Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Racing
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 5th September 2009, 04:38 PM

Default New Whip Rules

Is it just me, or do the on pace horses seem to have much more of an advantage now with these new whip rules. Watching races on Sky, it seems like when a front runner kicks on the turn, in a lot of cases its very hard for horses coming from behind to make much headway with their restricted use of the whip now.

Any thoughts on this..?

Paul
Old 5th September 2009, 06:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauls123
Is it just me, or do the on pace horses seem to have much more of an advantage now with these new whip rules. Watching races on Sky, it seems like when a front runner kicks on the turn, in a lot of cases its very hard for horses coming from behind to make much headway with their restricted use of the whip now.

Any thoughts on this..?

Paul
Pauls123,
My thoughts on it are that the people that thought the rules up are the biggest mob of idiots I have ever seen.
Could you imagine being on half a ton of horse, there are 6or7 of them fighting out the finish and the hoop has to count how many times he whips the damn thing. Apart from being nearly impossible to do it also makes it a lot more dangerous for the hoop as often they use the whip to control a wayward horse.
I see Corey Brown got 13meetings suspension for trying to win the Wyong Cup.
A few months ago if a jockey didn't show all the vigor that the stewards thought he should he got a very long suspension for not trying.
I think it is going to make it easier NOT let a horse win which could benefit some layers on betfair that are in the know.
I really think that all jockeys Australia wide should go on strike until these stupid rules are changed.
Old 5th September 2009, 06:18 PM
Suspended. Invalid e-mail address.

Paul,

There you go.....instead of complaining about the new whip rules....use it to your advantage...here are a couple of ideas......

..if on pacers are winning more races...look for on pacers and back them.

or....look at the jockeys who have adapted best to the new rules....do you know how to analyze the performance of jockeys?
Old 5th September 2009, 06:33 PM

Peter Pan, I totally agree with you there. Actually I backed Lodge The Deeds yesterday in the Wyong Cup. Just after the race I was wishing C Brown would have ridden his mount a little harder, oops...! However as it was pointed out on some site on here, just what comeback would the connections of Mr Clangtastic have had, had LTD got up by a nostril instead of being beaten by that margin. It has been clearly stated that no protest will be heard in such a case.

THAT becomes the grey area in this farcical new rule.

Joelance, yes I agree with your remarks also. I've long been a backer/follower of on pace runners and sectional times. It is STILL the only way I can make a profit in this game (bets in 10 races today for 8 winners with multiple bets, just a pity most of the shorties saluted).

Your comments regarding the jockeys, "..do you know how to analyze the performance of jockeys?.." Just what have you got in mind.

Paul
Old 10th September 2009, 02:23 PM
Banned

Whip rules remain unchanged and at this moment the hoops at Ballarat and Hawkesbury are having meetings to decide whether to go ahead with the meetings.

This could really escalate and IMHO I don't blame them even though it will effect me as I bet daily.
Old 10th September 2009, 04:08 PM

As much as I would hate to see meetings cancelled, particularly on saturday/s, I say "good on the jockeys" for taking this stance. I believe all associated in the racing game want to see the mount they own/back/train whatever, given the best possible chance it has of winning the race.

Paul
Old 10th September 2009, 04:56 PM

Support them totally.

Why make two changes? why not factor one change in, ie. the new whip, see how that goes for a bit rather then have a new whip and new whip rules.

Totally stupid to me, and good on the jocks
Old 10th September 2009, 05:43 PM

Talking

Goodonya Schmuckta,
You have made an independent observation........!

Cheers.
Old 10th September 2009, 05:43 PM

It was well known to be coming, but I did not hear anyone complaining, I made some remarks along those lines on an other forum.

It has nothing to do with the welfare of horses and everything with placating the noisy PC animal rights crowd.
First they want to stop jump races, then the whip, and after that, watch out, they go for gallops.

I'm not being alarmist because it's never going to happen, but given the chance, I bet you, that's what they want and giving in to them on anything, is just encouraging them.
Some horses are lazy they will not perform without some force.
As someone said, it's wide open to abuse and how can you even prove it?
After all the jock only followed rules!

No profanities please. Moderator.

Last edited by Moderator 3 : 12th September 2009 at 09:44 AM.
Old 10th September 2009, 09:13 PM

Thumbs down

is racing a horse 2 miles too far... maybe the melbourne cups next to go!
lots of my good mates are racehorses and they are very well looked after and love nothing more than racing!!
Well done to the jockeys, make a stand now before a horse loses a group 1 because the jockey was following the rules..
the new rules are an utter disgrace