Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > General Topics
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 12th August 2004, 03:21 AM

I'm amazed at the very little talk on this forum regarding laying horses on Betfair.

Note the time of this post, whilst a little weary, I'm doing quite well laying favourites in the U.K and U.S.A.

Anyone else having a crack?

Perhaps Mark could share some ideas apart from his own "back the field" method.

Anyone welcome to join in :wink:
Old 12th August 2004, 07:20 AM

I'm turning over around $1,000,000 per year making books on UK races nearly every night, that are over 100%.
Recently won 65 days in a row. People still tell me it can't be done. I'm not a religious person, but for me, Betfair is a godsend.
Old 12th August 2004, 05:13 PM

I actually purchased price predictor pro for this purpose. It's actually quite hard to find a losing system that would work on betfair. You would probably need to stick with s/p's of 10/1 and under probably show a LOT of at least 40% for a laying system to be viable.

Are you using a system Chrome or just reading the form?
Old 12th August 2004, 05:32 PM

I'm not specifically using a system, just laying all favourites in fields of 10 or more.
I listen to the track odds come over the net radio just before the off, and lay the favourite if I can get less than the bookies on track price.

Last night there were strange movements indeed. Oncourse a horse was 11/2 Favourite and I got $3.40 on Betfair. That horse went into $2.80 then blew out to $5.50!

So after cursing I stood to payout too much, I actually got a much better price.

Old 12th August 2004, 05:36 PM

My guess is this would work quite well given the liquidity available on betfair on uk racing these days. The price on the fave on the uk market seems to be very close to the sp. What's the liquidity like on us racing?

Do you lay just seconds before the off or anytime the price dips below the bookie's?

Old 12th August 2004, 05:42 PM

Quote:
On 2004-08-12 18:36, Dan wrote:
My guess is this would work quite well given the liquidity available on betfair on uk racing these days. The price on the fave on the uk market seems to be very close to the sp. What's the liquidity like on us racing?

Do you lay just seconds before the off or anytime the price dips below the bookie's?

US racing is not quite that of the UK, but I really need a net radio service for the US races to make any decisions. I only just started looking at the US recently, so it may be better than I indicated.

I listen to the readout over radio which comes about 5 mins before the off, then they update 2 mins to jump with how the betting is going, I usually bet within 2 mins to jump unless I see a glaring opportunity.
Old 12th August 2004, 05:54 PM

Do you have a link for the net radio?
Old 12th August 2004, 06:10 PM

Dan, I don't have one for the U.S. yet, but the best audio, prices, commentary and race calls are here:

http://213.249.252.242/racingradio/

(you need to have Windows Media Player for it to work right I think).
Old 12th August 2004, 06:20 PM

Thanks for that, i assume the link only works when the day's racing is about to begin?
Old 12th August 2004, 06:32 PM

Try http://www.espn.com-horse racing, you should be able to watch some US races. I used to use http://www.northamericanracing.com but it seems to have disappeared.

CP
Do you listen to UK races on willhill radio?

IMO you can't beat UK races for value, volume & volatility. A word of warning re US races, they don't always start at the advertised time. I've seen them jump 30 minutes late, but also go off 10 minutes early.