is true. BUT your name in print does help your CV, as I am looking at a few possible avenues in the horse/harness/greyhound industry. I have been using my experience as a Motorsport Journo at local Victorian events to help me get my foot into the door. Plus I would rather find my way around with experience rather than study.
Old 10th December 2004, 12:46 PM

Oaksnaf....heheheheh

That's a beauty of a call name.

Took me a while

B.
Old 10th December 2004, 11:58 PM

Default The Advisor

Hi Oaksnaf
Yes I get the Advisor sent to me each month, it's a publication sent to all registered trainers. Don't know if you can buy it or would be interested in buying it unless you were involved in the industry, let me know if write anything for them and I'll have a look for it.
Healesville, interesting place not that I go there much, long time since I've been there but I know at that stage you could get a bet on, not that an assistant judge or steward should be partaking in that form of entertainment. A lot of slow dogs, but good racing around Healesville Cup time, March I think.