Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > General Topics
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 1st March 2017, 08:09 PM

Default BF Bots run on a server

Just interested if anyone runs there befair bots on a server or cloud type thing? Not sure of the correct terminology sorry, but in other words, run your bot hosted somewhere else so to avoid any issues of leaving your home PC on all day at home?

Does betfair allow this, and if they do are there any issues on where the server/host would have to be based country wise? Being I have my account registered in NZ, does this mean I would have to find a NZ based host?

Any tips or suggestions on the best way to achieve something like the above? Would love the ability to be able to access it from my work computer as well so I can load things up if I dont get time in the evening/morning before hand.

Cheers
Old 1st March 2017, 08:34 PM

I use BF Bot Manager v2 to trial stuff. I still haven't found one easily preset system that works but the bot itself works fine.

They have a deal with a VPS provider that I've looked at but couldn't come at the expense. There may be others around but have a read of the following web site.

(I have no affiliation with them - I just use their bot).

https://www.bfbotmanager.com/help/16

― Earl Nightingale
Old 2nd March 2017, 05:12 AM

Thanks Ocho, will check it out.
Does that allow you to manually choose which horses you want to back or lay, and enter upper and lower price limits?
Old 2nd March 2017, 06:34 AM

You can manually choose a horse but I'm not sure if you can set an upper and lower limit for each individual horse with the v2 bot. The v3 bot may do this as you can use multiple strategies.

Have a look at their website. They have manuals for each bot and settings and you can trial the bots for free for a few days.

― Earl Nightingale
Old 2nd March 2017, 09:44 AM

Default Running BF remotely

Thorns,

There is no issue running BF off a server - I do it, and I run BF when I am in the USA from a server in Sydney.

That said, I operate several servers for my business but they may not be the best solution for you. They are expensive to set up and operate. You are looking at at least $2k in hardware and license costs, plus about $200 per month if you need to have your computer run from a data centre.

What is wrong with leaving your home computer on all day? I work from home and have about 10 computers , most of which have not been switched off in 12 months.

If you have box at your house that is set up the way you want, then you can install some free software like TeamViewer or LogMeIn on your home computer and laptop then access the home box from anywhere in the world.

To answer you other questions - BF restricts some countries from accessing their sites - USA for example BF cannot be accessed via a browser or any computer trying to access the api. You can get around that by using a geoblocker - but the above scenario is much simpler to setup and costs zero
Old 2nd March 2017, 09:57 AM

Only reason I'm not so keen on leaving it running on the home PC is that there are curious "little" hands at home that like to push buttons, flick switches, anything that they are not meant touch in other words.

Might not be a full blown server I am after, I think its more the VPS you can hire for lower monthly fees, like the one linked to by The Ocho.

Thanks for the heads up though about country restrictions, so will definitely check that before I go ahead with any hiring or buying.
Old 2nd March 2017, 01:13 PM

depending on what you run AWS EC2 instance is the easiest method to do it. You can get free trials for very small machines.

I have the same issue but just run it from home as

1) added cost to run a decent server (m3large is $ 189.59 per month)
2) significant cost to move my database into the cloud. ($902 per month)

If you run the cheap low machines its ok but they probably won't be quick enough for what we need.

Overall while there is great benefits in the cloud its very costly and not worth it. I can run a redundant server at home for backups for just one months cost in the cloud.
Old 5th March 2017, 11:28 AM

I use Betsender. They reccommend Tagadab in the UK for a VPS. I trialled it but didnt really suit my purposes and a bit complicated. I ended up purchasing a cheap laptop i use exclusely for the BOT. I access it remotely when I'm away using LOGMEIN app on my IPAD. Works brilliantly.
Old 5th March 2017, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UselessBettor
depending on what you run AWS EC2 instance is the easiest method to do it. You can get free trials for very small machines.

I have the same issue but just run it from home as

1) added cost to run a decent server (m3large is $ 189.59 per month)
2) significant cost to move my database into the cloud. ($902 per month)

If you run the cheap low machines its ok but they probably won't be quick enough for what we need.

Overall while there is great benefits in the cloud its very costly and not worth it. I can run a redundant server at home for backups for just one months cost in the cloud.

I have also used this service in the past, depending what your needs are, eg, simple bet placement then a small server will do fine, if you are trying to trade then it may not suit you.

I ran a t2 micro at the time but you may need a t2 small, i was able to run gruss and excel fine with this setup, the best thing about it is you could turn it on at the beginning of the day and shut down at night to save money, even when shut down it would cost you around $15 in idle and about $30 if you ran it for around 6 hours a day, this increases as the size of your server increases.

It was good because i could control from my phone or the desk top, now i just run a virtual drive on my laptop, i find for my needs of being able to run a bot with excel and also work on other excel projects with out conflict that this works fine for me.

"If the corporates are treating you poorly , just go elsewhere."
"If they need you , they will soon find out."
"If you need them , you will soon find out."
--moeee
Old 9th March 2017, 12:13 AM

Smile

I use VPN Secure so that I can connect to a server in the UK to watch the UK races live via BF. They are a few seconds ahead of Sky channel. They won't let Aussies watch the feed for who knows what reason. VPN Secure cost me $39 for a lifetime licence but it wouldn't solve the problem of leaving the PC on. I still have to do that.