Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Racing
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 9th October 2001, 08:00 PM

How are people thinking about the Cox Plate?
It looks like Fred is having big trouble keeping Northerly sound enough to contest and despite Sunline's win on the weekend I am not convinced that she can win it again. That race was put on for her the other day with the conditions
to suit and I am unconvinced about her.Universal Prince doesn't look a Cox Plate horse though maybe he is and then there are the 3 yos which I favour by exclusion of the above and by
merit of them being the best we have seen for a long time.
Which one I go for will probably be settled at Caulfield on Saturday. What do you reckon?
Old 9th October 2001, 08:08 PM

Northerly is fine. He had a good track gallop last Thursday over 1200 metres.
Personally I do not like to get too far ahead of things. I will look at the Cox Plate once the field and barrier draws are known. Unfortunately the race is no longer a decent betting event. When unknown quantities like the overseas horses are added the race loses attractiveness from a betting perspective as far as I am concerned.
It's tough enough backing winners with local exposed form without overseas horses being thrown into the equation as well.

[ This Message was edited by: Mr. Logic on 2001-10-09 20:09 ]
Old 10th October 2001, 08:53 AM

I agree entirely about the OS horses, I wish they would stay right away from a punting perspective. However there have been a lot of them here now and a lot of them with big booms on them but only one has won anything. History is starting to tell us we are fairly safe to dismiss them.
I wouldn't be so sure about Northerly, how did he pull up after that gallop.
No doubt that earlier plunge on him in the Caulfield Cup was stable inspired, then he goes like a crab, albiet winning, to his great credit at Caulfield and then plans are all up in the air.
Old 10th October 2001, 12:09 PM

Make that two of them.
Old 10th October 2001, 12:50 PM

Northerly pulled up fine. It was an impressive workout.
Re overseas horses it seems the heat may affect them on racedays. Cool weather on Cox Plate Day makes the race even tougher. My feeling is I probably will not bet in the race. If all punters boycotted races with overseas horses they'd soon have better races to bet in - you can bet the overseas horses wouldn't be here.
I'm not desperate to bet in every race so I am quite happy ignoring races where everyone else has to "have a go".
Old 10th October 2001, 02:55 PM

I think if Sunline is allowed to lead without much pressure the race is already over. If Primrose Sands or Viscount or others apply pressure than it might be Universal Prince. If Viscount tries to match it with Sunline in the lead they might have to put him down the next day because he'll have his ass out his mouth. Primrose Sands will also be coming of a Caulfield Cup run so you would think it would be hard pressed to back up and win a Cox Plate.
Old 10th October 2001, 09:07 PM
Dailyimpact

Hello everyone, thanks for admission to your forum. I am from Hamburg/Germany and have a natural interest in Silvano. Can someone tell me how a genuine 2.000 m horse can handle this course, particulary the stretch ? Thank you all for your kind assistance, which I shall pass on to Andreas Wöhler and Andreas Suborics without delay.
Old 10th October 2001, 10:14 PM

DailyImpact
Have you seen the description of the Mooney Valley track on this site?

http://www.propun.com.au/horseracin...oneevalley.html
Old 11th October 2001, 12:32 PM

Dailyimpact, have a look at this link as a good guide to how the race has been recently run. Short straight as you will have found out but this race is definitely not a place for horses weak at the end of 2000.

http://www.racingandsports.com.au/i...art=indepth19p1

What's the confidence in the Silvano camp like as we haven't got much of a clue how to rate these visitors.
Old 11th October 2001, 02:39 PM

This is my first post. Dash for Cash is running in the Guinneas this satday and it is still nominated for the Cox Plate. If it runs well on Satday and still runs in the Cox Plate than that will be my tip at very good odds. Sunline will win if the other jockeys have brain explosions like last year.