Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Sports and Gambling
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 3rd November 2004, 08:38 AM
Member.

Well, this is what we were worried about when Stuart McGill wasn't picked for the tour, wasn't it? Shane Warne's out and it looks like Hauritz is going to play in the 4th test. I'm sure he'll try his damn best, but wouldn't it have been nice to put McGill straight in there. Lucky we've won the series already!!!
Old 3rd November 2004, 09:48 AM

I think S.C.G McGill is a bit too forthright for a lot of people if thats the right word .
dont get me wrong I would have had him on the plane but im not a selector

[ This Message was edited by: Floydyboy on 2004-11-03 09:50 ]
Old 3rd November 2004, 10:02 AM
Member.

Well, I've never quite been able to work that out. Sure he's said and done a couple of things to put him offside with a few people, but what about Warne??? The 'golden boy' has been able to get away with the bookie scandal, the phone sex scandal, the drug taking scandal etc etc etc, and he always gets a spot in the team.

Anyway, did you hear about what McGill did yesterday for NSW against WA? Incredible.

[ This Message was edited by: sportznut on 2004-11-03 10:15 ]
Old 3rd November 2004, 11:20 AM

HA and they was a move to make him skipper as well at one stage
And what startled me more Ian Chapell (like him or not)who I personally think has got the greatest cricketting brain around was behind the move ....One of if not the greatest leggies theres ever been ......Captain Material ,NOT
Old 3rd November 2004, 11:39 AM
Former Member

I agree that Warne probly isnt a role model but where Chappelli and a lot of us rate Warney as a one time potential captain are that his cricketing brain is second to none to any player in the AUS team and probly even in world cricket, except for maybe Steven Fleming.
Unfortunately, he has digressed off the field to many times to ever hold the lofty mantle of Australian captain.
Old 3rd November 2004, 12:38 PM
Member.

Stuart MacGill has just been involved in an incredible partnership against WA at the SCG. When he came in yesterday, NSW was 9-200 and struggling. The other batsman Dominic Thornely was on 76*. Well, after nearly 3 hours in the middle, McGill was finally dismissed this morning for 27 after being involved in a 219 run partnership for the last wicket!!! Thornely made 261* and broke the record for the most sixes in a first-class innings in Australia. Instead of just having a wild swipe as MacGill often does, he batted very sensibly and just defended while Thornely went beserk at the other end. There's still some great Cricket played in the Pura Cup. Just a pity that nobody ever watches it.

[ This Message was edited by: sportznut on 2004-11-03 12:51 ]
Old 3rd November 2004, 01:25 PM

Yeah well theres always a lot of echos ringing round the grounds .....Here I go again back in the time machine ...... years ago there wasnt anywhere near as much cricket played test players made regular appearances in the Sheffield shield side Good for A)spectators B)experience for up and comers to mix it with the class players for years now the gap between pura cup (if ya like) and test cricket has been enormous......
I believe however without the advent of Kerry's Cash and the one day cricket circus .Cricket would have died a slow death
I am not a One Day fan but .If you speak to people who might go to one dayers youll find a lot of them arent interested in the five day game .... but one day cricket gets the bums on seats because its exiting ,,,,, but it aint cricket entertainment YES cricket NO and it seems to me now that the stepping stone to the test side is through the one day squad not through the shield (pura cup)
Old 3rd November 2004, 01:30 PM
Member.

Well, you probably won't be very happy with what's going to hit us in the next couple of years. Have you heard of 20/20?

[ This Message was edited by: sportznut on 2004-11-03 13:31 ]
Old 3rd November 2004, 01:31 PM

20 overs isnt it did they give it arun in egland or something recently
Old 3rd November 2004, 01:34 PM
Member.

Give it a run??? It's taken the place by storm!

Yeah, it's twenty overs a side, and you get to see both teams bat in about 3 hours of entertainment on the one night. The crowds are absolutely flocking to it. It's the next big thing.