Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Sports and Gambling
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 22nd February 2006, 01:39 PM
Suspended. Invalid e-mail address.

Default F1 2006

In this F1 betting thread I'm going to start with 100 units and keep track of my results. I'm not an expert gambler - just a punter, but I've had success each year I've bet on F1 (last 4 years regularly) but not tracked the results exactly. No doubt this year that I do something like this in front of everybody I'll have a losing year... but that's ok, I've got a truck load of excuses ready if that turns out to be the case

Next week they have some serious testing at Barcelona, and each year this gives a pretty good indication of who's doing well and who's got some work to do. By who I mean which team, not driver.

Liable to change (a lot), here's my list of teams in order of fastness so far:

1) Renault
2) Honda
3) Ferrari
4) McLaren
5) Williams
6) Toyota
7) Red Bull
8) Toro Rosso
9) BMW Sauber
10) MF1
11) Super Aguri

Interestingly Renault and Honda are the quickest teams now, but it is likely that Ferrari and McLaren will finish the year the strongest as they have more resources to put into development of their cars throughout the season. So futures betting is a nightmare.

The big factor for Ferrari is Bridgestone tyres, which have improved from last year. They must continue to improve for Ferrari to show their potential.

This is likely to be the closest championship for years. We could see 7+ manufacturers on the podium this year, and 4+ on the top step. MF1 and Super Aguri are the only no hoper teams this year.

Centrebet have opened their F1 prices for winning the championshop today, so today I place my first bets.

Honda look good value - they appear to be considered the 4th best team by Centrebet. Button is paying $13 and Barrichello is at $21. I'm spending 7 units on Button (possible payout 91 units).

Renault are stong and Fisichella is no mug, so at $21 that looks like value too. 3 units on him for a possible 61. At $3.75 Alonso looks borderline value to retain his title. However with both Ferrari and McLaren admitting they need to improve their current car to win the championship he's probably no.1 right now. Therefore 4 units on him (pays 14) just to cover me if neither of the longer shots get home.

OB 100
To win champtionship:
1) Button 7 @ $13 (91).
2) Fisichella 3 @ $21 (63)
3) Alonso 4 @ $3.75 (14)
CB 86
Old 22nd February 2006, 04:23 PM
Suspended

I remember you from last year.
You were vrey clever
I will follow you tips but will make a unit at $2

Cheers
Old 6th March 2006, 03:57 PM

I've looked at the other popular Australian online betting shops and have decided Centrebet is not really the best for Formula 1, their prices are ok, but their range of options isn't so good - they don't have Constructor championship betting for example. So from now I'll use IAS, Sportingbet, Sportsbet, Centrebet or TABSportsbet. All of 'em. Same as what's used in the betting comp.

The quotes in my first post are still available, but Sportingbet has better prices on Fisichella at $26 and Alonso at $4. That won't last long. Neither will Renault winning the constructers championship at $3.80 and I've decided to plonk a few on that now while I can.

OB 86

Contructors championship:
- Renault 6 @ $3.80 (22.8)

CB 80

The average available price on Honda and Renault has gone down over the last week, and Ferrari has blown out a bit as anticipated.

McLaren has improved their car a lot over the last week or so, seemingly improving both reliability and speed. This isn't so good for our bets but this was always the danger. We're betting for value and sometimes that means not betting on the deserved favourite. I think the McLaren value will improve anyway. Renault still look very strong and Honda continue to look good too, so I'm not worried.

IAS has put their prices out for the first race at Bahrain but they seem to agree with me in their form assessment of the teams (Honda is a bigger favourite than Ferrari) so better value will come from others hopefully.

I'll be on Alonso to win at the best price possible and Fisichella for the podium. Will post my bets when I make 'em.

Last edited by Mofo : 6th March 2006 at 04:06 PM.
Old 9th March 2006, 11:09 PM

Here are my bets for Bahrain. Could be more to come, after practice or qualifying, but we'll see...

OB 80 Units

Sportingbet
Fisichella Podium (top3) 5 Units @ $4

This is a very good price - highly recommended

Sportingbet
Alonso Win 2 Units @ $3.60

Sportsbet
Liuzzi Top 8; 1 unit @ $8.00
T
Toro Rosso team may surprise. They are the only team running restricted V10's this year, many of the V8 teams are compaining they aren't resticted enough. If nothing else they will be reliable and so this is a good bet too.

Centrebet
Barrichello Pole 1 units @ $12

Button in the other honda is a likely contender too, but Barrichello is a much better price. I'm guessing Honda will be more likely to adopt a 3 stop strategy than their nearest rivals because evidence so far suggests they don't look after their tyres as well as Renault, McLaren and Ferrari. This will mean less fuel in the tanks for qualifying meaning a better lap time... that's the theory anyway.

Sportsbet
Montoya vs. Button: Button 2 units @ $2.00

Montoya is $1.95 in same head to head at Sportingbet, but Button in a reliable Honda is my pick.

CB 69

Lets go Renault!!!
Old 13th March 2006, 06:47 PM

Default Bahrain debrief

Fisichella Podium (top3) 5 Units @ $4
Lose: Retirement.
Fisi suffered mechanical problems in qualifying which got worse during the race, eventually leading to his retirement. With a more reliable car this might have been a better result. That's motor sport... it was a good bet - it just didn't get there.

Alonso Win 2 Units @ $3.60
Win 7.2 units.
Not surprised Alonso won, very surprised how close it was and who was second (M Schumacher).

Liuzzi Top 8; 1 unit @ $8.00
Lose: Finished 11th.
Didn't quite have the pace in the end. This price came in to $3.50 before qualifying.

Barrichello Pole 1 units @ $12
Lose: Qualified 5th.
Never really looked likely.

Montoya vs. Button: Button 2 units @ $2.00
Win: 4 units.
Button came home in 4th edging out Montoya. Montoya was $1.75 favourite everywhere before qualifying.

Net result for Bahrain: +0.2 Units.

Current balance 80.2

Futures

Contructors championship: Renult 6 @ $3.80
Bet looks Good. Early days but Renault on equal top.

Drivers Champtionshop:
- Button 7 @ $13
Bet looks OK. Button was in to $9 before Bahrain. Had a good showing in Bahrain finishing 4th so that won't change too much.
- Fisichella 3 @ $21
Bet looks Not Good. Fisi had a shocker. Not his fault, he had some kind of mechanical problem with the car and failed to finish. Still, a poor result.
- Alonso 4 @ $3.75
Bet looks OK. Alonso won, so he's on top and deserved favourite. I say the bet only looks 'OK' because the competition this year is tougher than ever.
Old 16th March 2006, 02:48 PM

Default Malaysia

Oh boy, this is tough. When everyone is running strong and only 1 race and some pre-season testing to go on to assess form, how do you pick a winner? I have half a mind just to keep my hands in my pockets this weekend and not bet on the Malaysian GP at all. Fortune has it, however, that my mind has 2 halves and the other half is a drunken crack addled whore mongering mofo, who can't resist a bet every now and then.

I've been in the tank over the past few days, deprogramming myself, breaking everything down, forgetting all I know and everything I think I know about F1. [A pause for perfect Zen]. Then building that knowledge back up again from scratch with no fear nor favour. I'm not convinced that it's worked. There are too many unknown variables. I could provide very solid reasoning for any of up to 5 drivers to win in Malaysia, and another reason why all the reasons provided for each driver is total ****.

Oh well anyway... finally, after each knowable factor has been considered on it's merits and weighted against the odds, for better or worse, I have reached a conclusion:

Sportsbet
Winner
M Schumacher 3 units @ $4.00

In Bahrain Michael proved Ferrari are strong. Williams proved Bridgestone are strong. That's a winning combination.

Sportsbet
top 3
Fisichella 4 units @ $4.25

Fisi has been victim of bad luck over the last 12 months. If he is given a reliable car he will perform. This remains a good bet.

IAS
head to head: Rosberg vs. Webber
Rosberg 2 units @ $1.95

Battle of the Williams'. Rosberg was quicker than Webber in Bahrain. This rookie is smelling a lot like Raikkonen and Alonso to me. A genuine potential future champion.

CB 71.2

Last week I was at a bucks weekend, this weekend I'm attending a wedding and the following GP I'm at another wedding. So that means I have limited time to post here at the moment, but I'll do what I can with the time I've got and if possible I'll add some post qualy bets. Otherwise...

Go Schcumacher (and Fisichella)!!!

... and to a lesser extent Rosberg
Old 20th March 2006, 03:58 PM

Default Malaysia Debrief

After a busy weekend going on harbour cruises, weddings and club cricket semi-finals (yes, I've been a busy boy) I settled in on my couch prepared to watch the Malaysian GP. I thought lying down would be more comfy. It was.

2 and a half hours later I awoke to the sound of the Italian national anthem and saw Fisichella spraying champaine over his team mate Alsonso and Honda driver Jenson Button, who took 3rd.

I was completely unable to follow any part of the Grand Prix weekend and so will pore over the results and news articles over the next few days to catch up with the details.

The results were good, thanks to Fisichella, and it was almost a perfect result for futures bets.

OB 71.2 Units

M Schumacher 3 units @ $4.00 to win
Bet result: lost.
Schumacher lost 10 places on the grid due to an engine change so this bet had no hope after that.

Fisichella 4 units @ $4.25 to top3
Bet result: win (17 Units)
Qualified on pole and raced strongly to win comfortably. It will be interesting to see if Fisi continues to offer any value for the podium in Melbourne.

Rosberg 2 units @ $1.95 to beat Webber
Bet result: lost
Engine failure forced the young charger out although Webber was in front when he retired.

CB 88.2 Units (+20 in futures)

***Net result for Malaysia: +8 units***

Futures

Contructors championship:
- Renult 6 @ $3.80
Bet looks Very Good. Early days but Renault in front and looking strong.

Drivers Champtionshop:
- Button 7 @ $13
Bet looks Good. Button 2nd in championship with 11 points.
- Fisichella 3 @ $21
Bet looks Good. Fisi 4th in championship with 10 points.
- Alonso 4 @ $3.75
Bet looks Good. Alonso 1st in championshop with 18 points.
Old 21st March 2006, 08:55 AM

took your fisichella tip mofo and put some hard earnt on him, good bet keep it up mate
Old 23rd March 2006, 05:41 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks punta, I'll endevour to do so

And just by the way - to everybody - if any folks out there have opinions on the bets in this thread, or anything F1 in general then let me hear it! It's always good to hear other POV's.

Cheers,
Old 28th March 2006, 01:00 PM

4 Units on Alonso to win Australian GP @ $3.15 at Sportsbet.

More bets and comments following shortly...