Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > General Topics
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 30th January 2019, 10:58 PM

"Police have also confirmed that the three men have been released without charge, pending further enquiries." - Source The Age.

The key here being "pending further enquiries."

If the three stooges deny having or knowing of any of the evidence seized during the raids, then Police have to release the men. They can only hold them for a period of time. However, forensic evidence such as fingerprints, DNA etc. still have to be conducted. I believe that Police have kept much of the story and findings to themselves at this stage as it might hamper the investigation, and are also examining irregular betting trends.
"A small amount of cocaine was found", I believe that's not all they found.
Enough for now, it will all unfold in due course....
*RaceCensus now updated to 29/02/2024
Video overview of RaceCensus here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W821YP_b0Pg
Old 31st January 2019, 04:51 PM

"It is understood still pictures were shown to Weir when he was interviewed on Wednesday by detectives from Victoria Police's sporting integrity unit.
While he initially co-operated, he refused to answer questions relating to the images." - Source The Age.
Old 1st February 2019, 08:35 PM

Racing Victoria stewards have charged Darren Weir with six offences under the rules of racing and asked him to show cause as to why he should not be suspended pending the hearing of those charges.

Three of the charges stewards laid against Weir relate to the use of "jiggers" or the use of electronic devices to deliver an electronic shock to affect the performance of a horse.

The show cause hearing involving Weir began with stewards at 4pm AEST on Friday via a telephone hook-up with the trainer being asked to show cause as to why he should not be stood down.

In the meantime the dramatic decision was made by stewards to scratch all Weir and Jarrod McLean-trained horses from the Moonee Valley meeting on Friday night and at Caulfield on Saturday. As part of that ruling stewards ordered all Weir and McLean trained horses accepted for races before Tuesday be scratched.

The Age report

― Earl Nightingale
Old 2nd February 2019, 08:41 PM

I'm quite sure there is more to this story than jiggers, betting patterns etc.
I must remain tight lipped, but what I have heard is a lot more that hasn't been publicly announced. Racing Victoria is in damage control, so I understand why they wouldn't release any further information.
Old 5th February 2019, 08:39 PM

It looks like Darren Weir will be disqualified for 4 years for the use of jiggers only (nothing else appears to be coming out).

― Earl Nightingale
Old 6th February 2019, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ocho
It looks like Darren Weir will be disqualified for 4 years for the use of jiggers only (nothing else appears to be coming out).

Well, a jockey and trainer were rubbed out for 3 years previously, so the message was clear.
4 years seems appropriate in these circs.

I didn't think the penalty was fair in the first instance and I don't think so this time around either.

Unless they have video to prove the usage as they did in the last case, I remain dubious.

As to using an unidentified, unbanned substance, what a joke!
Identify it, make sure it's performance enhancing in the first place, then talk about it.

A lot of ill will and jealousy in racing. The incompetent alway crying foul of the successful.

Make no mistake, I'm not saying, nothing illegal ever happens, but many of these 'crimes' are piddling affairs, that make no difference to the race outcome.
I'd be more wary of the quality of the rides.
Old 6th February 2019, 02:28 PM

I don't think 4 years is fair either.

He's pleaded guilty to using the jiggers, and they were hidden away on the property suggesting that he knew it was wrong to use them.

Life would be more appropriate.
Old 6th February 2019, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdog1
I didn't think the penalty was fair in the first instance and I don't think so this time around either.

Unless they have video to prove the usage as they did in the last case, I remain dubious.
According to Racing Victoria he wasn't charged with their use, Weir was charged with their possession (to which he pleaded 'no contest'). It's more than likely that photos and videos exist of them being used but there's no way that anyone who supports the racing industry would want that vision out in the public realm. (Early on in the piece it was reported that Weir was assisting police with the inquiries but refused to comment on a photograph that they had; police also have phone taps and video surveillance, per the Herald Sun).

The crime of possession is a far easier one to prove in either a court of law or under the Racing Appeals and Disciplinary Board. He is still under investigation by police by the way, the RAD decision could be just the beginning of his troubles.

The maths and analysis in racing interests me more than the horses themselves. That's not to say I don't care about their welfare though. I'm pretty naive with respect to training but I had hoped that the essential techniques wouldn't be too dissimilar to how a Little A's kid could prepare for a Carnival (given unlimited time and resources). Would you electro-shock a kid to make them run faster? No? Then don't do it to a similarly intelligent creature. I'm not interested in watching a race to find out which runner responded to torture most efficaciously.

I suggest that people who are blasé about some of the news coming out of the Weir investigation attempt to sense the winds in wider society and try to influence good practices in racing, lest they are imposed (harshly) from elsewhere due to industry inaction.
Old 7th February 2019, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkermac

The maths and analysis in racing interests me more than the horses themselves.
I'm a stats man myself, you can argue with but but never beat them.
(disclaimer, true and proper stats, not made up crap based on wishful thinking)

Performance matters, but again it is all confirmed in the stats.
Old 9th March 2019, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ocho

4 years is a joke, nothing else seems to be coming out because as I said before along with previous cobalt scandals, jockeys punching horses, and stomach tubing horses or injecting them pre race, Racing Victoria is in damage control, they have to "charge" him with the possession of jiggers, the police will charge him with the possession of an unregistered firearm both found in his bedroom, but I know for a fact that there is more to this story that hasn't been published. Basically it's a big cover up. How do I know for sure? A member of my family worked with Weir.

Like I said before, sand hills my ass!