Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Race Betting Systems
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 13th October 2015, 11:16 AM

Default New topweight in NSW

Since October 1st the new topweight is up from 59kg to 61kg in benchmark races. Anyone noticed any differences? #1 losing more often, or somesuch?
Old 13th October 2015, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkermac
Since October 1st the new topweight is up from 59kg to 61kg in benchmark races. Anyone noticed any differences? #1 losing more often, or somesuch?

Hi walkermac,

Bit early to draw any conclusions given there has only been 58 BM races in NSW (1/10 to 12/10). But for the sake of it the top 2 handicapped horses won 17 of the 58 races (29.31% SR) versus the most recent racing season where they won 370 of the 1,606 (23.03% SR) NSW BM races.

Paul Daily - Ratings2Win Pty Ltd (Director)
R2W Axis - Axis is Australia's leading horse racing software and database; with sophisticated form analysis tools and accurate performance ratings that include Hong Kong.
http://www.ratings2win.com.au/
Old 13th October 2015, 06:39 PM

Cheers Paul. I remember when it was first announced and it was all: "Human sacrifice! Dogs and cats living together! Mass hysteria!". I had to go back and see if I had the date right, given how quiet it's been since the change occurred....
Old 14th October 2015, 02:22 PM

By my count there have been 95 horses handicapped on 61.0 or more and the Vic tote return has been 129 units.
The longest priced winner was 19.0.
Old 14th October 2015, 04:29 PM

I am just wondering if the increase in weight is so the jockeys don't have to starve them selves to death and taller one's can have a go

"If the corporates are treating you poorly , just go elsewhere."
"If they need you , they will soon find out."
"If you need them , you will soon find out."
--moeee
Old 14th October 2015, 04:40 PM

Metropolitan Field Sizes And Country Participation
Racing NSW, in the past six months, has undertaken a detailed review and analysis on metropolitan field sizes.
After determining changes which were required to stem the problem, an extensive consultation period was then undertaken.
After taking into account input from the consultation process the Board of Racing NSW has resolved to implement the following changes from 1 October 2015, which are detailed below along with the reasoning behind the changes.
Spread of Weights – Benchmark and Open Handicap Weight Scale
• For benchmark races in NSW, increase the benchmark weight and minimum topweight from 59kg to 61kg.
• For all other non-Group races, except two year old, maiden and class 1-3 races, increase the minimum topweight to 61kg at the time of weights release, 61kg for benchmark races and increase the minimum topweight to 60kg at acceptance time.
The compression of weights in benchmark and open races has created a disincentive for horses at or near the bottom of weights to contest these races. This is especially the case where a horse may be nominating in stronger or higher benchmarked races.
Increasing the benchmark level and minimum topweight level of open handicap races from 59kg to 61kg, achieves a 2kg increase in the spread of weights. This opens up these races to a greater number of horses.
“The increase in the benchmark weight and overall spread of weights will make for more competitive races and improve winning opportunities for more horses at the bottom of weights,” said Racing NSW’s Chief Executive, Mr Peter V’landys AM.
This new spread of weights sees a minimum 14 point range (increased from 10 points) between the topweight or benchmark level weight in races and horses on the limit of 54kg. As such more horses can carry a weight equating to their benchmark, without being disadvantaged by the weight scale.
Click on the following link to view the full document:- Metropolitan Field Sizes and Country Participation [PDF]
In addition, Racing NSW has introduced a ninth race to the metropolitan card, from December 1, 2015.
Approximately 40 Saturday meetings in Sydney from that date will feature a ‘Highway Handicap’ under the following conditions:
a. Restricted to bona fide country-trained and domiciled horses;
b. Races programmed at Class 2 or 3 level, with a mix of handicap and Plate races;
c. Prizemoney of $40,000, equivalent to the midweek level;
d. Run at a variety of distances between 1000m and 1800m inclusive;
e. Run at approximately 40 Sydney Saturday meetings
“Initiatives like the Highway Handicap have only become possible given the NSW State Government announcement on Wagering Tax Parity,” said V’Landys.
“Accordingly, we again express our immense appreciation to the Baird Government and in particular the Deputy Premier and Racing Minister Troy Grant.
“The Highway races will provide country trainers the encouragement to tackle city racing and give country owners the added thrill of having their horse race in Sydney on a Saturday.
“This represents an important further step by Racing NSW to build the vibrancy of racing in this State by featuring our crucial country sector.”
Old 14th October 2015, 04:55 PM

Post moderated. Off topic. Moderator.

Last edited by Moderator 4 : 16th October 2015 at 09:40 AM.
Old 16th October 2015, 12:38 AM

Post moderated. Off topic. Moderator.

Last edited by Moderator 4 : 16th October 2015 at 09:40 AM.
Old 16th October 2015, 04:38 PM

I know weight matters, but it's still strange that a horse losing the rider at the barrier still only runs first by half a length?

Scone race 8 today. Hope the rider is OK I had no sound so didn't hear what happened.
Old 17th October 2015, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdog1
I know weight matters, but it's still strange that a horse losing the rider at the barrier still only runs first by half a length?

Scone race 8 today. Hope the rider is OK I had no sound so didn't hear what happened.

The horse probably just wanted to run along with his mates, being a herd animal. I saw the race but didn't hear what happened to the jock.